Ballroom Dance > Competition Makeup

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Ballroom Boutique, Jan 4, 2017.

1. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

I use MAC prep and prime, staying power, non greasy, easy for my needs even with daily or special event make up.

Sania likes this.
  2. Ballroom Boutique

Ballroom Boutique New Member

I love e.l.f. eye primer. My eye shadow looks just as great at the end of the day as when I applied it in the morning. And two bonuses, it's cruelty free and only costs $2!!! NYX is a really great product as well. I use their white base to make my ballroom eye shadow really pop and stand out. They are also cruelty free and costs about $7. I haven't tried any of the high end eye primer but from what I've read, these two that I've mentioned are great dupes for the more expensive brands.

SwayWithMe, Sania and RiseNFall like this.
  3. s2k

s2k Well-Known Member

I use Urban Decay eyeshadow primer and it. is. legit. Long wearing. No creasing - and I use a matte black eyeshadow so no creasing matters to me. Bright colors look on the eye as they do in the palette. There are four to choose from. I use Eden since it's mattifying.

Sidebar: in a pinch, it's a fantastic concealer.

Also, it's easier for me to get to an Ulta than it is to a MAC store, plus I find there's way more to choose from in the UD line than there is for MAC.

SwayWithMe, FancyFeet and Sania like this.
  4. Sania

Sania Well-Known Member

Thanks for the great feedback - I may try the e l f since I'm on a budget for this comp

What about setting spray / makeup fixative - any thoughts?

5. s2k

s2k Well-Known Member

Urban Decay's All-nighter. I use it for every day, and every day I come home and my face looks like I've just put it on. And I've got oily skin. AND I had practice!

It's not cheap, but I've learned by now you get what you pay for.

6. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

Second the awesomeness of the urban decay eye primer. Pricey, but worth it.

I use the NYX white one when I want a colour to really pop.

middy and SwayWithMe like this.
  7. s2k

s2k Well-Known Member

Agreed - this is a good white primer. The matte one, I mean. I didn't care for the white with shimmer.

FancyFeet likes this.
  8. theAnnelis

theAnnelis Active Member

I hear Milani's Make It Last spray is good. I've also heard about the NYX one.

But Urban Decay setting sprays are the only ones I'll use.

Sania likes this.
  9. Dance Mad Helen

Dance Mad Helen Active Member

essence I love stage eye primer is amazing and its like £2. It stays all day and doesnt crease

Sania likes this.
  10. Sania

Sania Well-Known Member

Eyelash glue: Ardell or duo?

Sidebar – I went to Sephora to buy a gold eyeshadow theme for my new costume, and checked out their eyelashes... $17 and up! That's half the price of a bottle of urban decay setting spray!
    I will, of course be buying my eyelashes at target or Sally beauty supply :)

11. Dance Mad Helen

Dance Mad Helen Active Member

If you can get eylure eyelash glue. It comes in a little pot and I love it. If not deffo ardell as duo made my eyes burn

Ballroom Boutique and Sania like this.
  12. theAnnelis

theAnnelis Active Member

Oh, totally. Almost all my eyelashes are drugstore.

Urban Decay setting sprays are on sale on Sephora's web site, btw :D

I like Duo glue. I use the green one because it's got vitamins A, C, and E in it. Also, it's iridescent so when it's ready, it turns blue.

Sania likes this.
  13. Sania

Sania Well-Known Member

I am happy to say that I found a setting spray (UD) an eye primer (UD) and a face primer (can't remember which one but the girl recommended it) in smaller sizes in the beauty on the fly section at Sephora for less than half the cost of full-size – so I will be able to try them out and see which I like, and I'm not as much out of pocket right now

Miss Silly, theAnnelis, s2k and 2 others like this.
  14. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

The "beauty on the fly" section has gotten more of my money than the rest of Sephora, over the years. So great to be able to buy small sizes.

FancyFeet and Sania like this.
  15. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

I didn't know about the "beauty on the fly" section! Thank you! The local Sephora is in a shopping mall that I don't like going to, but it's an irrational prejudice, so now I have a reason to check it out. When I next actually need more makeup....

scullystwin42 and Sania like this.
  16. SwayWithMe

SwayWithMe Well-Known Member

Revlon precision glue is nice, but is hard to find. I like DUO, and recently found a brush-on version similar to the Revlon that works well. I don't like Ardell glue -- it makes my eyes burn.

Also use the cheap Ardell lashes on sale from Sally, although I have a set of rhinestoned lashes from a comp vendor that I love.

Sania likes this.
  17. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Well-Known Member

Hair Spray your face. It's what many do in a pinch... if they don't have setting spray or don't want to buy more product. I know a lot of people who do this (I haven't tried it myself, however).

theAnnelis likes this.
  18. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Well-Known Member

LOL i would have responded sooner, but I was on I-cant-remember-my-login-password hiatus. On a side note, any mods reading this.... THE FORGET PASSWORD FORM DOES NOT WORK

Larinda McRaven likes this.
  19. theAnnelis

theAnnelis Active Member

Me, pre makeup school: hairspray on your face will work. I've done it. It does.

Me after makeup school: *Kevin Hart voice* Noooooo

s2k, scullystwin42 and Miss Silly like this.
  20. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

@DanceMentor

Miss Silly likes this.