Dancers Anonymous > Anyone Else Notice Hotel Prices rising?

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by 3wishes, Oct 21, 2017.

1. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Normally I don’t whine, cry, or complain, but has anyone else noticed the cost of a Competition Hotel room going up, like seriously UP?
    Recently I cancelled a comp I had hoped to do, in a city we really wanted to visit when the following was noticed by me!
    1) Hotel will “charge” for microwave and bring it to your room, significant deposit required in case of damage.
    2) resort fee is not part of the up front costs, but rather added at the end of the stay.
    3) parking was to be $50 a day. There is no in and out of the parking lot privilege.
    4) no fridge in room but for an extra $25 a night, and damage deposit they would be happy to supply you one, if and only if one was available. (Ok so being an ice chest)
    5) no free breakfast (not a biggie for us) but the restaurant charges well, stinks. Really. It is just oatmeal for $15 or more (you would think we’re in Hawaii.)
    6) bellman charges are automatically added to the bill, yet tipping was still expected.
    Then,of course, add in taxes, tourist taxes and other weird $$$ charges and the room for one night is well over $300 bucks.
    This is not the only instance we’ve encountered bizarre high charges for chain hotel(s).
    Yes, we know all the ways to make a stay cheaper, believe me, we road trip ALOT. But even the husband has become miffed and that speaks volumes.
    To even consider a competition anymore, we’ve started calling the hotel ahead of booking (even with a discount for a block of rooms) and quiz the front desk on all the extra charges. The husband has started asking if there is gold dust sprinkled on the pillows. Lol.
    Has anyone else noticed this creeping rise in hotel prices?

2. DL

DL Well-Known Member

Huh, sounds like hotels may be taking a page out of the airline industry's "basic economy" playbook.

I have to say thought that there are some pretty nice hotel rooms available even in expensive cities (fee-free last I checked) for $300/night.

3wishes likes this.
  3. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Haven't noticed at comp hotels I've stayed at recently. But then, I'm not spending much time in the room coz I'm working all weekend.

4. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

5. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

I heart fascinating aida. Way fun, live. Waaaay fun.

6. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

I travel a lot for work, and per the terms of our contract, I have to get a room that is within government per diem, or else I have to pay the difference out of my pocket. It's getting hard to find rooms within per diem. I've got to go to Phoenix the week after next and I can't find a hotel room near where I work there.