Swing Discussion Boards > A Running Lindy Diary

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by leee, Apr 11, 2013.

1. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

That sucks! Sorry to hear that. Feel better soon!

2. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

I was going to go to Fair City Blues, too, but life interfered. Sorry you're not well -- having to skip a dance weekend is bad enough, but for illness? Arrgh!

3. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Was hoping to at the least hear some swing era music after a day of meetings in Portland this last Wednesday. When I got to the place I had been going a few months ago, the doors were locked.

Well, the event moved, but... lo and behold... the place they moved to has a band that plays western swing. Yee Haw.
    Oh, and the Lindy Hop Society now has Thursday evening, not the same night as that other swing music will be played.

4. leee

leee Well-Known Member

Recovering from another bout of illness, and last night I was very low-energy, i.e. getting out of breath from dancing back-to-back songs. Really, the best thing that happened all night was when I got home and found a sock that had been missing.

5. twnkltoz

Awww sorry you were sick! I hope you're back to normal soon.

My boyfriend is learning ECS and I took him to his second dance on Tuesday night. He had a lot of fun. It was really fun for me to have him there...most guys I've dated had no interest in learning to dance, so the fact that he's making the effort means a lot!

leee likes this.
  6. Siggav

Siggav Moderator Staff Member

I was away in Copenhagen for their lindy exchange last weekend. I had lots of fun, although the combination of a slightly overcrowded venue and amazing bands led to me getting kicked quite a bit. Big thanks to the leads I danced with who managed the floorcraft impossibly well.

The bands were amazing, the speeds were up so my fast swingouts got a work out. Im happy but tired now but unfortunately picked up a cold (as you can do) so am feeling a bit under the weather right now so probably no dancing this week.

leee and twnkltoz like this.
  7. leee

leee Well-Known Member

I haven't been social dancing lately, but the one bit of progress that I've noticed is that magically my swivels are coming much more naturally now.

twnkltoz likes this.
  8. leee

leee Well-Known Member

Some homework that the teacher gave us in class is to cook up a little choreography of 16 8s -- nice little challenge! Who knows, maybe this will be the first step to realizing my dream of creating something for this.

9. Siggav

I was at the Mooche last weekend and one of the highlights was a "discussion" aka rambling chat as a class with Peter Loggins talking about the history of swing dancing and the people he'd talked to and what he'd learned.

Steve, it would be right up your alley, lots of stuff about pre lindy swing dancing, differences between the east and west coast. Written sources, interviews etc. etc. we went over time and I would have happily listened for another hour or two.

10. Steve Pastor

Peter, and others, including me, used to interact on his CalJazzDance and DanceHistory sites. And I've "seen" him doing some stuff on Wikipedia. The sites he had were dropped when he moved to new Orleans a "few" years ago.

A hearty round of applause here for the admins who keep this site up and running, and the mods who volunteer their time to keep the place sane.

I was just getting started at this, and Peter had been doing it for years. I keep running into things he discovered, and thankfully posted, on YouTube. Then there are the interviews (Balboa) and lectures that were recorded and also put on YouTube. He must have spent many, many hours at the UCLA film archive.

I have been looking at what Dean did on film in 1940 and 1941 and comparing it to early step sheets, and what Laure Hailé wrote as Western Swing; and, for others, West Coast Swing, and looking at what else was on film then, and a few years before he broke into the movies.

I'm often thinking of Peter, but don't want to be bugging him all the time. (same with Skippy Blair)
    I look at his Facebook page now and then, but have yet to find his "coming events." One day (when I'm done trekking and climbing mountains?) maybe I'll do more dance travel, and I am really thinking of asking Peter to look at what I end up with in all this crazy research I've been doing. But that is still fairly far in the future.

On something of a tangent, I see that Rusty Frank, organizer of the weekly swing event in LA that I attended last month, wrote a book about Tap Dancers. I ran across that in a WorldCat search I did recently.

I'd like to spend more time in the local Lindy/Balboa scene, but haven't gotten there yet just because of logistics challenges, etc.

leee likes this.
  11. leee

leee Well-Known Member

There was a nice beginner with whom I danced a song, and after we parted ways, she came back and grabbed me for the next song. Unfortunately it was faster in tempo and I'd used up all my moves already, but it was a flattering gesture!

twnkltoz likes this.
  12. Steve Pastor

Man, I've ALWAYS used up all my moves already!

twnkltoz and leee like this.
  13. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

LOL !!!

14. Siggav

I realised I've not posted in ages, I've been busy.

The blues dance festival I helped run (the Spoonful in Edinburgh) went really well, very exhausting to do but very good fun as well. It kinda used up a lot of my energy so I kinda lay a bit low after that.

I did go to Iceland though for some of the Arctic lindy exchange there and had fun there but the thing that I hadn't expected is that it was so nice to get back to Edinburgh and be at the regular socials there once they started up in September now.

I.e. I just want to give a shoutout to the lovely dancers in my home scene, you're all awesome. I.e. I've had a really good time at the regular socials.

I do lead a fair bit now but it was also nice to be able to drop that mostly and just dance as a follow by my own choice, when the ratios are really uneven I always end up leading more, even when I'm not fully in the mood for that which leads to less fun evenings for me.

I've got balboa brunch tomorrow, looking forward to that and then it's our lindy exchange weekend after, should be really good fun, but probably somewhat exhausting again.

I think my dancing has gotten better, I'm a bit more relaxed and playful again after having a period when I was a bit too much in my head.

twnkltoz likes this.
  15. Have you considered a Wordpress blog? Not absurdly challenging to set up and would allow you greater creative freedom than a forum.

16. Siggav

This is sort of a collective diary by lots of people chipping in so the forum set up works quite well.

Anyway I spent last weekend at London Balboa Exchange. I had a really lovely time there and am head over heels with balboa all over again.

17. twnkltoz

I like having it here for all of us to compare notes!

18. dialikatou

dialikatou New Member

Hi I am very interested in being a member of this dance forum as i am very interested in Zomba for health benefit. If there is anything in my local area in Dublin. I am looking forward to hearing from you. Thank you.