Tango Argentino > Cheapest private lessons in Europe?

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by Andreas Winsnes, Sep 4, 2017.

1. Vincenze

Vincenze Member

Why does every old milonguero rush as fast as possible to invite a young beautiful lady when there are plenty of able women with personality of his own age?

2. Lilly_of_the_valley

Lilly_of_the_valley Well-Known Member

He does not. Where have you seen that.

3. Reuven Thetanguero

Reuven Thetanguero Active Member

First - what is an old milonguero? 50? 60? 70? 80? 90?
    Second, numerically I qualify as an "old milonguero". I love women but I would never rush to colleges to dance Tango - it may make me feel creepy like a pedophile...
    For dancing I would always ask a follower who seems to be a good dancer, and yes, if there are several available - a more attractive would be my first choice. An inexperienced "young beautiful lady" would never be my on my short list.

4. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

According to my long ago copy of tango related vocabulary...
    An older tango dancer, one who frequented the milongas during the 1940's and 50's. Also refers to those frequenting the milongas and considered tango enthusiasts.
    Maybe "old milonguero" is redundant.

Also, I recently checked definitions both in a 1975 dictionary, and an online article citing US Census information, and ... yeah, I'm no longer "middle aged," which means I'm....

5. sixela

sixela Well-Known Member

Why is it that this not only feels like a rhetorical question, but also one with a false premise? You should post your 'questions' on Quora...

One more false certainty...and in this case it feels a lot like psychological projection.

@Steve: one of these days we're going to have to review the definition of your old copy, preferably before "old milonguero" becomes synonymous with "deceased milonguero".

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
  6. sixela

sixela Well-Known Member

I like your interjection of the word "fertile". Now _that_ is most definitely creepy. Feeling _that_ desperate to insert your genes in the gene pool?

7. sixela

sixela Well-Known Member

I think he's trying for "if you can't beat them, confuse them".

8. sixela

sixela Well-Known Member

As the choir sings in "Tengo Mil Novias": "Él las tiene en la imaginación".

I'm very close to imagining Vincenze (rather than el Chato or Armando Moreno) singing the lyrics when I hear that song...'le gustan todos', as long as they're "fertile" [sic].

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
    newbie likes this.
  9. sixela

sixela Well-Known Member

Vincenze, has it ever occured to you that "checking photos" is no substitute for the actual experience of having been somewhere, if you want to come across as knowledgeable rather than an armchair expert?

Of the four locations that @Lilly_of_the_valley mentioned, I've been to three, and she's probably been to four. That's probably one of the reasons I tend to share her assessment rather than yours.

itwillhappen likes this.
  10. Lilly_of_the_valley

Imagining stuff about oneself is one thing.
    Imagining and telling things about others, especially derogatory, creepy things, making them up just in attempt to prove one's point (or to troll?) is way out of line.

11. sixela

sixela Well-Known Member

12. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

1) $15 is nothing for many (if not most) of the students that can afford to go to Harvard.
    2) Consider the possibility that there are reasons other than finances, for a certain demographic distribution.
    Things such as: the gender balance, the existing demographics, the time to become proficient. Then compare these characteristics to other dances such as salsa. Young people in the US tend to be impatient.

Lilly_of_the_valley likes this.
  13. Mladenac

Mladenac Well-Known Member

So you want to imply that young people elsewhere are patient.

sixela likes this.
  14. itwillhappen

itwillhappen Active Member

I think the need to compensate this factor is the most expensive.
    Learning tango can be quite cheap if you start in the beautiful age of 30- with fun and power and without entitlements.
    It might be far more expensive if you detect your love to tango in the beautiful age of 60+ as an escape from your armchair for the settled years that remain.

15. Lilly_of_the_valley

Some 60+ are in better shape and have more fun and power, and significantly less entitlement than certain 30 years old. Let's not generalize here. Especially, remembering that learning Tango does not require extreme or even more than average physical abilities.

Reuven Thetanguero likes this.
  16. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

I haven't lived anywhere else, so I don't actually know.

[​IMG]

17. itwillhappen

Generalisation is possible - but individualisation back to someone is not possbile.
    But I targeted more to the individual situation:

Do I have a deadline, maybe a major event?
    Do I have a affair, someone I would love to dance with.
    Did my social expectations grow over the years?
    Am I still able to learn new stuff fast?

As so often are there tradeoffs between time, budget and quality.
    And if you have no time, that stresses budget or quality.

I personally was not willing to learn a few years only to dance relaxed at a milonga.
    And so do I not complain that it costed a pretty penny to accelerate that.

Mladenac likes this.
  18. Lilly_of_the_valley

OK, so you are saying, in your specific example, your goal was to learn faster (than what, I did not quite understand), and your solution was to invest more money into it.

I am not sure, how it is relevant to my argument, which is: as far as learning and practicing tango is considered, age is only one factor, among many.

For example, everybody knows that the younger you are, the easier is to learn a new language. In general. My hobby is learning new languages. I have been doing it all my life. So, from time to time I find myself in a class full of college students beginning to learn a foreign language. I am significantly older, but still I learn faster, just because I have more experience and practice at it. Among other factors, such as amount of patience, motivation, free time, expectations that also may be in my favor at my age (or not).

In a dance class it is the same. A young person who had never danced or done anything similar with her/his body before will struggle more than a much older person who has done similar things all her/his life.

A socioeconomic factor is also important, but relative here. The price of the lesson is the same for any age. Let's say, we have two people, one younger, another older. In order to achieve the same skill (whatever it is) a younger person has to take less lessons than the older one, and respectfully, spend less $$. But an older person may have larger income, so she/he my spend more in absolute numbers, but significantly less than the younger person in percentage to the income. Who made bigger financial sacrifice?

That only, not considering a fact that investing money is only one way to accelerate learning. A student may invest more in time and effort instead.

Leave alone, there are no speed requirements or objective deadlines in Tango, and participation in events like performances and competitions is not essential.

19. sixela

sixela Well-Known Member

I live somewhere else: they're just as impatient over here.

Mladenac and dchester like this.
  20. itwillhappen

Of course is age only one factor. Especially if s/o learned new dances his whole life, s/he might not need a teacher at all to learn tango.
    The other way round: if one didn't dance at all for decades, then s/he just has to pay for that.

There might be reasons not to have endless time to learn. To keep pace with a beloved person was one for me. To attend a special event another. And maybe not everyone will live forever, who knows.

When I started I watched couples that took only classes for a few years. A nice leisure activity, more expensive than milongas, but most of that students didn't really learn to dance.
    I took up to four classes in parallel, but as soon as it was less stress for me to dance on a milonga than to listen the explanation loop of the teacher I stopped that all.
    At that point did I reach my goal, but taking four classes in parallel might only speed up learning by a factor two, that makes such an approach expensive.

BTW:
    My objective in these days is quality - not budget so much, not time at all.
    So I take two private lessons every six weeks, with travel and hotel expenses.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017