Ballroom Dance > Dancing on TV > Colorado comp.

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by tangotime, May 26, 2014.

1. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

For those in the UK, the TLC channel is showing the comp tonite ( Tues 27th ) at 9pm

2. tangotime

I watched the whole program.

1... I dont know who the camera person was, but, they did not have a clue about filming dancers.

2.. The "Music".. Ive heard some strange songs for comps,over the years, but this was the most bizarre ever.
    The Waltz & FT " Music ? ", was the strangest !!

3. jiwinco

jiwinco Active Member

Darn, I was there and would love to see it... but I am in Colorado

4. tangotime

PBS often show dance comps. Keep checking it out.

You were actually at the Comp. ? .

5. jiwinco

jiwinco Active Member

I will keep checking PBS, and TLC. Thanks Not sure they will keep the name the same, but what was it called?

Yes, and I was on the floor during some of the filming... there were lots of interviews outside the ballroom, just curious how it was cut in the end.

6. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Really? When? I haven't seen any in years. Maybe local PBS reruns old stuff or does local programming.

7. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

Were they airing a show they filmed at last year's Colorado Starball?

8. tangotime

The interviews seemed interminable. 3 ladies all from different backgrounds, a good mix. The dance part of the program, did not show Mambo, only Cha, Bolero and Swing .

The one contestant ( a lawyer ) talked about how much she had spent in the past year, and finished with the comment " So I should win " !!! ( she didnt...).

It was listed as the " Colorado Star ball " .
    Funny that, a Sky station, would show an American Comp ? in the U.K. and, we have had several dance programs shown over the past 2/3 yrs. Specifically,for e.g. the one with the kids in NYC ,with Pierre Dulain .
    I believe many of these are "shot" by small companies ,as the major networks other than PBS ,seem to have little or no interest .

9. tangotime

Yes.. If its not been held so far this yr ( I dont know the date )

10. jiwinco

jiwinco Active Member

Yes, it was filmed almost a year ago. The Colorado Starball starts June 19th this year

It is strange that they would show an American comp in the UK. Truly sad that the lawyer contestant thought that spending enough was all she needed to win. :oops:

11. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

At least we didn't suffer those TV people for nothing. I was competing there last year, and those guys were such nuisance.

SDsalsaguy likes this.
  12. jiwinco

jiwinco Active Member

Isn't that the truth!!:eek:

13. tangotime

Thanks for the info.. tonite (10th ) they are showing the Manhattan comp.
    As to its showing here, they know they have a good dance "audience " . Theres a smattering of American style taught here ( other than myself ) .

14. chrisjohnston

chrisjohnston Well-Known Member

My sister just called me and said that I appeared giving a judges point of view on the program involving Manhattan.

Chris

danceronice likes this.
  15. tangotime

Chris, I watched the program and was trying to see Judges who I maybe know. Hard to tell, as people change over time and few close-ups . A few names,please.( Was Sam one ? )

Also, there were fewer student interviews (it seemed ) and more of the dances shown ,than the Color. vid.and much better music.

16. chrisjohnston

Sam did judge the event.Brian macdonald and John kimmons also judged.

Chris

17. tangotime

I knew Brian was there ( he gave some commentary ) and I thought i saw John, and I guess I was correct.
    By the way, as you know , its Kimmins .

18. chrisjohnston

I do now

Cheers
    chris

19. tangotime

I should have said, Gary gave the commentary .