Balboa

Discussion in 'Videos' started by gracie, Jul 19, 2009.

1. gracie

gracie Active Member

2. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

Thanks for sharing, gracie! :)

3. Angel HI

Angel HI Well-Known Member

4. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

None of these clips resemble the dance in " appearance/style ".. they have morphed into something of a Shag/ ECS/BOP, type dance, with the odd basic thrown in .. Now, I do accept that dance evolves, but its difficult to see the basic concept and original style , in any of these performances. Yes, they are entertaining.. ..

Wish i could locate the formation I chore'od ( with teachers in Houston ) way back when...( someone did film it )

5. gracie

gracie Active Member

Thanks. I really don't know anything about it but would like to do a showcase number with Quickstep and Balboa. Any song suggestions?

6. Silveralsa

Silveralsa New Member

This is a little late, but google or youtube Steve Garrett & Heidi, or Nick Williams. They're reknown for Balboa now and staying with vintage authentic style...

7. gracie

gracie Active Member

Thanks, I'll do it!

8. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Very cool...

9. zobinta

zobinta New Member

Thanks, i like this your link.

10. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

I was just trying to find the clip that had Dean Collins stating his response to the question "Just what is Balboa?"
    First that one, which I've posted before)

That led me to this one. Not just Balboa here.

Looks like Balboa was popular at Bobby McGee's, or at least it got a lot of attention.

Anyone know anything about Bobby McGee's?
    And, how does what you see here compare to what you are learning currently?

11. Siggav

Siggav Moderator Staff Member

Can't speak about Bobby McGee's but the bal and bal-swing in those videos you posted are pretty similar to what I'm learning, there are some differences, but I recognize a lot of the steps and it's easily recognizable as balboa to me as opposed to the mostly collegiate shag video posted earlier in the thread.

I think currently people dance more upright and very much with an i frame instead of anything resembling an A frame and there's a bit more of a visible steady pulse going on.

Here's a video clip that's shows the kind of bal that I'm learning NB: The video starts off with a slightly blues flavoured slow lindy and then the band kicks into the balboa tempo at around 1:07. I picked that clip because it's not a competition it's just a social dance demo by three pairs of teachers so it shows things better than just picking the one set of dancers and they swap partners towards the end etc. and are just having fun so it shows a bit more of a breadth than picking a competition video with only the one couple

12. tangotime

It must be a "new " version, because it has NO resemblance to anything we danced and taught , back when. And, the music , for me , did not tipify the essence of the dance .
    To give you an idea of the musical style used then, I used "green onions " for the routine I choreoed .

NB.. The " frame and poise " are also not consistent with the "style" that was portrayed .

13. Siggav

Green onions was released back in 62. Balboa started in the 30s, the balboa done in the bobby mcgee videos that Steve posted seem pretty similar to the stuff that I know as balboa, I only started dancing 2 years ago so am no expert although I really enjo the dance. Im starting to think now that the name has been used for at least two different dances.

Could you dig up a clip of something that looks like the balboa you know Tangotime?

14. Siggav

Bobby White, one of the balboa teachers who is very active teaching and travelling has a blog and has pulled together a bunch of clips and information. Im just going post the links to his work here

Who's who in bal-swing followers

Who's who in bal-swing leaders
    Who's who in pure balboa

In those articles the names of the people are links to youtube clips showing them dancing. A bunch of those end up with clips from the Bobby McGee footage so Steve you were right on the money there in terms of balboa now. Sylvia Sykes who is in some of those clips is very well respected in the balboa and lindy scenes today and I've been lucky enough to be in a workshop where she was teaching

Also the clip of Maxie Dorf teaching in and outs and mess around has material in it that was basically what I was taught last wednesday at my weekly bal class.

Also from the swungover blog - A too brief history of balboa

15. tangotime

16. Siggav

17. tangotime

Yep, it sure was, and thats the year I taught the routine .
    I first got exposed to it ,in the AM studio in Calif. in the late 50s and "took " it to Texas .
    i have had many requests for vids ,of varying aspects related to dance ,in the recent past.

#1.... no current partner, and # 2...no vid recorder. When this gets resolved, , I will post .

As to changes.. many dances have gone thru evolutions, in music and style.. BUT..often the indigenous roots get obscured or even lost .

18. Siggav

I hope you can resolve that and post video, I'm really curious now!

And yes absolutely re: dances going changing music and style. I mean originally lindy hop and west coast swing were the same dance and look at them now.

The balboa scene now that I know is very much trying to get back to the 1930s type swing dance type balboa so it's danced to 1930s-1940s jazz and people dress up a bit vintage for the big events like they do for lindy hop

Was the balboa you know danced a fair bit basically close embrace and lead through the chest more than anything and are triple steps prominent or more stepping and shuffling?

19. tangotime

Exactly.. basic ...Fwd, Rock step / tap step. repeat backwards. High contact thru upper body with centre pulled backwards, creating an "arched " body effect . No shuffling , as I re-call .

The tap, is a double time action, using one whole beat .

20. Siggav

That sounds not too dissimilar to what I've been taught, the timing seems the same, we're taught two versions of the basic, down hold and up hold, where the difference is kind of in the "tap step" as in it's a gather-step in a whole beat in an up hold (the foot is off the ground in the gather hence the 'up') while the down hold is a step and hold so the difference between the two is that you transfer your weight at the beginning of the beat in the down hold and at the end of the beat in the down hold.

We're explicitly told not to rock step, you step step instead, that comes from Maxie Dorf and others who were dancing in the 1940s I think from what I've been reading up on now.

Here's a video that shows the balboa basic broken down the way it's being taught now, the throw out and lollies etc. are strictly speaking bal-swing not pure balboa, pure-bal is only done in closed with chest to chest contact, most balboa done now is really bal-swing, not pure bal