Tango Argentino > Argentine Tango Frestyle

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by CDH, Dec 5, 2017 at 11:34 PM.

1. CDH

CDH New Member

I joined a class with my friend a few months ago and there is a freestyle dance practice evening coming up soon.

I think she'll be ok as the other men have been dancing for years, but I'll have to ask ladies to dance that have been dancing AT much longer than me.

Any tips?

2. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Welcome to DF, CDH

Before answering, what do you mean by Freestyle in respect to tango? Without rules?
    [​IMG]

3. CDH

CDH New Member

Thanks, though I do post on this site occasionally.

It's the final week of the 5 week course and we'll be there for a couple of hours. The teachers will play music and be going round helping people.

Some of the ladies there have been dancing AT for years, but I'm only on my 8th week :p

4. opendoor

Sounds like an regular event for rehearsing. We call it práctica or práctilonga.
    Putting your mind at easy, no one will expect that you can dance adequately. But I bet all that experienced women will nicely take care of you! A lot of guys will leave tango frustrated after nine month. So you are the sought after substitute. These ladies will invest in their own future on the dance floor. Pay back in three years. Enjoy

5. Vincenze

Vincenze Member

It seems like an event where you can try to repeat the steps that you have learned for the last weeks with the ladies from your class.
    Advanced ladies will ignore you. Anybody can visit a practica, so they will be waiting for their regular partners.

6. sixela

sixela Well-Known Member

If I have to take bets, I'm with opendoor. As long as you seem eager to learn and keep it simple (try to do what you think you have more or less mastered and try to play with the music to vary, rather than launch yourself into complex stuff you do not master) but pleasant for your partner (if you dance with someone experienced don't push her around like a piece of furniture or suffocate her in a strangling or rigid embrace).

Vincenze's right if you come with an attitude of entitlement and try to "impress" the ladies with lots of fancy Shtepzzzz that you don't master and manhandle them. If you do that they'll avoid you like the plague, out of self-preservation.

He is right that some couples do turn up at a práctica to practice together and not dance with anyone else. At a práctica, respect that, once it's clear they're going to dance exclusively with their practice partner. But if he's late they might well not just "wait for him to arrive".

7. newbie

newbie Well-Known Member

Then they will be able to follow what you lead them. It's the last week of a series of classes, so this freestyle tango session is designed for you and the pupils of the said classes. If the non-pupils, more experienced dancers are tolerated at the session, it's probably with the proviso that they have to be helpful and kind. If nevertheless it happens that you invite an advanced follower and she declines, go tell the teacher.

8. itwillhappen

itwillhappen Active Member

I avoided that, tried to keep my accounts balanced. No lady around me shall get hindered to dance with a better dancer.
    And I can understand if one is exhausted by nursing the beginners that come and go over the years.

9. opendoor

CDH, how did it go?

10. CDH

CDH New Member

It went well, thanks for all the helpful comments. The intermediate class starts in January, so I will need to arrange some practice time before then as am enjoying the classes so far.

I think I know what sort of figures I want to learn to get better and how I want to dance AT, so 2018 should be fun :)