Tango Argentino > Argentine Tango competitions

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by tangobro, Jul 28, 2009.

1. Mladenac

Mladenac Well-Known Member

That thing is happening recently. Check the above videos.
    I don't like it, and I would call that cheating in the close embrace ;)
    I use that (put my hand on the back) only in significant height difference but I don't put elbow out.

2. sixela

sixela Well-Known Member

Despite the fact that finding _anything_ good rather than dissing it is very bad for street-cred, I beg to differ. I like it.

So, Mladenac, care to give us a video showing how you would interpret it?

What I find _so_ nice about argentine tango is that we usually don't get so prescriptive about what must not be done and what should be done...

"Strict set of rules" sends shivers through my spine...even more so than "competition". Soon "I don't know what it is but it isn't tango" will also cause an allergic reaction.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
  3. sixela

sixela Well-Known Member

You're trying to give me an opportunity to regain some street cred, don't you?

4. Mladenac

Their dancing was nice, but not to that song. I would have enjoyed it more if some other song was playing.
    When I have my demo or performance I will post it to video section. ;)

My main goal is to have body contact to I can feel my partner.
    I would place my right arm more appropriately but this seems most convenient regarding height difference.
    I saw and tried to put my right arm over the followers shoulder, but it was to awkward.
    Putting elbow out is not appropriate for social environment, cause it takes a lot of space.

There can be very vague boundary what tango is and isn't.

5. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

I thought it was appropriate, when some leader keeps moving back and forth from his lane into yours, causing you to keep having to move abruptly to avoid a collision.

:eek:

6. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

I think of it as non verbal communication.

7. Mladenac

That's left elbow in action. :p
    I was refererring to the right elbow. ;)
    It's quite difficult to use it in such situations.

8. tangobro

tangobro Active Member

Tango Escenario (Stage Tango) champions 2014

Manuela Rossi & Juan Malizia Gatti of Argentina perform to "Pata Ancha"

9. jantango

jantango Active Member

The finals for the city championship 2015 were held today. No word yet on the results.

10. pascal

pascal Active Member

In Paris we're starting to see ads. The event is scheduled for the end of May. Looks like the local team of organizers is quite amateurish. The location was changed, and the stage tango competition was cancelled.
    Below, a Google translation of the web page. Room for improvement here, couple (pareja) becomes torque and tour (giro) becomes tower.

TANGO TRACK
    (Free, amateur and professional)

The couple once constituted can not separate during the whole piece of music. For the position to be considered correct, the body of one of the two must be permanently be in the "abrazo" on the other, knowing that in some figures, this abrazo can be more flexible.
    All movements must be carried out in the space determined by the jury of torque.Standard abrazo take into account the musicality, the connection torque and elegance in walking as fundamental elements for the qualification.
    From these parameters, it will be possible to achieve the popular tango figures "social", ie barridas, sacadas al piso, enrosques, contra y giros giros etc ...
    Are totally forbidden jumps, figures that cause the loss of both feet touch the ground and the other own choreography tango scene.
    Couples, as in a ballroom, must constantly evolve in the opposite direction of clockwise; they will remain in the same place so as not to impede the flow of ball.
    Clothes will not be considered as an evaluation parameter.

TANGO SCENE
    (Free, amateur and professional)

Each performer will dance according to his own vision of the Argentine Tango, given that it will be allowed, for this purpose, to use movements, figures that do not report directly to the traditional tango, however the classic figures of Tango (the eight , towers, steps, voleos the ganchos and milonguero abrazo) should be included in the choreography.
    The abrazo can be broken and we can use techniques from other dance disciplines provided they have their purpose and are undertaken to enhance the presentation of the interpreter.
    The worn and other own movements to other dances should not be excessive, ie they should not represent more than a third of interpretation. The couple will have to use all the space of the scene in his travels.
    The costumes will be considered in the evaluation.
    In the case of a technical problem, the jury noted the choreography that the couple will have the opportunity to represent the end of the program. However, in case of problems in the choreography, it will be the couple to decide whether to continue and the jury appreciated the way and the grace with which the couple will have solved the problem, but there will be no opportunity to choreography again.

11. Mladenac

Naked tango :p

12. Mladenac

Milonga, final Campeonato de Baile de la Ciudad Tango Buenos Aires 2015

13. sixela

sixela Well-Known Member

Is there a separate award for milongas? There are some kick-knat milonga dancers in there, and some others who're likely to dance a very good Di Sarli tango but whose mundialisto-sped-up style is a bit jarring on milonga...

14. rain_dog

rain_dog Active Member

I think so, and vals as well. If I'm reading the results correctly, it looks like the same couple won all three tango, milonga and vals categories (couple 221, the man in the grey suit/woman in the white-ish dress).

15. Mladenac

16. sixela

sixela Well-Known Member

I'd have picked 221 for milonga too. It's refreshing to see someone dance to the music rather than Trying to Look Good (tm).

Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
  17. Mladenac

I came across old video on YT

18. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

What's wrong with THAT picture?

19. Mladenac

You tell me

20. LadyLeader

LadyLeader Active Member

Do you know the couples going to finals for this year?

I heard that my Singapore favorites Gen and Lily were qualifyed but I do not know which category!