Swing Discussion Boards > A Running Lindy Diary

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by leee, Apr 11, 2013.

1. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

For the leader, I don't think it matters. for the follower, it might get in the way if on the right, but not that bad.

2. leee

leee Well-Known Member

If I think about it, having it on my right could scratch the follow if we're in closed hold.

3. leee

leee Well-Known Member

Exhausted, but I got some confidence back, mostly because a dance crush of mine said that my dancing has been revolutionary since we last danced (apparently 1.5 weeks ago, of which I have no recollection!).

PS if you ever get the chance to see Frida in person, do it, because her swivels are devastating.

twnkltoz likes this.
  4. leee

leee Well-Known Member

5. leee

leee Well-Known Member

A couple of us were rehearsing this routine, but because we were 4 guys and girls at the time, I followed. That lift at 2:44 though? I'd never practiced it as a follow before, and let's just say I learned how dangerous it is for a guy to be in that position.

6. twnkltoz

That little bitty thing? :p

leee likes this.
  7. leee

leee Well-Known Member

I'm going to choose interpret that the other way... :oops: but basically my unfamiliarity with the lunge right before left too much space between and my lead (we're supposed to be body-connected), which led to something of a collision between his thigh and my crotch. It didn't make me double over in agony, but I wasn't 100% for a few minutes after that.

8. twnkltoz

9. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Kneed in the crotch? Think I'll pass on that on.

10. Siggav

Siggav Moderator Staff Member

I've been having more fun at blues again, I'd gotten a little bit stuck in a rut but somehow the weekly socials have been super fun these last few weeks.

I've got a month of teaching lindy coming up next month and then a month of teaching blues after that's finished so I'm reasonably busy.

Then there's a solo jazz workshop this coming weekend now that I'm looking forward to although I think it'll be somewhat difficult.

My lindy has been a little bit messy recently because I've been on a kick of really enjoying rhythm variations and making different rhythms with my feet which means that I end up not caring that much about the "proper" footwork and it can make things a bit untidy (but also super awesome when it works). I've given myself permission to juts carry on having fun with that for now. Can't learn how to do it without interrupting the lead and stay super responsive without practice.

leee and twnkltoz like this.
  11. twnkltoz

I don't have anything to report except that I got out for LH last night for the first time in weeks and had a great time! Swing dancers are so fun.

12. Steve Pastor

THE JITTERBUG is the one dance which spells youth, vitality and the sheer joy of living more than all other dances.
    There are hundreds of regional dances of the Jitterbug type.
    A favorite with young New Yorkers is the Lindy Hop.
    Arthur Murray. 1947

I've gathered that it's SUPPOSED to be fun.
    I keep trying to talk people into going to the Wednesday evening swing event here, but with no success.

13. leee

leee Well-Known Member

Just go, Steve!

14. Steve Pastor

Anyone been to Rusty's Rhythm Club in Santa Monica? I plan to stop in there on a trip to LA.

15. leee

leee Well-Known Member

Oh no I've become one of THOSE*!

* dancers who go to a venue mostly to socialize and dance a handful of songs and call it a successful evening

16. Steve Pastor

It's not so bad.

17. twnkltoz

Yeah...I've gotten to the point where if I don't dance that much, but the dances I have are mostly good ones, and I have fun socializing in between, that is far more fun for me than dancing a lot but having it be mostly crap.

Steve Pastor likes this.
  18. leee

leee Well-Known Member

I used to not get that mindset at all, but I left very satisfied. Turning many new leaves lately -- not the ones I expected or hoped to, but it's a neat feeling, all the same.

twnkltoz and Steve Pastor like this.
  19. leee

leee Well-Known Member

I watched two guys dancing together, and they were utterly amazing. They didn't do much typical social lead/follow (although they were connected), but more along the lines of call/response, where one guy did something and then his partner responded similarly. They were basically battling, and throwing in so many moves from outside the swing vernacular, it was just awesome.

Siggav likes this.
  20. Siggav

Siggav Moderator Staff Member

I should have been at a blues weekend in Dublin this weekend but I had to cancel because I got struck down by flu. Gah. First time I've ever on purpose not gone on a booked flight.

Im still sick so won't be going to work tomorrow either.