Ballroom Dance > Competition Makeup

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Ballroom Boutique, Jan 4, 2017.

1. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

Often, it's anything with SPF - especially those products that use physical blockers (like zinc oxide). Shimmery highlighters or 'radiance boosting' foundations can do it as well... as can too many layers of translucent powder. I like to powder once, then set with setting spray... then it's blotting papers to address shine.

(I remember watching a dance makeup YouTube video once that recommended using sunscreen as a primer... no thanks!)

j_alexandra, s2k and Miss Silly like this.
  2. flying_backwards

flying_backwards Active Member

Up until now I have relied on my friends to do all my make-up for performances and the one competition I've done. I know nothing about make-up. Not just comp make-up, any make-up. So there's a comp next Saturday, too early in the morning to ask my friends to do me, nobody there offering the service, so finally I must face doing my own face. I've studied this thread and delved into YouTube but it's all so very complicated. And so many products to buy!

Tomorrow a ballroom friend is going to take me make-up shopping. I've been told these are the items I need. Which ones can I skip? It's just syllabus, not all day, so maybe it does not need to be so complicated?

primer
    foundation
    setting powder
    eye primer
    eye shadow palette
    eye liner
    brow something (I think she said powder?)
    fake lashes & glue
    lip gloss (she said 4 layers after alcohol scrub)
    blush and bronzer
    concealer
    setting spray
    brushes, sponges, thingies for applying the stuff

So, of that list, which are optional?

At least I already own make-up remover. Learned that the hard way: buy that before the event or face walking into the drugstore in stage make-up.

One more wrinkle: I am going to have to do my face during the drive, with my partner driving my car (and not used to the clutch). I'm more apprehensive about the make-up than the dancing.

3. rels77

rels77 Active Member

So, you probably don't need eye primer. I would vote for a good lip liner and lipstick over gloss.

And I would say do not do your makeup in the car under any circumstances. Depending on the drive, do it at home and then just touch up when you get there or leave earlier and do it at the comp. if you';re not familiar with it, that's jsut asking for trouble.

and if you're not that used to it, you should plan for it to take you like 45 minutes to do. at least.

middy likes this.
  4. FancyFeet

At least, don't do your eye makeup in the car!

My minimum kit (assuming lower levels of syllabus and only a few rounds):
    Make-up:
    Moisturizer
    Medium-full coverage foundation
    Concealer
    Powder
    Bronzer
    Blush
    Eyeliner
    Eyeshadow (2 neutral shades, preferably three: skin colour, medium brown and dark brown. Preferably matte or low shimmer.)
    Mascara (black)
    Lip liner
    Lipstick​
    Tools:
    Blush Brush
    Eye shadow brush (way better than the sponges!)
    Clean mascara wand/comb (you'll use this to address any mascara clumps, or to tame wayward eyebrows with a little hairspray)
    Small angled brush (you can use this to smudge eye liner, and to use for your brows with the med/dark brown eyeshadow)
    To take it up a bit, add some or all of:
    Make-up:
    Primer
    Highlighter
    Liquid eyeliner
    Eye primer
    Eyebrow pencil/powder brow kit
    Setting spray
    Clear brow gel/brow wax
    Self tanner​
    Tools:
    Eyelash curler
    Foundation brush
    Contour or kabuki brush
    Powder brush
    Blending sponge
    Crease eyeshadow brush
    False lashes and glue
    Tweezers
    My best tip: Practice beforehand. Preferably twice. And leave more time than you think you need day of... because it's harder when you're nervous.

SwayWithMe, Miss Silly, middy and 2 others like this.
  5. theAnnelis

theAnnelis Active Member

Haha. FancyFeet is right, you'll get some flashback with SPF, but the specific type of flashback you're talking about is usually comes from HD setting powders. That's not to say it happens with all of them, but just be wary of powders with a high content of silica in them - that's the main ingredient that causes it. Another thing is, in those cases, the artist just applied way too much of it - just dip the brush and use the tiniest amount, which will be enough for your whole face, and it'll be fine, and please please PLEASE, don't add more HD powder once your makeup is already set and dry!

Miss Silly likes this.
  6. IndyLady

IndyLady Well-Known Member

So much both of these, I cannot emphasize this enough.

Especially the "practice beforehand" advice.

Tangential but somewhat related story: I was a bridesmaid for one of my close friends who never wore makeup. We were all responsible for our own hair/makeup, though she had her hair done at a salon (we went with her, it was fun). A couple hours before the wedding as we were all getting ready, she panicked and asked me to do her makeup for her. She handed me a white highlight pencil, two equally medium shades of creme eye shadow - one brown, one gray, and the eyeliner. Now, I've done my own makeup a bunch, but I had no idea at that moment what the nice lady at the counter who sold her this stuff probably advised her as to how to apply it, as her face/eye shape/lids/everything was very different from mine. So I did the best I could with what I had. Ten minutes later, one of the other bridesmaids (another no- or minimal makeup person) walks in, looks at her, and says "OMG, Jane, you look like a -----". (I can't remember if she said something more akin to "circus performer" or "prostitute"). "You've got to take some of that off." Anyways, she ended up taking all of it off, because as we all know here, creme eye shadow does not really have levels, it's binary - it's either on or off. Bridesmaid #2 ran off and found a neutral powder palette (browns) and re-did it.

Anyways, moral of the story here, a lot of stress happened b/c the star of the show didn't recognize that, like dance, makeup is something you also have to practice to get good at, you don't magically slap it on the day of with no experience and look like a princess.

j_alexandra, theAnnelis and raindance like this.
  7. bia

bia Well-Known Member

I would skip the false eyelashes until you've had multiple chances to practice with them. Once you know how to apply them, they make a big difference to appearance, but they take some learning. When you do start using them, I'd suggest starting with "accent lashes" just for the outer corner; once you're comfortable with those, you can start practicing with the full strip.

I also strongly suggest avoiding liquid eyeliner as a beginner. Personally, for comp makeup, I use black cream eyeshadow for my eyeliner.

And yes, practice!!

theAnnelis and IndyLady like this.
  8. FancyFeet

Yep. Normally, dancesport is of the "more is more" approach... but IMHO, more done badly is worse than simple done well.

You can get by with a simple bun and classic makeup (blush, simple eyeshadow, some eyeliner and mascara, filled-in brows and a bright lipstick). I also recommend bronzer if you are pale. Try to contour or do a smoky eye/cut crease without practice though, and well... just don't. Also, don't do colour on your eyes if you're new to make-up.

(And don't be afraid to ask around. A dance friend is terrible at makeup, and had made an appointment to get hers done for comp... but the makeup artist came down with food poisoning and cancelled last-minute. The night before, she found me in a panic... I had finished competing, it was about midnight... I agreed to get up at 5:30, do her make-up and go back to bed. She brought me coffee and slipped me a few $ to say thanks. Maybe not pro quality, since I was sleep deprived and hadn't brought my full kit with me - just what I needed for myself, and we dance different styles and have different colouring - but better than she could have done herself with late-night drugstore or borrowed stuff.)

theAnnelis, Purr and IndyLady like this.
  9. flying_backwards

Reality check! Even to go to the make-up store tomorrow I have to miss a dance practice. Zero time to practice applying make-up, not without stealing sleep, work or dance practice time. So... this is not realistic, doing make-up myself for this Saturday. Thank you DF angels for averting that disaster.

I do believe what FancyFeet says "more done badly is worse than simple done well." But I would not even know how to do make-up simply.

I will just have to find someone to do my face this time and then plan farther ahead for next time.

10. jiwinco

jiwinco Active Member

For next time you can have some of the makeup store teach you how to do the basics.

I understand that MAC stores, Ulta and Sephora will do your makeup. This is a good start for understanding basics... not enough for the stage, but good basic understanding will help the learning process.

IndyLady likes this.
  11. middy

middy Well-Known Member

You can use concealer and powder as an eye primer, so no need to buy that separately.

I'm going to say the same thing as others - absolutely do not do your makeup in the car! Either wake up extra early before you leave or get to the venue early enough (2 hours ahead of when you dance) to do your makeup. The only thing you could reasonably do in the car is apply lipstick, maybe.

Just in case you don't find someone, I think you could find three hours somewhere to prepare - one hour to go buy the makeup and two hours to practice using it.

Worst case scenario if you find yourself in a bind and are freaking out about makeup: throw on a single neutral metallic eyeshadow from lashline to crease (the edge of your eye socket) (color: gold or bronze), black pencil eyeliner, mascara, some blush, and a bright lip (red). Fill in your brows if you have lighter hair, but if you have darker hair, you might be able to skip that.

I also wrote a blog post a while back that might point you to some other videos that may be helpful, though I don't know how good they would be for an absolute beginner. https : // ballroommind . wordpress . com/2013/09/01/how-to-ballroom-makeup/

raindance and flying_backwards like this.
  12. theAnnelis

theAnnelis Active Member

flying_backwards, I'm with everyone else. 1, don't do your makeup in the car, least of all eye makeup. Recipe for disaster. I was on the train earlier tonight and had trouble getting straight lines with my liquid lipstick - and I'm a pro.

But secondly, in my experience, buying a whole ton of makeup at once without knowing *through experience* what you need is a bad idea - you'll probably end up buying a lot of items you'll either not know how to use, never use again, or that won't suit you, and that's just an insane waste of money, because good quality, durable makeup is not cheap. A light glam look or even a natural look can easily add up to $300 of products.

I know you said you know nothing about makeup, but think about what you can see yourself also using off the dance floor - and there'll be much less resentment for you that way. You won't feel like you spent so much money on something you didn't have to. I agree that it's better to find someone who knows and have them do it for you. You can see what products you like and don't (for example, you may or may not like the way they sit on your skin or how they wear through the day), and maybe take some notes. Makeup isn't something you learn in one sitting! I promise, the process is the fun part :)

I like this thread :dancingbanana:

13. FancyFeet

Sounds like a good call. There are usually vendors that take appointments, but more experienced dancers or local pros might be willing to help you out for less $. Word of mouth is how you find ones that have some skills.

For that next time: I'm not exactly a glamour girl in my everyday life... so when I decided I wanted to do my own make-up for comps, I did some product research (thanks DF!), went to a Sephora for a how-to on the basics (you can use a knowledgeable friend), and watched several YouTube videos for eyes. Then I practiced the look I wanted several times. The first time took me forever, and I did it with the video in front of me. The second time was better, and I timed it to give me an idea of how much time I needed on competition day. If memory serves, it was an hour or so. After years of practice, I can now do a full comp face in 30 minutes if I have to, but I like 45... it's much less stressful that way!

Overall, it took about a month of prep, between the research, shopping, learning and practicing. And yes, it ran to a few hundred - and would have been more had I just walked into a Sephora or MAC and bought everything there. I suggest you do this well out from your next competition or you'll be struggling to fit it in amongst all the other prep activities and financial outlay (hair, skin, nails, tan, practice, dress, etc.).

I do also suggest to dancers that are going to compete fairly regularly that even if you plan to pay someone to do your make-up - and if you don't have the skills or the desire to learn, and only compete once or twice a year, that may be the better option for you - have a basic kit (drugstore is fine) and learn how to do a simple look. It will save you if you are ever in a jam.

14. flying_backwards

Feeling so grateful for the advice.

Competing once or twice a year, and having no use for any make-up outside of a comp or performance, I agree it is more economical and better results to hire a pro to put my face on. I've heard the make-up goes stale or spoils after 6 months. If there were a make-up vendor at this comp I would have booked with them.

I watched a bit of the videos. Make-up is not for sissies nor dilettantes! I recall DF has a thread for pre-comp stress disorder. See ya over there... Really. This is not what I want to focus on this week.

Larinda McRaven likes this.
  15. middy

middy Well-Known Member

Makeup should last longer than that, but yes, if you don't ever wear it outside of comps, then a minimal kit would make more sense than buying everything. Here is a decent estimate of expiration dates: http://www.popsugar.com/beauty/When-Throw-Makeup-Away-Guidelines-Cosmetic-Life-Span-1124422

However, I have a lot of stuff that is older than that and it works fine. The general rule is that powder products last longer than cream/liquid products, as they are less likely to grow bacteria.

s2k likes this.
  16. open_mind

open_mind Member

Here is instructional video on ballet performance makeup with makeup brands names:

I am not sure if the products are available in the US, looks like to me they might be.

17. middy

middy Well-Known Member

Out of curiosity, what did you end up doing for your competition?

18. flying_backwards

Thanks for asking Middy.
    DIY was my only option. In the mirror it looked like a kid drew my face with crayons. But the photos from a distance look ok.

Now that I have a whole shoe box full of the stuff I should practice applying it, and watch more How To videos, before the next time. I suppose applying cosmetics is like any other craft that can be learned. I would just rather spend that time practicing dance.

19. middy

middy Well-Known Member

Fair enough. As long as it looks decent from far away, that's all that matters!

If it helps you feel better at all, like it or not, the whole grooming aspect is totally an integral part of competitive dance, so it's kind of like practicing for that...

Sania and flying_backwards like this.
  20. Sania

Sania Well-Known Member

Taking a poll on eye primer:
    - MAC paint pot?
    - MAC prep and prime?
    - other?

Would love to hear pros and cons and reasons for your preferences!