Swing Discussion Boards > Videos > Balboa

Discussion in 'Videos' started by gracie, Jul 19, 2009.

1. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

part of the appeal in Bal. was its unique style. Take that away,and essentially ,you have a different "dance." And, the rock was a foundational movement.
    I guess what one finishes up with,has little to do with Balboa, but,just another hybrid .

2. Siggav

Siggav Moderator Staff Member

It definitely sounds like the 50s and 60s style balboa you know is not done anymore. I wouldn't say that it's just another hybrid now. It's very much a dance with it's own style and culture now that traces all the way back to the start in the 1930's.

3. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

I think you mis-understood me.. I meant, what they now are dancing, is a hybrid .

4. Siggav

Im sorry I think my wording was unclear, what I was saying that what people (including me) dance as balboa now is a dance with it's own style and culture and the roots of it traces all the way back to the start in the 1930s a bunch of the people who were dancing way back then taught a handful of dancers who are dancing now when they had a bit of a balboa resurrection in the 1980s (it didn't go global until much later)

It's unique enough as a dance now that I would really seriously miss it if it went away because there's nothing else quite like it.

5. Siggav

I want to add that I genuinely am curious about the 1950s-1960s slow balboa you did, like the choreography you did to Green Onion, there's been a bit more talk about slow balboa (slow for balboa is anything under 155bpm or so now) because they know that there used to be a wider range of speeds so I'm pretty sure people would be interested.