General Dance Discussion > Are dance workshops begginner friendly?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by macbadoo, Jul 14, 2017.

1. macbadoo

macbadoo New Member

Got invited to go to a kizomba workshop. Still on the fence on whether or not I should go. I don't want to go to place where it is expected to have learned the basics already.

2. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

Check the level. Usually says beginners welcome or something

3. raindance

raindance Well-Known Member

Also consider - who invited you? How much do they know about the workshop? How much do they know about your dance experience and level? I don't know anything about kizomba so I can't comment on what would be usual for a workshop for that dance.

Since you have posted here previously about some negative experiences before with your local community, I would try to ask around a bit to learn more about the environment, expectations, etc at this particular workshop before jumping in. Try asking people you trust - your teachers perhaps, or students that know you that you respect, etc. As a newer dancer, I think it's important you find dance opportunities that have a good to excellent chance to being good experiences for you so you don't get frustrated early on. (It can be challenging and frustrating at times learning to dance, that's part of the process. But it's helpful to avoid setting yourself up for bad experiences when you can, by avoiding inappropriate events, etc.)

Another option - if you find out that the workshop is not beginner friendly, you could just spectate if that's allowed. You can learn some things by watching (I don't mean that you will learn the steps they are teaching, but that you will absorb things about dance, the music, the people, etc, by being around it).

RiseNFall likes this.
  4. macbadoo

macbadoo New Member

This is precisely why I'm weary of going. And it was my teacher that invited me but I can't say that I trust her...she already invited me to some other kizomba event and it didn't went well. It had plenty of social dancing and I have close to zero experience in social dancing. We had it for about 2 or 3 classes than it was focused on the two shows. I'm never sure when should I do X move. But really that kizomba event on a club was more about having fun and partying a little bit....and I'm not good at parties.