Swing Discussion Boards > A Running Lindy Diary

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by leee, Apr 11, 2013.

1. leee

leee Well-Known Member

Yeah so I saw myself on video during a lesson and yeeeesh, I don't think I'm going to J&J tonight if my swingouts are going to look so bad.

2. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Video... probably even better at promoting humility than a dream in which an instructor said, "You aren't nearly as good as you think you are."

3. ralf

ralf Active Member

The swingouts in the Jedi Swing J&J weren't exactly perfect....

(they were suprisingly good given the blindfolding)

leee likes this.
  4. leee

leee Well-Known Member

If only the swingout that I did was as good as those in the video -- which is pretty awesome and fun, btw, thanks!

More humbling! There's a weekend workshop that required auditioning for all track. I registered as a C (the highest is a D), but when I saw that some of the best dancers in my local scene didn't make it to D, I got the feeling that I wouldn't make C. Indeed I didn't, which wasn't so bad since I could see how good the dancers were who did make it, but I was also among the last cuts to make it to B. Overall, I'm not too fussed because I've gotten loads from the classes, but it does nag a little bit. Especially since I was so tired by the end of the audition that my technique got really bad at one point!

5. leee

leee Well-Known Member

And now I'm in what feels like a post-partum funk, distinct from the swungover feeling.

6. Siggav

Siggav Moderator Staff Member

Post weekend workshop mix of exhaustion including mental overload and returning to reality and your normal smaller dance scene?

If it helps, in my experience a part of the funk is just because you care and genuinely want to get better which means that you will, it can just take a bit of time sometimes. Ive just had a jumping up from a plateau so Im feeling super happy about my dancing right now but I know it won't last, I'll get stuck at another plateau and go through the full emotional rollercoaster all over again

twnkltoz and leee like this.
  7. leee

leee Well-Known Member

Mix in some ~unrequited~ stuff, and yeah, this.

That does help! It's like, Why do we do this to ourselves? (Rhetorical question, of course.)

8. ralf

ralf Active Member

Another PittStop come and gone.

I'm tired.
    I'm sore.
    When can I do it again?

juwest333 and leee like this.
  9. juwest333

juwest333 Active Member

Haha. Pittstop was awesome this year!! Gordon Webster is the best!

I've been feeling happy non-stop for a day afterwards and now I feel sad.

10. leee

leee Well-Known Member

No dancing the week of Thanksgiving, so now I'm a terrible follow again.

11. Siggav

Siggav Moderator Staff Member

Jack and Jill Prelims I took part in last weekend. I'm in the first heat there, in the bright salmon pink/reddish dress. I really lucked out with my partner for the first set. He ended up coming in second and is an amazing dancer. I had a really good time.

Didn't make finals but no worries at all there because the standard was so high. Although it's always somewhat cringe worthy watching yourself back but still I try to see it as a learning opportunity and I really did have fun so all good.

leee likes this.
  12. leee

leee Well-Known Member

Delightful! Really nice rhythms with both partners, but I agree with you, your first partner is pretty fab. There was a little footwork variation in your first dance, around the third 8, that I liked a lot!

To catch up a little: I've been very blah about my dancing since the end of the year, but I've also started taking some beginner ballet classes (and in case anyone's been keeping track, my feet so far have held up after two classes -- hope that continues!), and almost immediately I've been more aware of my posture and alignment in my swing, and the last dance that I went to also happened to be the most fun I've had at a social in months.

13. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

That was fun! Good job!

14. leee

leee Well-Known Member

Last night the troupe I'm in taught us noobs a routine where guys were follows, with a couple air steps. So much fun!

twnkltoz likes this.
  15. leee

leee Well-Known Member

I had the most fun at a dance in ~ages~ last night, and the weekend workshop I've been looking forward to is THIS WEEKEND. I think I'm finally emerging out of my funk!

Siggav and twnkltoz like this.
  16. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

Sweet sauce!

17. leee

leee Well-Known Member

IMPORTANT URGENT QUESTION!!!!

Wristbands should on the lead's left wrist, yes?

18. Steve Pastor

Lead or follow?

19. leee

leee Well-Known Member

For this weekend, I'm leading. One of these days I want to do a workshop as a follow.

20. Steve Pastor

I was pretty sure that was irrelevant, anyhow. Left of Right - Does it matter? Don't know.