Ballroom Dance > age category question

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by friday12, Jul 10, 2017.

1. friday12

friday12 New Member

Hello,

Would like to hear your opinion. Would you recommend for a strong girl who just turned 7 y. old to dance with the boy who will be 10 y. old in a couple of months? If they dance NDCA events- what age category will they dance? What are pros and cons? Thanks.

2. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

Amateur couple...... better to dance USA dance

middy and Borazine like this.
  3. friday12

friday12 New Member

their studio does not participate in USA dance...

4. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

That's kind of unfortunate from a quantity of competition standpoint, but I suppose it is what it is. Anyways, the most relevant age categories are:

Pre-Teen I: 9 years old or younger
    Pre-Teen II: 10th or 11th birthday
    Junior I: 12th or 13th birthday

I suppose this somewhat depends on your location, but my inclination would be to not hesitate to pair them up. Male dancers at that age are uncommon enough that it's seldom worth not at least giving opportunities a go. If it doesn't work out, well, partnerships don't have to be forever. Just so long as she's learning along the way.

Sania likes this.
  5. friday12

friday12 New Member

Thanks. Its not very clear that PT2- is 10th OR 11th birtday. Does it mean that if you are 10 y.old you can still dance 1 year in PT1?

6. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

Sorry, I cut off part of the rulebook that I probably shouldn't have.
    The age categories I cited were a through c. The verbiage is still a bit clumsy (imo), but a 10 year old won't be eligible for PT1. There's no particular reason your daughter couldn't compete in PT2 though - although that's obviously one of the major "cons" you were asking for. That is, she'd be competing against 11-year old children, and can be a lot of body development between 7 and 11.

FancyFeet likes this.
  7. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Then maybe you should ask the studio...

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  8. Requiem

Requiem Member

Or ignore the studio and do USA dance competitions anyway! :D

Loki, middy, Borazine and 1 other person like this.
  9. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

That said, if everything else is a match (ability, personality, goals, height, parental commitment, etc.), it could work just fine, and in a couple of years will matter less.

I've definitely seen young couples with a big age difference... and by the time they move through syllabus and get to youth or adult, they've got this connection and ease of working with each other that is just unreal.