Ballroom Dance > At Last... What dance?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by wonderwoman, Feb 2, 2010.

1. wonderwoman

wonderwoman Well-Known Member

Wondering what dance goes with At Last (Etta James) because it is my cousin's wedding song* and it would be extra special if they learned a dance. Is it intl rumba or bolero or something else?

* her sister will be singing it and her amazing voice could steal the show lol but her fiance has taken lessons so they should do that together.

2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

clutch and sway :)

3. wonderwoman

Its called the HUG & sway! and its cute but if you want all your friends and family to sigh thinking I want what they have, its not good enough for your wedding day. :)

4. fascination

well...it's clutch around here...personally I find most choreographed numbers to be hokey...no offense to those who like it...not my cup of tea....i can see wanting to know a few basics in a style of dance that matches the first song...but more than that is...well...not my thing

5. fascination

and lord knows, none of it is a reflection of whether or not one should want what they have...

6. wonderwoman

I think you might be right... the whole just staring in to eachothers eyes adoringly.. I can't wait, so gonna cry. :)

7. wonderwoman

Aw I dunno.. I'm teaching my brother and his fiance a few steps. Nothing too complicated. Nice for that wedding memories dvd. :)

8. CANI

CANI Active Member

This was my sister's wedding song. She and her (now) husband took lessons and danced a choreographed routine that was so cute. One of my fondest memories from her wedding is my brother turning to me and laughing, "Did you know Karen could dance?" It was adorable. And they had a lot of fun practicing it -- it relieved a lot of the normal wedding stress. And I will always remember the smiles on their faces. I haven't listened to the song in a long while and don't remember what type of dance it was, but it was great. Good luck to your cousin!

9. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

I hear a VWaltz beat in there.

10. DL

DL Well-Known Member

VW -- great music, but unfortunate for wedding couples :)

If it's a fast enough VW (almost too fast to really dance VW), it can be a slow Bronze American Foxtrot -- each '1' is a 'Q'.

11. lcdancesport

lcdancesport Active Member

At Last, is a perfect night-club two step. It's a bit too slow for everything else. Great dance to learn for social dancing! Many wedding songs will be this dance.

12. pruthe

pruthe Member

I think there was something called Club Slow Dance that might work. Was put out by Dancevison at one time as VHS featuring Jose DeCamps and Jami Josephson. Tape showed a bunch of different slow dance steps. I just looked at DV and still there for $20. You could choreograph a short routine for them. Also could modify Bronze American Foxtrot steps from SSQQ timing to slow 1234 count using 4 steps. Again, could choreograph a short routine.

Hope this helps.

13. lcdancesport

lcdancesport Active Member

Here's a nice video with nightclub two-step:
    w w w . youtube.com/watch?v=mg8vzNGtBHU

Now I want to dance to At Last :)

14. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

High school hang. :)

15. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

See, I'd rather not dance at all at a wedding than do the 'high school hang' in front of guests.

16. latervet1

latervet1 Member

it would be a texas 2 step or in noncountry terms a foxey but is better if sped up a little bit. you know-side together, side together, step, step. AM does alot of foxey's for wedding dances cuz its easy to learn, nice and slow. you can put a few promenades, some under arm turns and a dip in there.

17. dTas

dTas New Member

its a very skilled foxtrot.

listen to the "whole song", all the instruments used, the theme behind the melody, the way lyrics are grouped. the feeling is slow and flowly with a few variations in rhythm to give it some pop... slows and quicks or better yet quicks and "and"s, just like in foxtrot.

it also helps to count the 4/4 rhythm.

18. wonderwoman

lolz Should I mention the groom has taken some social ballroom lessons in the past and the bride hasn't? So skilled, I dunno.

19. I still think that it is a VW ...

20. wonderwoman