Competition Hair

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by smidra86, Apr 4, 2012.

1. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

Whereas I don't mind heavy decorations or headbands on the head, and really want to wear a fascinator sometime with the right dress, but hate the band across the forehead look (no reason, I just dislike it), wide scarves that cover the hairline and full head coverings (because it feels like you were too lazy to really do your hair).

2. Sania

Sania Well-Known Member

I would think the full head covering would also be very hot...in a temperature sense

3. TakeTwo

TakeTwo Active Member

Has anyone gone through airport security with competition hair? In the past, TSA has stopped me to search my ponytail, even though my hair is so fine you couldn't hide a bobby pin in it. I'm thinking the body scanners will have a field day with dozens of pins...

Reason I ask is because I'm dancing and dashing for the first time next month: dancing in the evening session, then hauling posterior to the airport to fly home around midnight. I guess I could pull the pins in the cab, but the driver may not appreciate the strays.

Experience/advice would be very welcome!

4. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Well-Known Member

I"ve travelled a few times with my hair did and it never seemed to be a problem. I did get randoms staring (probably out of fascination). Some people thought that was "normal hair styling" for me hahahhaha. Muggles.

5. scullystwin42

scullystwin42 Well-Known Member

random: i got a crimper (YO OLD SCHOOL) to try out the new texturized hairstyles that seem to be popular in Europe. I wasn't into them at first, but they've grown on me, and as I've mentioned before, maybe this will be better. excited to try it.

s2k and Miss Silly like this.
  6. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Well-Known Member

Fill us in when you do!!! I'm curious.

stash and s2k like this.
  7. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Well-Known Member

I've got wierd looks from normal people just sitting in hotel lobby or elevator with my comp hair and makeup

8. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Don't forget your stonewashed jeans and your jellies!

Miss Silly likes this.
  9. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

On the subject of crimping, my coach's partner did hair/makeup for all the ladies in our formation piece for a showcase a couple weeks ago. She did crimping on several of the ladies' hair, always mixed with some of the more classic smooth texture. I was a big fan, I've come to realize that I don't care for the all over texture look, but I really like it as an accent for visual interest.

scullystwin42 likes this.
  10. TakeTwo

TakeTwo Active Member

That's reassuring to hear. Thanks!
    Meeeh I'm used to that part whenever I decide to keep the hair for more than a day. No concerns there!

Miss Silly likes this.
  11. TakeTwo

TakeTwo Active Member

Stylist crimped my hair for Ohio. I was excited to see what it would look like, but I didn't end up seeing any difference. My hair is doomed to never hold a curl or crimp... :( The hair still looked lovely, though!

Miss Silly likes this.
  12. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

Is there a trick to keeping hair for multiple days? I have a two day comp next year and I'm curious!

13. TakeTwo

TakeTwo Active Member

Satin pillow case, secure hairstyle and LOTS of hairspray. For the former, I have a satin robe I throw over my pillow that does the job. It's not the best night's sleep, but I'd rather that than have to do my hair twice.

Note: I don't do my own hair and leave it to someone who knows what they're doing with bobby pins and spray. The style has always held up overnight. I think once I even kept my hair for two extra days.

14. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

When I have to wear mine for multiple days, I plan the hairstyle to keep the side I like to sleep on relatively smooth (because it's way more comfortable to sleep on that way) and bring a large satin scarf to use as a headwrap (because I much prefer that to a satin pillowcase).

mindputtee likes this.
  15. s2k

s2k Well-Known Member

Hairspray. Before bed, when you wake up again, and before you go downstairs. Repeat. Wear a plastic shower cap in the shower to protect not just from spray but from humidity.

Make sure it's styled in such a way your neck will be able to relax - I've had mine long and in a low, low ponytail, and slick on both sides, so where the hair was gathered was below the pillow under my neck. I've also worn a very high bun, on/above the crown, so it won't interfere that way either. I don't do hair squiggles around my forehead so I won't accidentally roll over and smush them.

I've gotten three days out of a hair style before. When you're paying Boyko, you want as much wear out of his art as you can get, knowwhatImean? :D

16. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

I'll also second the recommendation to wrap your hair in a scarf before sleep.

Miss Silly and Lioness like this.
  17. Sania

Sania Well-Known Member

You are all way tougher than I am ;)

raindance and RiseNFall like this.
  18. s2k

s2k Well-Known Member

Nah, it's just I'm cheap! :D

Miss Silly and Sania like this.
  19. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

And I'm just lazy and don't want to have to redo it myself!

Miss Silly and s2k like this.
  20. scullystwin42

scullystwin42 Well-Known Member

Ok, ladies - you with frizzy hair, this crimped style is THE BOMB. It was sooooo quick and easy to do my hair!!! This can never go out of style ever. because it is how i am wearing my hair all the time. looked great on the video and on the floor, too.

Attached Files: