General Dance Discussion > Beginning Dancers' Frequently Asked Questions

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by pygmalion, Sep 23, 2003.

1. DerekWeb

DerekWeb Well-Known Member

DW does a great job of quickly taking the lead if there is danger on the social floor. But often she over reacts. For example, I am moving forward in LOD, someone is moving quickly toward us from behind in LOD. They should wait for us. I do not want her to hold me up for that split second because that interrupts our flow as I am moving into free (forward) space. Often this causes me and the overtaking hot dog to arrive at the open space simultaneously.

2. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

That reminds me of when I first started driving. My twin sister would sit shotgun and harass me about checking the rearview mirror, avoiding oncoming traffic, timing for changing lanes. You name it. When I finally lost it and told her to bug off, she said, "I just want you to be a better driver!" Uhh. No. I beg to differ, sis. You want me to drive the way you do. *grin* It took me at least a decade to realize that she and I had the same problem from two different perspectives -- neither one of us had full confidence in my driving ability. That, and she's a controlling megalomaniac. :shock: :lol: Just kidding! There were more than a handful of times when she was probably right and helped me avoid many a fender bender.

Not saying anything about you, Derek. Not at all. I'm just musing about the different perspectives on sitting in that passenger seat. It's easy to say that a follower should sit in the passenger seat and wait for a collision with oncoming traffic (i.e. trust the driver.) Hard to do. And it's easy to say that the leader should be open to side-seat driving. Also hard to do.

Not sure that there's a right or wrong answer here.

3. ksulli

ksulli New Member

Two questions:

1. Does the woman always have to turn when the man invites her to?
    2. Is it permissible for the woman to take the lead to avoid being "hit" by another couple?

Thanks for your help!!

4. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

1) no
    2) yes

5. ksulli

ksulli New Member

Thanks to everyone who responded to my questions re ladies refusing invitations to turn and temporarily taking the lead to avoid collisions.

The answers were terrific (and humurous) and I believe hubby and I are now in harmonious agreement.

I apologize for the multiple posts -- still new to this forum -- promise to get better

6. basicarita

basicarita Member

This is just fabulous (especially since I always feel like a beginner).

Thanks so much!

:-D

chomsky likes this.
  7. nucat78

nucat78 Active Member

Heck yeah. DP has saved us (me) several times.

8. womanizerzz

womanizerzz New Member

About injured. We are sick about our knee joint pain. Where can I discuss about in this forum? Thank you.

9. fascination

either start a new thread...or better yet, first do a search to see if there are any existing threads that provide you with answers...personally, I swear by glucosamine, if you don't have a seafood allergy and take it on a full stomach and I simply never practice without a brace

10. Andy Henry

Andy Henry New Member

Knee pain during dancing, walking and running is more likely as it’s a joint which bears all the stress during these processes. So getting pain during dancing is okay but if it persists means you just consult with a doctor. I suggest using knee braces it may help.

11. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Hi Andy. Welcome. :)

12. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

First: never use braces at all, stop dancing. When you need braces, it´s already close to the edge. I speak from experience, see below.

Second: the bioavailability of glucosamine and the like is so low that it is more likely that you will get fat rather that the substance will reach the synovial fluid. Get it injected right into the joint space.

Me (the guy) before braces and after.....

13. fascination

to each his own...I have top level amateur friends who have been dancing for years with braces on...as do many pros on occasion...and during my own 8 years of dancing, I have had no injuries of any consequence...as to glucosamine, not only my doctor but also my vet have reccomended it for me and for my dog which had dysplasia...neither one of us put weight on...and both of us had rapid and significant improvement during times of acute flare up

14. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

glucosamine and AREDS eye vitamins are the only two nutritional supplements to have shown efficacy in FDA monitiored clinical trials

dats da fact jack!!

fascination likes this.
  15. fascination

and, I no longer have the need for them, but if I ever have those issues again, taking it again will be my first action...my dog was on the verge of needing to be put down...hopping along without using her back leg...6 weeks later, fine....shrug...not saying it is what anyone else should do....just know what it did here...my knees are fine now

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  16. Mr 4 styles

i take it prophylactically now

strength training helped a lot too

17. fascination

messes w/ my stomach too much to take it for kicks and giggles

18. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Don't happen to have a link to post? I like to review those things sometimes.

19. Mr 4 styles

one pill a day with lunch full stomach no probs

20. Mr 4 styles

this was from memory in med school ( oh an my memory is awesome btw)

HOWEVER, recently the GAIT study showed glucosamine/chondroitin to be equal to Celebrex or placebo

but the placebo group had small cartilagenous space disease so the arms of the study are not well matched

back to the drawing board on this one!

interesting that the expensive Celebrex fared no better in the reduction of joint damage