Salsa > Aspects of the dance

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by ticolora, Apr 5, 2017.

1. ticolora

ticolora Member

Although the question is generic and applies to most dances, I would like you to assume Salsa social couple dance as the context, if it becomes important.

My goal is to identify all the aspects that are important to the dance, or to put it differently contribute to the skill.

I would like to eventually come up with a map that I can use to identify areas that need improvement. I also want to use it to compare my skill to that of the others (because I am shallow and insecure).

The end goal is to come up with a curriculum to follow for my private lessons. Somehow I feel that every teacher I was with doesn't really have a plan. We start with "what do you want to work on?" and then we work on that, but I don't think I am competent to make that call.

You would think that such a list would be self-evident, but as I learn more about the dance, I discover more areas I am ignorant about (ignorantly incompetent).

Here is what I am aware of so far, I want to keep this in a brainstorm format, to make sure we don't overlook something. I will then ask questions for specific items:

Musicality
    stay on beat
    stay on phrase
    anticipate hits and breaks
    express mood of the music in the dance

Self
    balance
    strength
    flexibility

Structure
    patterns
    mistakes recovery
    floorcraft

Leading
    connection
    communication
    clarity
    prep
    judge and adjust for follows level
    spin balance

Etiquette
    asking for a dance
    handling rejection
    small talk
    keep follow comfortable

Inb4: if I could get a better teacher - I would, so far I wasn't able to. Which is why I want to take this in my own hands.

2. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

You need to see the forest from the trees. You will suffer the paralysis of over analysis very quickly

For example anticipate hits and breaks alone will take years of music listening and study as well as a modest study of music theory. And that's only one thing on your huge list

Get a syllabus and learn that. The rest will come then crush technique

twnkltoz and IndyLady like this.
  3. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

This, sums up ALL your problems/desires.

You need to be aware that, many salsa " teachers?" are NOT trained in the deeper aspects of dance .

Promotion to congresses etc for one ex., are based upon HOW they dance , and not always what they know ( other than inculcating their audience with long groups ) . And as this exists, then one may extrapolate their methods to teachers who attend, and subsequently, to the general public.

It takes multiple years of prof. training to acquire the necessary skills, to produce a good dance product .
    I could give you chapter and verse, about studios/teachers I have encountered over the years, who have been "fed " false "dance" information , so your dilemma is not uncommon .

There are good teachers out there, ya just need to look farther afield .

4. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Elegance is missing, also knowledge of current and historic cds and music productions....

ticolora likes this.
  5. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

Fluidity of movement. Body action. Correct use of feet and legs. Control. Styling. Articulation of joints. Posture. Spinning. Sabor (I think that's what salseros call it).

IndyLady and ticolora like this.
  6. IndyLady

IndyLady Well-Known Member

100% agree with this. Especially bolded.

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  7. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

"Sabor " is an undefined quality, which really cannot be taught .

8. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

Well, he wanted to list all the aspects.

9. ticolora

ticolora Member

I do want all the aspects. No bad ideas in a brainstorm.

shines, dip, moves for hits and breaks, 4 and 8 feet styling, turns (different types, including spins).