Salsa > Advice on 'when' to use shines please?

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by ricky123, Aug 29, 2016.

1. ricky123

ricky123 New Member

Hi,

I've been dancing 18 months and have just been to a huge social where I had lots of dances.

I had quite a few compliments about my dancing and my lead from the ladies I danced with (hooray!!). I am at a stage now where I have enough 'moves' to be able to further develop my social dancing.

However, when I danced with some of the ladies, especially some of the more experienced dancers, I could tell they wanted to dance some shines as where we were apart from a few seconds, they would immediately start to go into a shine. In my inexperience I was unsure 'when' to go into a shine. I didn't do any shines (although I know some from lessons), as it was a bit nerve wracking, haha.

So my question is, when is the best time to do a shine, is it at a particular part of the music? (musicality). I did watch some experienced dancers and they seemed to do shines at any part of the music. Also how to I start, do I just let my partner go? How long do I carry on for?

So many questions!!

Many thanks in advance!
    Rich

2. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

Do shines when the music says so.

MintyMe, MaggieMoves and Rhythmdancer like this.
  3. Angel HI

Angel HI Well-Known Member

Forgive me for coming in late, but I was passing by, and your post caught an interest. The answers to your questions are, "Yes". Shines are; Free-styled movements, off-step syncopations, embellishments, stylizations, etc. that may be danced as the dancer feels. Either one of these things may accentuate; something in the music, something in the dance, something in the step, and/or something within the partnership. They may be led or allowed. The 'trick' is to be familiar or comfortable enough with the music, step, and partner to lead/allow/execute/follow a shine without interrupting the float of the dance. My advice... take a few basic moves, and find the places where a shine might 'fit in'; then, play with it.

Lastly, how long should they last? They are embellishments. Although, they can last from half of a step/measure to half of a song, my preference is to dance 'with' my partner. I will dance a shine only long enough for either her or I to...shine, and then I'll move on.