Funstuff and Inspiration > Book Club

Discussion in 'Funstuff and Inspiration' started by dlgodud, Jul 29, 2009.

1. Aura

Aura Active Member

I recently mentioned this book in another thread, but this seems an appropriate place to reiterate. I'm currently reading The Brothers Karamazov.

2. New in NY

New in NY New Member

Re Wicked - Two friends whose opinions I respect highly recommended this book, but I have not gotten around to picking it up. I bought the book for my son, who also lost interest in the story. We both loved loved loved the Bway show though.

Re Brothers Karamazov - One of my favorites. Thank you for mentioning it - I have to reread again soon.

I recently read The Lock Artist (an easy, quick read) and Sarah's Key (convoluted tear-jerker).

I am reading The Hunger Games with son. Because I love him.

I am reading Betsy-Tacy with daughter.

I can't remember if I have already mentioned Cutting for Stone - highly recommended.

3. Aura

Aura Active Member

I've gotten nothing but good reviews for my current read. How do you like Crime and Punishment?

4. New in NY

New in NY New Member

You must read it !

5. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Oh my goodness! Thanks for the nostalgia. Betsy Tacy and Tib kept me company for quite a few years, when I was little and not so little. What a sweet world for a little girl. I didn't kow those books were still in print.

I'm reading a few books at a time, right now.

What Doesn't Kill Us -- the New Psychology of Post Traumatic Growth (I just started it. Jury's still out.)

Fat Envelope Frenzy (Which tracks students through the college recruiting process. Interesting.)

Right Ho, Jeeves (Oh my gosh! I love Bertie Wooster!)

6. CANI

CANI Active Member

Read Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor E. Frankl -- very interesting.

Now reading, The Courage to Be by Paul Tillich and The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle.

7. CANI

CANI Active Member

A Thousand Names for Joy: Living in Harmony with the Way Things Are ​
    by Byron Katie with Stephen Mitchell. I learned of Byron Katie from Larinda. If you are new to Bryon Katie, I would start with one of her other books, such as Loving What Is, or at least view a few of the videos on her web-site. I found some helpful distinctions in this book. All of her books emphasize finding your truth. However, in all of the examples of people doing The Work with Katie in her other books, if "Is it true?" is "Yes", then "Can you absolutely know it is true?" is "No." This book had a great example of a man doing The Work with Katie and the answers that were true for him were "Yes" to "Is it true?" and "Yes" to "Can you absolutely know it is true?"...and yet it was still as eye-opening and helpful to him as he went through the remaining two questions and the turn-arounds.

The Wisdom of No Escape and the Path of Loving-Kindness ​
    by Pema Chodron. Gem of a book! I learned of Pema Chodron from Larinda.

Another gem of a book that book lovers may really enjoy is Book by Book: Notes on Reading and Life by Michael Dirda (Winner of the Pulitzer Prize for Criticism)

An interesting "What's Possible" book: Rise and Shine: The Extraordinary Story of One Man's Journey from Near Death to Full Recovery by Simon Lewis. Great example of never accepting the word of even top medical professionals as the final word on what's possible for you...his perseverance and determination are awe-inspiring...absolutely incredible true story...

A book full of inspirational stories, and also has some good ideas to pick and choose from: The Success Principles: How to Get from Where You are to Where You Want to Be by Jack Canfield. There's enough good points that is worth a look... (I believe I've also seen pygmalion mention this book on DF; not sure)

Short books worth a quick read: The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success: A Practical Guide to the Fulfillment of Your Dreams by Deepak Chopra and As You Think (As a Man Thinketh updated by Marc Allen) by James Allen

Ones that were not particularly interesting and I wouldn't recommend:​
    Ethical Intelligence: Five Principles for Untangling Your Toughest Problems at Work and Beyond​
    by Bruce Weinstein, Ph.D​
    My Favorite Quotations​
    by Norman Vincent Peale​
    An Hour to Live, an Hour to Love: The True Story of the Best Gift Ever Given​
    by Richard and Kristine Carlson​
    The Power of Mindful Learning​
    by Ellen J. Langer​
    A Course in Weight Loss: 21 Spiritual Lessons for Surrendering Your Weight Forever​
    by Marianne Williamson (this one had some good points, but overall wasn't my cup of tea)​

8. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Just finished reading "Cutting For Stone" by Abraham Verghese. A book about two twins born to an Indian doctor (father) and white nurse in Ethopia, but raised by others. Their life experiences as bound together by a supernatural connection and fascination with medicine, how they find their father and about their mother, their travels back and forth from Ethopia and United States.

I started this, and somehow after a few pages just put it down. After a couple months I picked it up and this time really enjoyed it. I finished it within a week!

9. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

I'm currently reading Bill Bryson's "A Short History of Nearly Everything".

10. New in NY

New in NY New Member

Loved this book.

11. Aura

Aura Active Member

For school: Aristotle's Nicomachean Ethics

Surprisingly, a good portion of it isn't as painfully boring as I thought it would be. However, some parts literally put me to sleep.

Pleasure: Still reading The Brothers Karamazov. It's quite a long read. Also reading Confessions by St. Augustine, almost done with it.

Future readings for school are Virgil's Aeneid and Ovid's Metamorphoses, particularly excited about the latter. Haven't decided on future pleasure readings.

12. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

heavy stuff..

i have just started on Ravi Zabor's "The Bear Comes home."
    :cool:

13. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

heavy stuff..

i have just started on Ravi Zabor's "The Bear Comes home."
    :cool:

14. CANI

CANI Active Member

Quickly noting down titles for future reading...:)...interesting list of books!

Three Little Words: A Memoir by Ashley Rhodes-Courter -- a wonderful "What's Possible?" book -- nine years of her life spent in fourteen different foster homes, some abusive...she's in her mid-twenties now, a college graduate, an international speaker, and an advocate for reform of the foster care system...impressive...

Now reading, Willpower: Rediscovering the Greatest Human Strength by Ray F. Baumeister & John Tierney (some interesting points so far, some disconnects with my experience/thinking....jury's out so far...)

Also reading Musashi by Eiji Yoshikawa -- learned about this one from madmaximus :)

15. CANI

CANI Active Member

Whatcha'll reading?;) I know I'm not the only one who has read something in the past month! 'Fess up!;)

What Now? by Ann Patchett...based on a commencement speech she gave at her alma mater. Wonderful. Tiny book. Loved this part: "For the most part wisdom comes in chips rather than blocks. You have to be willing to gather them constantly, and from sources you never imagined to be probable. No one chip gives you the answer for everything. No one chip stays in the same place throughout your entire life. The secret is to keep adding voices, adding ideas, and moving things around as you put together your life...a process that will last through every single day you're alive." (This came after a delightful story of a chip she gained from a Hare Krishna at an airport when she was a young Catholic college student.)

The Art of Happiness: A Handbook for Living by the Dalai Lama and Howard C. Cutler, M.D. Great, practical, thoughtful review of life experiences explored in a very gentle and thought-provoking way.

The Introvert Advantage by Marti Olsen Laney, Psy.D If you are an introvert, or know one, you will benefit, IMO, greatly from reading Part 1 of the book (the remainder has plusses and minuses -- it covers action plans, parenting, relationships between introverts and extroverts) -- Part 1 is EXCELLENT. She explains, so clearly, what being an introvert is and what it isn't (for example, it has nothing to do with shyness -- both introverts and extroverts can be shy and shyness has nothing to do with introversion). She covers so clearly why, if you are an introvert, you may have felt like a fish out of water in a society made up mostly of extroverts. There is interesting information about the different workings of introvert brains and extrovert brains. This book debunks all the damaging (and blatantly wrong) definitions about introverts. Highly recommend part 1 of this book.

16. CANI

CANI Active Member

Now reading...a book that's a bit slow-going, but so far has kept my interest: Questions of Character: Illuminating the Heart of Leadership Through Literature by Joseph L. Badaracco, Jr.

Next up: All of Jane Austen...inspired by madmaximus.:)

17. Aura

Aura Active Member

Trying to revive this thread. I'm looking to read some more Dante after I finish up with my school and two pleasure readings, which are almost done.

18. CANI

CANI Active Member

Nice! Thanks for sharing.

19. GGinrhinestones

GGinrhinestones Well-Known Member

I found another one along these same lines, which I highly recommend - "Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking". It's a NY Times best seller, and has much the same message about introverts as the book listed above - that it isn't the same thing as being shy, that it affects nearly everything about how we communicate with people and live our lives, and that there ARE ways for introverts to succeed extremely well in a society (like the US) dominated by and highly valuing extroverts. Highly recommend the whole book, and I'm about to go hunt down the studies she cites throughout the whole thing.

20. anntennis

anntennis Active Member

Anybody read " 50 shades of gray?" Went to. Very respectable group in a private alumni club where the major editor from the top publishing house kept talking about unbelivable phenomena and talent of this book.