Ballroom Dance > Dancing on TV > America's ballroom challenge returning to PBS

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by debmc, Aug 2, 2014.

1. Generalist

Generalist Active Member

Scoring and judging were so downplayed it wasn't even clear that they were showing a competition.

theAnnelis and Bailamosdance like this.
  2. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Watched the last episode on pbs. org last night, or rather about 30 minutes after fastforwarding through a good portion of it.

Didn't agree with the final placements, but whatever.

Strange vision of Mickey Mouse saying, "Hi, everybody!" with Minnie when the hosts came onto the floor...

MaggieMoves likes this.
  3. Hedwaite

Hedwaite Well-Known Member

Watched some online earlier. Do people just not know how to chew gum anymore? When they cut away to the audience, I saw people who looked like they were working hard at wrestling their Extra. Can't be that hard to chew with your mouth closed.

Last edited: May 16, 2015
    ajiboyet and Dancing Irishman like this.
  4. Hedwaite

Edit:mouth. Moths must be frustrating also, until they stop fluttering.

5. Hedwaite

Am I the only one who thought team Mazabela was dancing a lyrical rumbolero if the sound was muted? Fabulous, yes. Smooth? Eh...

j_alexandra likes this.
  6. Hedwaite

I've tried to find the "Rock This Place" through Shazaam and also SoundHound, with no avail for Episode 2 QS. Halp.

7. GGinrhinestones

GGinrhinestones Well-Known Member

I am watching the second half of the last episode...I have to say, despite the horrible commentating (which did, admittedly, get at least nominally better as the episodes progressed) and the poor editing decisions to cut out most of the group rounds, I would rather watch this any day to any episodes of Dancing with the Stars. Denis Kutepov and Lesya Sinitsa brought me to tears in their Standard showdance (I totally want to be Lesya when I grow up) - and I am not, and never will be a Standard dancer. Emmanuel and Liana brought me to tears in Episode 3 because they are simply stunning together. And even if the pro-am dances were a bit of an add-on, it was nice to see pro-am actually explained to the world by someone other than me. Bring it on, PBS!

FancyFeet and Hedwaite like this.
  8. middy

middy Well-Known Member

I loved the Perzhus' long program - the tango - both in person and recorded, and was annoyed when it got placed 4th.

Loki likes this.
  9. GGinrhinestones

GGinrhinestones Well-Known Member

Not sure this will help, but PBS did post a listing of all the music from the show on their website. I don't see the one you are looking for, but look under the music tab from the main America's Ballroom Challenge homepage on the PBS site.

10. Hedwaite

I tried, but it didn't show it for the snippet of QS they showed. :(

11. Hedwaite

The thing I'm hating the most is the canned dialogue. Yes, they're looking in the general direction of each other's faces, but you can tell that they're reading it off an off-view teleprompter, just like "reality" TV. It sounds so fake and forced. I'm embarrassed for anybody who believes it's not 100% scripted or even dubbed ("Wow, what a topline!" he says, of the collapsed inside).

I suppose I'm going with "Still better than DWOS" and also "At least they tried" for now. Still, though. I'm cringing sometimes.

IndyLady, MaggieMoves and Loki like this.
  12. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

So, I'm guessing here from your description 'cause I'm at work and can't check the episode, but try "Rock this Joint" by Casa Musica, off of Best of Ballroom Part. 16

Hedwaite likes this.
  13. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Yup. There you have it...

14. Hedwaite

Wow. Once in a while, Casa is okay. Thanks, that's it!

FancyFeet likes this.
  15. Phil Owl

Phil Owl Well-Known Member

Me too. Dance Fever got me to take lessons, and this (in its earlier incarnation as Championship Ballroom Dancing) got me to up my game.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
  16. Phil Owl

Me too! Barabar Eden, Rita Moreno and Sandy Duncan weren't half bad either

17. Phil Owl

Even for the flaws mentioned in previous posts, I will say i could take this show far more seriously than DWTS (which I regard as a complete joke) or SYTYCD

middy and Bailamosdance like this.