Tango Argentino > A tanda for...

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by tangobro, Dec 23, 2012.

1. TomTango

TomTango Active Member

Does anyone know a good tanda for Francini/Rufino - Meolida Oriental?

2. rain_dog

rain_dog Active Member

Good question. I'm not that familiar with Francini or Francini/Pontier, so this is based on me poking around my music library (I also don't have any of those big tango discographies, so there may be more out there).

I could only find three tracks of Francini with Rufino, though Francini-Pontier recorded more. So here's what I might do:

This would be a huge super-dramatic tanda, so I would probably consider playing only three of them. Hope that helps!

3. rain_dog

rain_dog Active Member

So what do people like to pair with Fresedo's Buscandote?

4. UKDancer

UKDancer Well-Known Member

It's perfect on it's own, but for a tanda, perhaps:

Buscándote, 1941
    Alas, 1940
    En este rincón amigo, 1941
    Hablemos claramente, 1941

5. TomTango

TomTango Active Member

Thanks! Tried the first three songs as a tanda on Sunday (I couldn't get a hold of the last one). Calaves Blancos didn't really work, but Los Dias Pasaran was alright. Pretty sure we'll have to mix singers to get this to work.

6. koinzell

koinzell Active Member

What are some good tracks that go well with Torrente (Troilo/Marino)? They have around 40 tango recordings together and I don't want to listen through them all :D

7. UKDancer

UKDancer Well-Known Member

I've played it in the following tanda, but it is hardly a penance to play the Troilo/Marino repertoire ... :eek:
    • Nada más que un corazón, 1944
    • Rosa de tango, 1944
    • Torrente, 1944
    • Canción desesperada, 1945

8. koinzell

koinzell Active Member

Are there instrumentals that one could pair Fueron Tres Años (Hector Varela) with? Ledesmas vocals in the other recordings are too crazy for me.

9. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

I can't directly answer your question, as I've never looked for instrumentals to go with that song.

We appear to have radically different ideas of what's crazy, as I've had no problem finding other Varela / Ledesmas songs to go with it.

[​IMG]

UKDancer likes this.
  10. koinzell

koinzell Active Member

Looking for a third song to complete this mixed tanda...

11. newbie

newbie Well-Known Member

The last one in the Song Title Identification Thread would be fine (Dany in Moscow)
    But you'll have to identify it first.

Another idea is Apurate que cierra el Coreano
    h t t p s://w w w. yout u be.com/watch?v=cQTJPe2RhoM

12. koinzell

koinzell Active Member

Yeah, I identified the Flaco song to be to be La Naranja Nacio Verde

13. koinzell

koinzell Active Member

How would you complete a Calo vals tanda of:
    Flor de lino
    Luna de plata

El mismo dolor is not acceptable

14. newbie

newbie Well-Known Member

Bajo un cielo de estrellas
    Pedacito de Cielo

Tactically speaking, I would place Luna de Plata last, as the last piece of a tanda is supposed to make the audience not want for more.

15. TomTango

TomTango Active Member

Any DJs out there want to share tandas they know of/have made with Merceditas (Orquesta Simbolo Osmar Maderna)? It's a great song and seems to be popular among salon performers as of late.

I cobbled together a functional one, but it mixes instrumentals/singers and orchestras (what?!). I think there are probably better ones out there. Part of my problem is I can't find many songs by Orquesta Simbolo Osmar Maderna in the US.

Portenisimo - Miguel Calo
    Mi Dolor - De Angelis
    Entre Tu Amor y mi Amor - De Angelis (Godoy)
    Merceditas - OSOM (Rivas/Aldao)

16. Xenophon

Xenophon Member

I don't think it's a great answer, but if I had to do a tanda using Merceditas using the tracks on hand, it would be something like:

Aquellas Cartas (Maderna con Rivas, 1959)
    La Huella (Maderna, 1959)
    Pa' La Guardia (Maderna, 1959)
    Merceditas (Maderna con Rivas, 1958)

I'd personally be pretty cautious about playing this though. Maybe late at night at a long milonga, after something very high energy, when you've got plenty of goodwill built up, the floor has cleared a bit, and you know that you have good dancers looking for something a bit different. At the wrong time, I think it would kill the evening.

17. pascal

pascal Active Member

The thing is, it's not a tango.

18. TomTango

TomTango Active Member

I'd love to find some accompanying songs to go in a tanda with Duo Fuertes Varnerin's version of Pobre Flor.

So I'm looking for modern faster valses with vocals (male vocals if possible..duet male vocals if we're reeeaaalllly stretching it).

Thanks for the help!

19. ArbeeNYC

ArbeeNYC Member

I hear it played often at local milongas.

20. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Hi Tom , this really is a difficult task. A traditional tanda should comprise music from the same recording session that also shares more or less the same style or mood.

In 1957 was recorded (besides Melodía oriental)
    Espérame en el cielo
    Destino de flor
    and the instrumental Cabulero
    (with Destino de flor being the only piece I really would like to dance to)

I do not like all the Lipesker-Rufino stuff taken in 1959

So perhaps you have to take something out of the Pontier-Rufino recordings from 1961,
    f.i Clavel de aire (which would make a fine tanda besides Destino de flor and Melodá oriental)

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017