Funstuff and Inspiration > Book Club

Discussion in 'Funstuff and Inspiration' started by dlgodud, Jul 29, 2009.

1. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

*sigh* I also hate when that happens in a movie...

2. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Sounds interesting! :cheers:

3. CANI

CANI Active Member

Read The Ten Percent Solution: Simple Steps to Improve Our Lives & Our World by Marc Allen. It was ok. Tiny book. Some good points, but mostly ideas I'd read about before. Was a good reminder of sorts. I don't agree with all of it.

Now reading two books recommended to me. I'm enjoying them both, especially because of the details of the author's personal journey in the course of his exploration of meditation and other topics.
    Going on Being and Thoughts without a Thinker by Mark Epstein, M.D.

4. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Read "Mystically Wired" by Ken Wilson. Some interesting ideas about prayer and mysticism, how it applies to all of us humans... Planning a second read.

Some notable points: "I think, therefore I am" so, "descend with the mind to the heart", "prayer is the art[/heart] of the humanly possible."

5. CANI

CANI Active Member

Sounds interesting!

6. CANI

CANI Active Member

Read, Anger: Wisdom for Cooling the Flames, by Thich Nhat Hanh -- there were a few parts that really didn't resonate with me, but overall, fantastic -- highly recommend it.

Now reading, Healing through the Dark Emotions: The Wisdom of Grief, Fear, and Despair by Miriam Greenspan -- excellent so far...

and also now reading, Thinking Body, Dancing Mind: TaoSports for Extraordinary Performance in Athletics, Business and Life by Chungliang Al Huang and Jerry Lynch

7. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Wow, CANI. Thanks. I read the first couple pages on amazon and ordered this book. It looks really powerful.

8. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

that does sound like a good book...I am currentely committed to getting "Mighty Be our Powers", by the Liberian woman who recently won the Nobel Peace Price....I heard her speak the other day and she just knocked me out

9. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

waiting for Snuff by Terry pratchett

10. CANI

CANI Active Member

You are most welcome! I hope you find it helpful.

11. pygmalion

It hasn't come yet. I always order with the super cheapo super saver shipping. But it should be here by Monday. Very cool! After I've started reading it, I'll check in with thoughts, either here or (more likely) over in the enlightenment thread.

Thanks again! :-D

12. pygmalion

Wow CANI! I just got the book and am browsing through it. This is going to be an awsome read! Thanks. :-D

13. CANI

CANI Active Member

Cool! I've enjoyed quite a bit of it -- particularly chapter 4 with the ABS process -- lots of good food for thought so far!

14. CANI

CANI Active Member

I read The intenSati Method: The Seven Secret Principles to Thinner Peace by Patricia Moreno. I thought it hit on a lot of great stuff as far as the internal messages and thoughts that contribute to difficulty losing weight. I did not try the workout, although I can imagine it would be powerful for many. I also skimmed the nutrition chapters at the end because I already have a focus in that area. I think it is worth a quick read -- it was recommended in the Crazy Sexy Cancer book I was reading. I liked these two quotes as they relate to gaining a healthy weight:
    "All you are -- and all you will be -- is a result of how deeply you honor yourself."
    "Peace of mind will come when you allow yourself to become who you are yearning to become."

In addition to the books I'm reading which I mentioned in a previous post, I'm also reading The Power of Full Engagement: Managing Energy, Not Time, Is the Key to High Performance and Personal Renewal by Jim Loehr and Tony Schwartz. My attraction to the book was initially related to my business-life, but there are a number of great stories and examples about top athletes. I'm enjoying it very much.

15. pygmalion

I was skeptical, because that's just how I am. *shrug* When she told the story of her dentist walking out of the exam room when she told him about her dying son, I was hooked.

This woman has wisdom.

Thanks for sharing this book. Very powerful stuff. :)

16. CANI

CANI Active Member

I read Trust Your Vibes by Sonia Choquette. This author was mentioned highly in a book I adore (The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron), so I decided to read one of her books. I have mixed feelings about it. I found there were some really good points. I loved the real-life examples and stories. It has good practices for application of the material. There were, at times, sections or a single sentence, that really seemed off to me, or not well thought through...so...that contributed to my mixed feelings. However, I got enough value from it such that, overall, I'm glad I read it.

I read Super Immunity: The Essential Nutrition Guide for Boosting Your Body's Defenses to Live Longer, Stronger, and Disease Free by Joel Fuhrman, M.D. It is his most recent book (I chuckled because I was the first person to take it out of the library, having placed a request before the book even came in to the library from the publisher!:)). I definitely recommend it. It has a number of new recipes I'm excited to try out (Marinated Kale Salad, Eggplant Hummus, Golden Austrian Cauliflower Cream Soup, Shiitake Watercress Soup, Super Food Stuffed Peppers...to name a few...yum!)

17. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

Wicked ; Gregory Maguire

I am reading this, but I am getting bored.....

its just weak and dull after a fairly good start...

has anyonel else read it?

here's an amaz review which sums it up for me

Wicked is too long by at least a hundred pages - though the story could easily have been told and done, and the reader is feeling done with it, we're still left slogging along.

Just as the story is building to what turns out to be the (aborted) climax, halfway through, the author suddenly, jarringly, shoves the protagonist into a convent (though she's a complete non-believer), and then has her do absolutely nothing for the next several years (well, she cleans some floors or something).

Though we're still left a couple hundred more pages to wade through, the book is over right there. You keep hoping, expecting, it to somehow start up again, but neither the book nor the characters will every have any interest in anything again. It's over.

The story has, at that point, somehow become a political thriller (Wicked zigzags all about without ever finding an identity). Perhaps the deadness of spirit in a once-impassioned radical, after she's lost faith and/or hope, would have been a worthwhile exploration.

Instead, the story just ends. For some reason, the author keeps writing more pages. For no reason, really.

(The Nature of Evil theme is so incredibly weak and puerile in its rendering as to be nothing more than a tedious distraction from the plot. The characters basically step outside the story for a bit, discuss it, and then go back to whatever they were doing.)

If this were a book of paintings, it would go from lush oil at the beginning to somewhat interesting (dark) watercolors in the middle. After that, there'd be a few nicely shaded drawings, some sketches and finally just stick figures. And that's what you're left with.

It never answers its own questions, never bothers to resolve all the threads that just trail off (and much of what keeps you reading, long after the book has clearly died, is some hope of seeing those resolved - they won't be).

Cruciallly, Elphaba never becomes the Wicked Witch of the West. The author just crams her into that role as abruptly and jarringly as he crammed her into the convent, and suddenly has her say words that have nothing to do with the character we've seen for the past zillion pages.

It's like she was suddenly turned into a puppet, just so Dorothy can accidentally kill her, as if the author forgot she was supposed to be the Wicked Witch of the West and suddenly cut-and-pasted in a brief bit about that so he could have this gimmick to sell it. (That's the climactic confrontation we've been anticipating for 400 pages?)

It's your standard workshop-fiction type of book - lots of attention the phrasing, self-important symbolism, Meaningful (capital M) conflicts, one or two words that might send you to the dictionary - but there's no real fire here, and the author not only doesn't have much of a story to tell, but fails to explore his characters and theme.

If this weren't an alternative view of a familiar character, nobody would read it. There'd be no point. And though that marketing hook will pull many a reader in (as it did me), ultimately there isn't any.

a good idea poorly executed...

18. CANI

CANI Active Member

I haven't...and, with your review, I think I'll skip this one!!:)

19. CANI

CANI Active Member

I read Perfection: A Memoir of Betrayal and Renewal by Julie Metz. I think you will either find it worthy of reading...or really, really hate it.:) It is that kind of book. I appreciated it on a few levels...it is disturbing on quite a few other levels...I landed on the side of having found it worth my time to read it. YMMV;)

20. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Thanks bt. Wicked was one of the possible books on my book club's list for 2012. Now I know.