General Dance Discussion > Best Compliment(s) You've Ever Gotten On Your Dancing

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Phil Owl, Sep 13, 2010.

1. Mighty MAyo Films

Mighty MAyo Films New Member

getting my picture taken is pretty high up there on my list.

2. JoeB

JoeB Active Member

I think the best one was when she made me a huge breakfast the next morning.

Not sure that was for the dancing, though.

3. Ggoode

Ggoode New Member

Being a new dancer, it's tough for me to take compliments since I know I have a lot of work to do. But I've been getting more compliments lately. Since I'm a tall athletic build, I get a lot of "you are such a gentle /firm lead" by the smaller petite women, and they come back to ask me to dance since I don't toss them around. But the best one was when doing my weekly practicing with a friend. One of the instructions came over when their lesson was done, to say they can see a lot of improvement, Complimented me on my work ethic, and spent about 5 mins giving me a couple of tips, that make a huge impact right away. That made me want to work even harder.
    Lately I've been getting a lot of ladies asking me to dance after seeing me dance with someone else. With comments "can you do that one move again, i really liked it"

Sania, stash, SwayWithMe and 2 others like this.
  4. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

Today our national youth champions told me my technique was "so perfect".

(Not true, but I'll take it.)

5. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

So, my pro was chatting with one of her friends at a recent comp and mentioned that one of her students was moving out to her friend's area. Her friend apparently immediately asked, "oooh, is it your tall boy from Ohio?" (Note: it's not.) Her friend is one of those pros that I know *of*, but have never had any actual interactions with. So it's really quite flattering that my dancing made enough of an impression for her to remember me 10 months later.

Sania, MaggieMoves, twnkltoz and 7 others like this.
  6. IndyLady

IndyLady Well-Known Member

There is a hip hop exercise class I attend at the local Y about once a month as my schedule permits. It's a very popular class (i.e. lots of people) - so although there are mirrors on 3 sides of the room, it's not easy to see yourself and check your form. Since I am not a regular, I always take a spot in the back row. I generally keep to myself unless spoken to and don't really know anyone else. I get a good workout but am mindful not to make a spectacle of myself. Anyway, at the last class, about 5-10 minutes before it was over, another woman came across the row to me and said "I live vicariously through you, I love your moves." Totally unexpected (and frankly probably undeserved... there was another lady a couple rows forward with a lot more energy than me).

And I'm not sure if I should really interpret this as a compliment or not, but the last two times I've been sporting spray tan and residual eye makeup the day after a dance event (it always takes a couple days for the eyeliner/mascara to 100% completely wear off), I've been told I have a "glow" or am "cute" (and that last one on a morning I hadn't showered yet and had just re-made my pommaded bedhead).

MaggieMoves, twnkltoz and RiseNFall like this.
  7. MaggieMoves

MaggieMoves Well-Known Member

Lately this man has been watching me practice with my pro... He came up to me and asked me if I gave lessons.

scullystwin42 and IndyLady like this.
  8. KPomPom

KPomPom Member

I tried something completely new and signed up for a ballet class a couple of months ago. The instructor complimented me on my feet! Said I had clearly been taught well by someone. And this woman used to dance in Moscow!

It was really sweet and totally unexpected, because I was WAY out of my comfort zone for that class.

twnkltoz likes this.
  9. newbie

newbie Well-Known Member

There was this guy at the AT class, an argentine, a friend of the male teacher's, not taking the class really, no need, just here to help the two teachers, dancing either the follower or the leader part, depending on the given gender unbalance, and offering tons of criticism and corrections to his current partner. He did not know me.
    At the end of the class when I was leaving, he came to me. "Your musicality is incredible!"

j_alexandra, twnkltoz and RiseNFall like this.
  10. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Now that I have context, I can share this.

We are fans of yours. You're like the Michael Jackson of Country dancing.

google "The Michael Jackson of Country Music" for context.

Not taking this one too seriously.

11. newbie

newbie Well-Known Member

Days after, I realized that my "Oh thanks. Much appreciated" reply was not fully adequate, and that instead I should have complimented him as well. But about what? The guy is overall good.
    Being clueless, this Sunday during the milonga when dancing I asked my followers what they liked about his lead.
    "Playfulness", one said.
    "His musicality is not bad" said another, "but not as great as..." Here I blushed slightly. "Let's say his axis then"

Axis it will be.

Joe likes this.
  12. NatashaJ

NatashaJ New Member

"It's fun to dance with you" has probably been my favorite compliment so far.

IndyLady and raindance like this.
  13. Monica M

Monica M New Member

Also, an adept Princess Bride reference! :)

14. IndyLady

These are a couple months old, keep forgetting to post:

1. Coach told me I had great legs. Yay! Went on to lament that I wasn't using them enough. D'oh.

2. A fellow student approached me at a party to let me know that she had told the coach (same person as in #1 above) that I was the dancer she most admired and wanted to "be like", said I was clean but gutsy (and a few other things). tbh, I almost choke-cried, thankfully the lights were down. And to think I almost didn't attend that party because I was feeling tired.

So after several months of taking this class on and off, I finally realized that the back row(s) is/are actually the coveted spots, not sure how I didn't notice that much sooner. Now I take a spot in the front row which is less crowded and I have fewer people competing with me for space. #oblivious

scullystwin42 and FancyFeet like this.
  15. Nik20

Nik20 New Member

"Fin de semana!" (a Cuban exclamation) – then a point at me followed by “Cubano negro!”
    I am neither Cuban, nor black.

16. open_mind

open_mind Member

I was once practicing with my partner in a somewhat empty studio and a couple of newbies came for their first lesson with another instructor. That instructor made them watch us waltzing around as an example, I guess. The newbie lady said to me afterwards: "wow, I couldn't stop watching you, you danced so beautifully". It sounded genuine and is still the best compliment I ever received.

j_alexandra likes this.
  17. newbie

newbie Well-Known Member

To my partner, from another follower:

"You're dancing even better -if possible- after this travel to BsAs.
    I understand why your leader left me on the dancefloor and ran to you when you arrived."

18. IndyLady

Instructor: "I like you. You don't give me ulcers. Or aneurysms."

Sometimes you gotta take what you can get I guess.