General Dance Discussion > Best Compliment(s) You've Ever Gotten On Your Dancing

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Phil Owl, Sep 13, 2010.

1. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

the latest that I have a gentle lead; you "allow me to set."

j_alexandra and twnkltoz like this.
  2. tangomaniac

tangomaniac Active Member

The woman had tangasms while dancing Argentine Tango. Her embrace pulled me closer into her. Words weren't necessary.

j_alexandra likes this.
  3. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

Don't worry. They will come eventually

ocean-daughter, Latino2007 and stash like this.
  4. Mr 4 styles

As a general rule when I dance with newbies I make a habit of finding something to compliment them on, as it is encouraging and I remember how much it helped me as a newbie ages ago lol

5. Rhythmdancer

Rhythmdancer Well-Known Member

Someone told me that I'll be the next Emmanuel and that I was robbed of 1st place at competition this weekend. I haven't worked on rhythm in over 3 years so I guess I'll take it.

middy, IndyLady and MaggieMoves like this.
  6. IndyLady

IndyLady Well-Known Member

At yesterday evening's practice party, while helping a new student (at his request) with cha cha UAT, I was saying that you need to raise the follow's arm with enough notice that it's not a last minute surprise with a nano-second to suddenly make the turn.

Me: "Because no one, at least here*, can move that fast."
    Him: "Oh, I've seen you move fast."

Ha ha, that felt good. :D

*i.e. I'm sure there are some world champion pros who could, but they are not here.

Rhythmdancer likes this.
  7. Newdancer81

Newdancer81 Active Member

For salsa, "your lead is very clear, I don't even have to think".

8. SwayWithMe

SwayWithMe Well-Known Member

From visiting coach, on hearing that no, I don't have a ballet background: "So why are you so flexible? And you have the carriage of a dancer!"

Same day, from a pro that I've recently started working with: "You're athletic in a very good way -- you make me work! I've never seen someone progress so fast. You scare me..."

9. pascal

pascal Active Member

"It was a long trip from my house to come here. But just for this dance it was worth it."

10. dncergrl

dncergrl Active Member

So, I did a local comp on the weekend. More than one person told me that when my pro dances with me, he does not hold back, he really dances. That makes me happy. I'm not at all sure I know what it means, but I'll take it.

11. MaggieMoves

MaggieMoves Well-Known Member

It means that he doesn't "dance down" when he's with you. It's an enormous compliment.

12. dncergrl

dncergrl Active Member

Maggie, Thanks a lot. I've been very discouraged about my dancing lately and it's good to get some positives.

MaggieMoves likes this.
  13. Newdancer81

I got two nice compliments recently when I ventured out to a different studio. It was an intermediate salsa course and there were only two students. The other student said to me "he's a good lead and I didn't even have to think". It was funny because the instructor (who told me she was new) couldn't make her turn the first time yet I did it naturally.

While at a social, a couple said "you're really good, how long have you been taking lessons?" I just answered but I told them I was only learning bachata for about 3-4 months and rotate with my other dances.

RiseNFall likes this.
  14. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

So, I see I posted in this thread once before, (but not about this) and since I'm in a dance slump...

"That was the best led nite club two step I've ever danced," she said - twice.

(note - That was LAST week.)

Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
    Sania and RiseNFall like this.
  15. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

Someone I really respect as a coach and judge called me powerful and elegant :)

16. Newdancer81

Well I've been experimenting with different studios recently. I took an advanced salsa class recently and got a compliment saying "awesome lead" from a couple of ladies who said they didn't even know what they were doing and ended up in the right place. One of them even said "how did I end up here?"

She meant it in a good way because she didn't even know the steps.

MaggieMoves, RiseNFall and raindance like this.
  17. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

Pro has now told me on three different occasions that I feel good to dance with--that being in frame with me is comfortable, that he likes how his body feels when he is dancing with me. (Despite the gazillion million corrections!!!) I actual believe that he's sincere since he has mentioned it more than once over the years and in very different contexts.

Also:
    Another student to pro, "Oh, shoot!! You were going to teach me steps 9 and 10 today. We didn't get to them!"
    Me: "if it makes you feel better, I never learned a lot of the Bronze steps."*
    Pro:"What she did instead was learn how to DANCE!"

[*A lot of the later FADS steps at each level are allowed under NDCA; since I have been competing NDCA as well as FADS, we just skipped those.]

scullystwin42 likes this.
  18. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

A fellow student (who does NOT give faint praise) told me, while watching me waltz, that she was mesmerized by my feet. I took this as a good thing. :)

Sania, j_alexandra and RiseNFall like this.
  19. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

On a recent trip managed to get in a dance with a very good follow and enjoyed her semi-surprised “you’re so easy to follow!” as we had a great dance.

The best, however, was probably my first dance partner of the trip. I was beyond flattered to have finished our first dance to “Who are you? Where did you come from? We need more of you!” and our next to “You could move here and I don’t think anyone would be complaining.” :D

Mr 4 styles, Phil Owl and RiseNFall like this.
  20. Mr 4 styles

I heard nearly the exact same words at a social in new York once