Ballroom Dance > Coaching

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Rumbagirl, Jul 19, 2009.

1. Rumbagirl

Rumbagirl New Member

I recently switched teachers and will soon compete in Open with a new Pro. With my old pro, we often had outside coaching as we were in a large studio where top coaches came in. My new pro owns his own small studio and because he and his wife are the only pros there, no outside coaches come in. (I guess they don't bring them in) I really like getting outside coaching once in a while as I find it helpful to have a knowledgeable third party's view and it is always a great learning experiene. What is the proper way to approach this topic with him?

2. samina

samina Well-Known Member

"i'd like to get outside coaching from some traveling coaches... any recommendations?"

and go to wherever they visit. no need to bring them to his studio.

3. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

Exactly.

It may even be difficut for him to bring coaches in. He would be responsible for booking said coach for on average of at least two days, 10 lessons each day (at least 2000), plus airfare and travel expenses (300), plus hotel accomadations for two or three nights (400). As you can see this can add up to around around $2700. So between he and his wife he may not be able to book enough lessons to try to hand out a $2700 paycheck...

If he seems open to the idea try talking to the other students to see who else is interested in getting coaching. And you could even be an "administrative assistant" for a day and do the bookings for him, assuring him that all 20 lesson spots will be filled, so he is not losing hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars.

4. etp777

etp777 Active Member

MIght also work with another local indy studio if you know people at one. I know we mostly bring in coaches in conjunction with other studios in area, to ensure scheduling enough coachings for the two days (we'll generally do one day at each studio), and to split the other costs that Larinda gives. Exception of course being those local, which luckily both coaches next week are.

5. This is interesting...I didn't know Pro/Am couples got outside coaching. What happens when there is a conflict in styles? Or do you guys decide who to go to together? Or does the pro decide? Or...well, how does this work?

6. latingal

latingal Well-Known Member

This is a very frequent occurrence in pro-am.

I'm sure it differs in different dancer's situations. But my pro normally recommends or brings in coaches to work with. We may decide for me to take the coaching alone or with him.

I have on occasion gone to a coaching by myself without consulting my pro (normally happens when pros are traveling/away). If I get conflicting information, I just store it away in my brain's knowledge of dancesport folder (though since most of these coaches are very top level, normally that information gets used down the line - and until that point, I am at least aware of it).

7. emkey

emkey New Member

I had a weird visualization of this -_-" would that be in an external hard disk or on an internet storage

8. latingal

*grin* I've only got a small capacity disk....if you want capacity you should see TC at work. *lol*

9. njdancegirl

njdancegirl Active Member

Mind burning a disk for me to upload?!? :rolleyes: Could use some of your knowledge...

10. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I got outside coaching with FP...it was important...coaches rarely come to the current place...lessons with NP are so rich that even after a year I don't feel the need, and his wife is an excellent second set of eyes...but...if I did hear of a good coach in the area, I would ask them if they would take me alone and I would avail myself of whatever they had to offer

11. latingal

*grin*

12. etp777

etp777 Active Member

I always discuss with pros ahead of time whether they think I could benefit from session with a particular coach (though the answer is almost always yes, as I need lots of help ;) ). One of most recent coaches was brought in partly on my request, as I'd seen how much he helped pro smooth couple at other studio. But pros at my studio had interacted with him at several local comps he was judging at, so sure that had at least as much, if not more, influence than my request. :)

13. That's really cool. Good for me to know for later down the line when I'm actually somewhat better hehe...

14. QPO

QPO New Member

I like advice from different sources also. I stayed with one teacher for two years and now have two coaches and love the difference styles of teaching they bring to our dancing...one is a stickler for feet and the other for topline, so between the two it covers everything :)