America's ballroom challenge returning to PBS

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by debmc, Aug 2, 2014.

1. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

It looks like the pro events at Ohio will be televised on PBS...not live though, from what I can tell. That is great to get some TV coverage of authentic dancesport! So glad it's back!

2. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I am going to encourage everyone I know who thinks DWTS represents ballroom to watch OSB instead! Time for the lay people to see what real ballroom looks like!

3. jiwinco

jiwinco Active Member

Very excited! Just saw this on Facebook
    :dancingbanana:

4. GGinrhinestones

GGinrhinestones Well-Known Member

This is a great idea! Hopefully, we'll get an idea when this is going to air in enough time to spread the word.

SwayWithMe and Dancing Irishman like this.
  5. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I hope it gets good ratings. I am soooo tired of people outside the dance world thinking that what is on DWTS represents ballroom. It will be great for them to see what the current top group of pros look like and what the actual dances look like!

6. ACtenDance

ACtenDance Active Member

This program is what got me interested in ballroom dancing. Glad it will be produced again!

Phil Owl and Hedwaite like this.
  7. little_mouse

little_mouse Member

What page are you following for this? I would like to follow it too.

8. Hedwaite

Hedwaite Well-Known Member

This makes me very happy.

9. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

Me too! Happy, happy happy.......

Now, I've got to figure out how my DVD recorder works......

10. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I think it is on the Ohio Star Ball page.

little_mouse likes this.
  11. TakeTwo

TakeTwo Active Member

Ditto. The announcement came from them in my Facebook news feed. It's also on the OSB website. So stoked!

debmc likes this.
  12. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Any word on hosts/commentators?

13. kckc

kckc Active Member

14. middy

middy Well-Known Member

Mary Murphy is one.

15. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

I really hope she leaves the hot tamale train parked at the station...

16. dlliba10

dlliba10 Well-Known Member

Oh man. Whatever you think about Mary Murphy, I'm glad it's two ballroom people doing the commenting and not poor Ron Montez dealing with questions like "What's the little flicky thing he did with his foot?" from the non-ballroom commentator.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
  17. middy

middy Well-Known Member

OMG yes.

"Oh what is that one move they're doing? How is Latin different from Standard? Those costumes sure are shiny! Dancing seems pretty hard. Don't they train a lot?"

18. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

I should clarify: I like Mary Murphy a lot; I just really don't want to hear her yelling "WOOOOHOOO!!!" in the middle of a great showcase by Mazen and Iza (or whoever ended up doing the showcase routines).

danceronice likes this.
  19. Mengu

Mengu Well-Known Member

I don't think MM will be playing her SYCYCD character on PBS. What we saw of the opening and closing scripts, they are appropriately down to earth. I expect both Mary of her co-host Tony Meredith will be scripted in a similar fashion to the previous PBS shows.

20. leee

leee Well-Known Member

WOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOH, A SEDATE AND SCHTICKLESS MARY MURPHY BELONGS ON THE HOT TAMALE TRAIN.