General Dance Discussion > Best Compliment(s) You've Ever Gotten On Your Dancing

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Phil Owl, Sep 13, 2010.

1. middy

middy Well-Known Member

"You looked like you're in love!" during our smooth VW.

We have zero non-platonic interest in each other, so yay.

MaggieMoves, j_alexandra and Phil Owl like this.
  2. flightco

flightco Well-Known Member

Before I can explain the complement, I need to revel a little about me. I have always done well at most any endeavor I have set my mind to (advanced rating in hang gliding and paragliding, 1000+ hour private pilot, have received good advancements in my job, learned how to dock a twin engine 42 foot boat from a video, etc.), at 62 I still skateboard on most nice days; however, dancing is another story all together. Maybe it is because I see so many accomplished dancers that all I see are my weaknesses, maybe it stems from a women telling me one time (at a bar) I should probably just never dance again, perhaps because two years after starting ballroom I still can have a hard time finding the one in music (I have worked on this hundreds of hours), maybe because I never thought dance was something I could do. I could go on and on but I have a phobia about social dancing. I just never feel like I am good enough and don't think anyone would enjoy dancing with me (I guess you can say I am a "professional" student, I love taking lessons).

A couple months ago I stopped at a studio a long way from my home (it was close to where I was working and I just wanted to say hello in case I was ever working there in the evening and could take a group lesson). They told me they had a Groupon for 5 private lessons for 125.00. I said that sounds great but I only get by here occasionally and I know you have groupons to get new students not to sell Private Lessons for 25 bucks each and that I lived too far away to become one of their students. They said for me to feel free to get the groupon and give them a call when I was in the area - so I did just that.

For my first lesson I booked a double and my instructor had only been in the US for about 4 months. She was Eastern European and had been dancing for many years and won many competitions in Latin and Standard. When the lesson ended she said she was so happy, I asked why and she told me that for 4 months she taught beginner class after beginner class (this, I think is the reason for the Groupons)and today was the first day she got to "really" dance and it was so much fun.

I think the light bulb has finally gone off. I know I am never going to be a great dancer (not unless I live to be 100 and can still dance), but if this International Champion had fun dancing with me, maybe someone else would too. I am going to the next social.

JoeB, Sania, ocean-daughter and 8 others like this.
  3. flightco

revel/reveal oh well sometimes when I revel, I reveal. (Once I post, I should not go back and read them).

scullystwin42 likes this.
  4. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Also your compliments are sometimes complementary. ;)

flightco likes this.
  5. Dancey

Dancey Member

While dancing with a beginner dancer - "You are like white-out, you can fix the step even if I make a mistake."

ocean-daughter and Jag75 like this.
  6. flightco

Huge Yikes!!! I need to start paying more attention:sorry: I don't think I will pursue a career in proof reading:(

7. Tango Distance

Tango Distance Active Member

"You know the equations!"

I was retaking a beginner's class, so of course I had a little better clue as to what to do than the raw newbies. All the ladies were saying things like "You've done this before!" Then one lady said "You know the equations!"

I replied (paraphrased), "Why thank you, I take that as quite a compliment as I have a technical day job!" It turns out she was a scientist. I later realized I was wearing a shirt with equations on it, and as she was short and I am tall, the equations were right at eye level for her. I'm sure that gave her the idea for such a great compliment!

RiseNFall, flightco and twnkltoz like this.
  8. ollielaven

ollielaven New Member

The one compliment that I received that totally caught me off guard was, "Are you even trying?" I thought that it was negative, until he added, "You always look at ease when dancing!"

9. dncergrl

dncergrl Active Member

Pro told me: "You're coming along". I was happy all day.

twnkltoz likes this.
  10. leee

leee Well-Known Member

Not even dancing, but: I was showing a friend how to do Lindy Hop switches, and one of the advanced follows (who placed in our local J&Js) walked by while I was demoing and gave me a big thumbs up! I asked her if my skirt would swish if I were to have one on, and she said yes. :D

RiseNFall likes this.
  11. leee

leee Well-Known Member

This time I was dancing! A follow whom I've admired from afar but was too intimidated to ask for a dance grabbed me onto the floor and afterwards said I was good. I was like whoa.

ocean-daughter and twnkltoz like this.
  12. SwayWithMe

SwayWithMe Well-Known Member

Last week when Am partner and I were getting ready to practice, one of the pros in the studio came up and said he's been watching us the past few weeks and can see a marked improvement, and we look good and really need to go to a comp soon. :D

13. letsdance101

letsdance101 Active Member

So my coach was training multiple couples in a group intensive workshop... all the men were asked to go on the floor and do VW solo... then all the ladies were asked to do the same. I have always hated VW and it has been my weakness... especially when I'm asked to do it without my partner.
    As I was walking off the floor after doing the ladies round of VW, my coach looked at me and said "Bravo, better."

DYING INSIDE I'M SO HAPPY THE DAY HAS FINALLY COME WHERE I DO NOT STINK AT VW BLESSINGS THANK YOU MY WEEK HAS BEEN MADE

14. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

Talking with pro about booking a coaching, and I make some crack about getting prepared to get told I stink... completely offhand and like it was no big deal, pro goes "He's not going to tell you (that) you stink. You're one of the best dancers in (the country) in your category."

The 'duh, of course' nature of his statement made me speechless. Dude does not exactly throw around the praise. :eek: :shocked: When did that happen, exactly?!? And, yay?

(But I still think that I stink much of the time, though there are increasing glimpses of good. And I really want to get rid of that "in your category" qualifier, hence the desire to make the leap to am-am.)

15. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

IGB? :dancingbanana:

16. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

As my pro explains, that is because you know "too" much. By the time you can do what you know about now, you'll know even more. His advise is to get used to it. My advise it so think back at you were working on 6 months or so ago and enjoy the improvement.

17. ralf

ralf Member

@FancyFeet is moving through the four stages of competence. You start out not knowing what you don't know, and after a while you know what you don't know.... But since there are so many different little skills in dance, you keep starting in stage one on new skills.

And since I don't seem to have posted to this thread before, here's a "best compliment" to get it back on topic:

A few years ago, I was at a conference in Monterey, CA, and went to the weekly WCS dance in Carmel. After dancing with the instructor (also one of the organizers) about half way through the evening, she yelled out "Ladies, for a good time, dance with Ralf."

SwayWithMe, leee and RiseNFall like this.
  18. SwayWithMe

SwayWithMe Well-Known Member

It doesn't work for either of us this year, unfortunately. Hoping maybe SDSU.

ETA: I have a soft spot for IGB; 2012 was my first ProAm comp, 2014 my first Am comp... :)

Terpsichorean Clod likes this.
  19. IndyLady

IndyLady Well-Known Member

At last night's "graduation ceremony" at the studio:

1. "We'd offer her a job here if she didn't already have one". Trust me, you're better off now. I pay you to put up with my diva antics. Instead of you paying me to put up with my diva antics. And you can't afford me anyways - one of the world's injustices, IMO, is that dance skill/talent is not compensated anywhere near what it deserves, compared to say, number crunching ability.

2. "That means a lot to me coming from you", after complimenting a fellow student on what was in fact an excellent foxtrot demo (I had not realized she was that good).

j_alexandra and RiseNFall like this.
  20. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

San Diego? :dancingbanana:
    Awwww...