Ballroom Dance > Competition Hair

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by smidra86, Apr 4, 2012.

1. scullystwin42

scullystwin42 Well-Known Member

Hmmmm, interesting; i have very curly/kinky/frizzy but fine hair, and when i try those lovely braids that you then "pancake"/pull out slightly to get more volume, my hair IMMEDIATELY turns into frizz bomb. no matter how much it's been smoothed. I wonder if crimping would help keep the frizz a little more under control...

2. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

probably, since crimping is essentially heating hair into a wavy pattern instead of heating it straight.

3. sambagirl

sambagirl Member

Question for the hive mind: anyone use Elnett extra strong hold? I've used got2b glued but don't like the way the spray comes out (not fine enough). I have a giant Schwarzkopf Silhouette can, but it's too big for travel.

4. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

I've used it for a show and it was fine, but I find it doesn't hold strong enough for the rigours of competition - where I will be napping/sleeping on it, changing costumes, dancing multiple rounds back-to-back, etc.

5. sambagirl

sambagirl Member

Good to know - thanks!

6. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

I dunno if it comes in travel sizes, but I've had good luck with Aussie freezing spray. Similar price point to got2b glued, I found the smell much more pleasant. Don't recall if it came out finer so it might not address your issue, but maybe it's another option to check out?

ETA: I am a guy but my female ballroom friends said it also worked well on their hair.

middy likes this.
  7. sambagirl

sambagirl Member

Yeah Aussie's on my list to try, as well as Schwarzkopf Osis+ Freeze. Thanks for the vote!

8. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

Has anyone used non-aerosol hairspray for dance hair? My hairdressser used it yesterday for a wedding updo and apparently it's very good for shiny hair.

9. bia

bia Well-Known Member

Yes, I use a pump bottle (have used various brands), and it works fine for me. But despite my hair's tendency to curly wisps, it's quite thin and fine, so it doesn't place enormous demands on a hairspray. I've lately been using Brocato Powerfix, since its descriptions/reviews said it was good for both hold and shine, but I haven't noticed any exceptional shine from it, so I'll probably go cheaper again once this is used up.

10. Sania

Sania Well-Known Member

Love your dancing cat photo!

11. bia

bia Well-Known Member

Thanks! Wish I could say I took it, but I googled instead. I haven't gotten my cats dancing yet, but I'll keep working on them.

Sania and stash like this.
  12. SwingingAlong

SwingingAlong Well-Known Member

Tried hanging a catnip mouse on an elastic?

Sania, bia and raindance like this.
  13. Dance Mad Helen

Dance Mad Helen Active Member

Need advice on how to style my hair. Today I chose to have my long hair chopped off into a pixie cut with the front almost jaw length. Well the front is just below ear longest point at middle cheek. how do i style for beginner comps I do ballroom and latin on the same day

14. s2k

s2k Well-Known Member

I'd go to Pinterest, create a new board, and start searching for images you think you can recreate.

The easiest thing is probably to brush it all back away from your face in some way. I've seen many women dance both styles and have short hair, and they'll style it back in some way.

Good luck!

Larinda McRaven likes this.
  15. middy

middy Well-Known Member

If it's just barely long enough to put in a ponytail, then do that and add some fake hair for a bun.

Otherwise, slick it back with gel as neatly as you can.

16. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

What's the consensus on decorative headbands or headcoverings? Particularly in Latin I see them.

17. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

personally I love them

18. SwayWithMe

SwayWithMe Well-Known Member

I do! Paul Mitchell Freeze and Shine (or the generic version of it from Sally)

3wishes likes this.
  19. middy

middy Well-Known Member

I like most headbands and very few head-coverings.

20. raindance

raindance Well-Known Member

I find the fully stoned head-coverings distracting. My attention is drawn to the dancer's head-covering instead of to the rest of the dancer (feet, leg actions, body actions, etc). But I guess it's a one time expense that eliminates a lot of hair appointments afterwards. And it gives you one more surface to cover in rhinestones. (shrug)