Ballroom Dance > Dancing on TV > America's ballroom challenge returning to PBS

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by debmc, Aug 2, 2014.

1. snapdancer

snapdancer Well-Known Member

2. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I'm hoping that the ratings were good enough for this to be aired again next year, and perhaps as the show is evaluated and feedback is given there will be more of the actual rounds of dancing displayed.

danceronice likes this.
  3. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Here is an interview with the show's creator:

In the past, America's Ballroom Challenge has always been either two hours or five. Why three hours this time?

The great thing about our previous five-hour format is that it allowed us to devote a whole hour to each of the dance styles – American Smooth, American Rhythm, International Standard and International Latin – and finish off with the grand finale. That meant we could include not only the spectacular showdance solos but also the group dances, where all the couples are on the floor at the same time. Unfortunately, five hours was more than we could afford this season, but we didn't want to scale back to two hours, because it's so hard to cram four different styles and a grand finale into 120 minutes. So, in consultation with PBS, we developed a new three-hour format. It allows us to devote one hour to the two American styles, one hour to the two international styles, and still have an hour left for the grand finale. Our emphasis is on the showdances, but we also have enough time to dip into the group dances just to give a sense of that part of the competition. We're very pleased with the result.

Mengu and islandia55 like this.
  4. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

When everyone does the same thing and it's all quasi-contemporary rolling around and pained faces? It's like mid-1990s ice dance when everyone was competing to see who could be the most pretentious and dramatic. Boring. The only interesting one was "You Can Leave Your Hat On." It's a show dance, do something fun, not something painful, or if you want to be arty really PUSH it, don't just do "OH ALAS PAIN SORROW".

theAnnelis and mindputtee like this.
  5. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

"The swing" aka "swing jive" There was some West Coast in there (along with some (for me) very unnecessary "mugging"). In general I don't think people used the music very well, but then I'm, not a swing jiver.
    That Doobie Brothers song was an "interesting" choice of music.

6. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

if by interesting you mean its about time they used some different music i agree

7. open_mind

open_mind Member

I enjoyed the show dances, but here is opinion of the general public for you: my mom is not new to the concept and appearance of ballroom since I've been doing it for a while, but she said she was bored watching last week of Ballroom Challenge and was looking forward to this week DWTS episode, which is more entertaining for her.

8. bia

bia Well-Known Member

I bet that a good part of this is that viewers get to know (or feel like they know) who the DWTS competitors are and develop a rooting interest based at least as much on that as on the dancing. Even without extended behind the scenes packages and a chance to see the same dancers over multiple weeks, this is something that the commentators could help with. They do know the dancers -- they could give more backstory. They could also talk more about what the judges are seeing. On DWTS, the viewers get to hear the judges' reasoning, such as it is, so again they can feel more engaged in the competition process.

debmc and Bailamosdance like this.
  9. DerekWeb

DerekWeb Well-Known Member

Low budget vs high budget

10. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I was thinking that as well. I think there was no 'backstory' of the dancers which may make it harder for viewers to connect with the dancers. In other sports coverage, the commentators often include relevant detail about the athlete performers and there may even be sidebar interviews. Of course in order to do that you would need more time for the show.

Larinda McRaven likes this.
  11. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

And they might need to address the fact that some couples cover two styles - they kinda glossed over the fact that the same Peter and Alexandra from the Smooth were on the floor again for the Rhythm (as in, didn't mention it at all).

theAnnelis and mindputtee like this.
  12. Mr 4 styles

They are the exception. They Only Had Three Hours Total . They did the best they could

13. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

I'm not saying they're not. I'm just surprised they didn't even use thirty seconds to mention it. I don't think they mentioned the Perzhus once during the rhythm section other than announcing their solo.

14. kckc

kckc Active Member

Actually they did mention during the rhythm section that the Perzhus were the Smooth champions. That was it though, just a throwaway bit in the middle of a sentence.

15. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

"The best they could" doesn't mean it was good. There have got to be hosts who could at least make it interesting (or say "Um, no, this is crap, I'll write something else." They clearly were not speaking off the cuff.)

dancelvr and Loki like this.
  16. bia

bia Well-Known Member

The time constraints are a real issue. And I'm not saying that it's horrendous as-is, but it's also not as good as it could be. Given that it's not live, they could have tried telling the commentators to just talk, with a view toward giving backstory and judging clarification, and then edited it as needed. They could even have done it multiple times and picked the best parts. Yeah, it would mean paying an editor, but it would end up both more natural-sounding and more informative.

debmc and danceronice like this.
  17. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

Just a thought:

In the days of Champion Ballroom Dancing, PBS took 90 minutes to show the Standard and Latin Pro events, from taking the floor as they were being recalled to the final, through all dances of the group final, their showdances, and the line-up for results; and CBD also showed the theater arts/cabaret entries and a couple of exhibition dances. That way, viewers knew who the finalists were, the dances, and the results – just the way that competitions are run. And the format did manage to capture a bit of the competitive buzz that goes on. One year they DID have time to include some backstory to a few couples – Jean Marc/France, the Suvorovs, for example. They DID take a moment to comment on Pierre/Mireille and Gary/Diana as ten dancers.

So, all PBS has to do is to use another 90 minutes to do the same for Smooth and Rhythm. Over the full 180 minutes they could show all the styles from recall of finalists, through the main group events, showdances and results. If they replace the time taken for cabaret dances with the "Final Four" showdances from each style winner, they would still have a bit of time to show a couple of exhibitions, and to have the hosts "go shopping" and show some of the background glitz.

I'd watch that format.

Phil Owl likes this.
  18. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

Well Tony was speaking off the cuff. He showed once again he doesn't know what a viennese waltz is.

danceronice likes this.
  19. dncergrl

dncergrl Active Member

They did try to show the shopping opportunities.

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  20. Mr 4 styles

Cal. Would you pay for it too? The producers made it clear that 3 hrs was the budget. Maybe we should raise money for pbs to increase the time. A DF bake sale perhaps ?