Ballroom Dance > Competition Hair

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by smidra86, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Sania

Sania Well-Known Member

Ponytail question: for those of you who have done the low ponytail - how on earth do you make it secure? I did a quick search and did not find any ballroom ponytail tutorials - does anyone have any good links?

2. SwingingAlong

SwingingAlong Active Member

I've seen a video where they take one of the thinner hair elastics, push a bobby pin through each side, and holding the hair in a bunch, poke one of the bobby pins below your fist, wind the elastic around and around, then poke the other bobby pin through, making sure it crosses and locks over the first one. I had quite thick hair, and I found it easier to loop TWO of the thin elastics together to give enough room to move. I actually made a little movie clip of the process but couldn't figure out how to upload it, so have just added a couple pics instead. I did this on my nieces, who both have really thick hair, and it didn't budge. You can then take a section of hair from the tail, and wind it around and pin it to cover the elastics. Sorry I had to use a haur extension I made as an example, since my hair hasn't grown back yet!!
    looped.png then add bobby pins.png wound around.png covered.png

theAnnelis and Sania like this.
  3. s2k

s2k Well-Known Member

TUTORIAL! TUTORIAL!

Glad it worked for you - tell us what you did!

scullystwin42 likes this.
  4. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Well-Known Member

OOOOOhhhhh @scullystwin42 well done!! I want a tutorial too!! LOL

theAnnelis and scullystwin42 like this.
  5. scullystwin42

scullystwin42 Well-Known Member

ok! will do. this weekend. because i am slammed at work. checking this while i eat during my 15 minute lunch.

Miss Silly, s2k and SwingingAlong like this.
  6. scullystwin42

scullystwin42 Well-Known Member

ok, the weekend was crazy, but i will figure out a way to film or take pics for a short tutorial. sorry for the delay.

s2k likes this.
  7. stream26

stream26 New Member

I've occasionally succeeded at this by making a half-ponytail first with the top half of my hair, secured well with either one thick elastic or two thin ones, and then pulling the rest of my hair up to the half-ponytail and securing the whole thing with another thick elastic or two thin ones. The upper half helps support the lower half, and it's not hard to hide the dividing line between the two.
    I often do updo like and secure it with bobby pins, so you can do the same with ponytail also

Sania likes this.