General Dance Discussion > ALL advice/help is much appreciated! First recital on SUNDAY, tips/tricks/advice? :)

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Nicole Rose, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Nicole Rose

Nicole Rose New Member

So on Sunday, it's going to be my FIRST recital. (Hip-Hop btw, one of them being Bad & Boujee). Our last rehearsal is today and then we are performing on Sunday. Any advice, tips, tricks, for performing on stage? Here are some questions that I have

Where do you look? (straight, one of the audience, etc)
    What facials do I do? (tips, videos, practicing them in the mirror at home, etc)
    Best ways/methods to practice the routines (6 routines btw)
    Do I practice without a mirror?
    How do I get ready and have the right mindset days before the performance? (like preparing today and Saturday)
    How to prepare the night before and in the morning on Sunday (Sunday being the day of the performance (at 3:00)?
    Tips before I step on stage?
    How do I stay calm and confident (and have fun!)?

If you have any other things you will like to add, all advice/help is much appreciated :)
    Thank you so much!

~Ammie~

2. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

Welcome! We're mostly partner dancers, but are a friendly and helpful group./\

You may find the following useful: http://www.dance-forums.com/threads/topics-of-interest-for-new-competitors-index.1373/

Things that I found particularly useful for my first few performances:
    • Try on your costume(s) in advance. Practice in them if possible.
    • Practice doing your hair and makeup ahead of time.
    • Make a packing list and pack your stuff early enough in advance to be able to run out and buy things you may have forgotten/broken/lost since you last used them.
    • Absolutely practice running your routines without a mirror/outside of the studio if you never have. A new environment can make everything feel really different.
    • If you're feeling nervous, do something to take your mind off the performance the night before. (I sometimes take myself to a movie.) Then get a good night's sleep.
    • Warm up beforehand. Twice, if needed. (I deal with a lot of nervous energy, so this helps me settle.)
    • Bring snacks and water. Make sure you eat/drink something the day of, even if it's something small.
    • Preventatively (and perhaps obsessively) go to the bathroom before you go onstage.
    Good luck and have fun!

j_alexandra, Borazine and raindance like this.
  3. Dancey

Dancey Member

Good luck and enjoy! Just remember to keep going and don't make a face if you make a mistake :) Here are some of my thoughts/stuff that works for me!

I try to look straight out toward the middle/back of the audience. I don't like seeing individual faces...and it keeps me from looking down.

Run them repeatedly so they get into muscle memory. Any parts you find tricky focus on repeating those until it's more natural. It helps so you don't have to think as much on stage (for me that's when I blank out).

Absolutely do this. We always start dancing 'off the mirror' in class a few weeks before the show, and the first few times are a disaster. It helps you realize how much you are watching others (even if you don't know you're doing it) and dancing in a different orientation in the room.

I like to sit down, close my eyes, and run through the routine in my head. Visualizing being on the particular stage, with people in the audience, etc.

I like to stretch out and do whatever relaxes me. The morning of I will run through my routines one last time, but not over-do or over-think it. I also try to eat what I normally would, so nothing weird happens with my stomach! Nerves tend to get to my stomach so I'll maybe eat less than normal, but still enough.

I usually try to avoid running through the routines right beforehand, it tends to get me anxious and then I confuse myself. I think about something else and enjoy the performers dancing before me!

4. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

Great advice by the others. Once you hit the floor ....own it!!!

5. Nicole Rose

Nicole Rose New Member

Thank you all for the wonderful advice! I'll tell you how it goes tomorrow :)

raindance likes this.
  6. lauraberney

lauraberney New Member

First of all, best of luck on your performance! Give it your best and be confident on stage. Would like to hear about your performance experience.

7. davedove

davedove Well-Known Member

1. If you make a mistake, don't let it affect you. Odds are no one noticed. I have looked back at videos where I thought I made a big mistake and it's hardly noticible, and then only because I knew where to look.

2. I'm always super critical with myself, but you should never admit what didn't go as well as you planned to the general audience.

3. Don't worry about what the audience thinks. You're up there doing the performance. They're all out there sitting on their tails.

4. Have fun!!!!!

8. newbie

newbie Well-Known Member

It took place three weeks ago.

Borazine likes this.