Ballroom Dance > Competition Makeup

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Ballroom Boutique, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Well-Known Member

BAAAHAHAHAHAHHAH Honestly, i'm kind of glad to read that because I feel like people are judging me when i buy the 'expensive setting spray' instead of just using hairspray. LOL.

Sania and scullystwin42 like this.
  2. scullystwin42

scullystwin42 Well-Known Member

Sometimes you can buy travel sizes from Ulta and Sephora as well. I do that a lot.

middy likes this.
  3. Dance Mad Helen

Dance Mad Helen Active Member

I use both setting spray and hairspray because I sweat so much at competitions especially when comps are in sports halls with not much ventalation so my makeup pours off me

Miss Silly likes this.
  4. Sania

Sania Well-Known Member

Here's my review of the products acquired for this last competition:

1. Smashbox primer - went on very smooth, seemed to provide a good base.

2. Urban decay Eye primer – seemed good

3. Urban decay setting spray – I forgot to apply this before my single dances, but applied it after my touch up before the evening scholarship. I didn't really get to put it to the test since I only had one round of singles and one scholarship at this competition. Will report back upon further experience

4. A huge shout out to Sephora waterproof eyeliner, the liquid in the small bottle with the brush. Absolutely the easiest to apply eyeliner I have ever used

5. Another huge shout out to Sephora lip stain – comes in 40 colors and does really stay on for hours and hours

6. I believe I have mentioned before that Sephora eyeshadows are very easy to work with

Also happy to say that I had not lost my touch with applying false eyelashes – I haven't put them on an 11 years but they went right on. Thanks to my make up session with Stefan Golubovic a year ago, I had the courage to buy the really long ones and they looked good

middy and theAnnelis like this.
  5. Sania

Sania Well-Known Member

One more note about false eyelashes: I went to Sally beauty supply, and they were selling a five pack of Ardell lashes for $28, which just seemed outrageous to me.

Two doors up in the strip center, the local grocery store had the same five pack for nine dollars. Buyer beware :)

middy likes this.
  6. theAnnelis

theAnnelis Active Member

Yaaaaaaasssssssss @Sania, that's a list of failsafes!!!

One more setting spray tip from me to everyone (other than, ya know, HAVE SOME): Spray your face and let it dry in between every layer of makeup you apply. I mean, the UD sprays are already amazing, and it sounds like a lot to remember, but that's something I think dancers should all do.

Also, I think people in general (especially with the advent of these shady YouTube beauty gurus) spend way too much on eyelashes. Some of the best lashes I've ever used have been $2 ones from Duane Reade (Elite Lashes and Kiss are the brands, if anyone's ever used them), yet I've seen people buying $35 ones because they're "designer" and/or "reusable". News flash kiddlies, you can also reuse your $4 Ardell lashes if you don't toss them :confused::rolleyes:

middy, Sania and jiwinco like this.
  7. middy

middy Well-Known Member

I re-use them until them get too gross/mangled or I get too lazy to clean them off.

SwayWithMe and theAnnelis like this.
  8. flying_backwards

flying_backwards Active Member

Today, Saturday July 29, is "National Lipstick Day, and to celebrate, MAC Cosmetics is offering customers a free full-size lipstick — no strings attached."
    "No purchase is necessary, and customers can select their color, multiple beauty websites reported. Customers planning on taking advantage of the promotion are asked to contact their local store for more details." Quotes from KTLA.
    To get a link, google MAC free lipstick. Hope that is of interest. No, I'm not a lipstick seller! Several have mentioned MAC so I thought they'd want to know. I'm not even going to bother to get one since my next comp is not til Nov., assuming I find a new partner, so it would go bad before then.

9. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Well-Known Member

Anyone use Lipsense lipsticks? I realize they have been around for a while, but seems to be having a resurgence- everyone is selling them

10. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Well-Known Member

I have. Not at a comp yet, just 'around' to give it a try.

I bought this super bright red. When i first put it on, it almost felt like it was mildly stinging. The instructions say to do three coats, waiting a few seconds in between for it to dry. Then I put their clear stuff on as a top coat.

I have mixed feelings. It's true that the staying power is quite amazing. There wasn't a big lipstick mess on my water bottle. It did come off a *tiny* bit on a few things, but really not much at all. It's probably more that gooey top coat that's creating tiny bits of transfer more than anything. About 4-5 hours in, you could see that the lipstick had worn away from the area (let's see if i can describe this LOL) where my mouth closes together... where it's basically wet all the time just from your mouth (LOL?). That, of course, would be much less obvious with less bright colours. I don't know what happens if you don't use the top clear coat since I haven't given that a try yet. Maybe you will feel a bit dry. But maybe if you wanted a more matt look, you don't need the top coat. Or you could try using your fave chapstick as top coat perhaps.

What I didn't like was the taste. It just has a funny, wierd taste. The second/third times i tried it, i didn't notice the stinging as much and i guess you get used to the taste a little.

The lipstick towards the outer lip (lipliner area) will last well into the next day if you don't take it off. I did not buy their remover, but didn't have too many problems getting it off with my regular makeup remover.

I will likely use it for comp. I don't often wear lipstick and usually at comps i put it on at the last minute (since i don't like it getting all over my water bottle or coffee) and then consequently i often forget to put lipstick on. So this helps solve that problem. If you put it on in the morning and competed all day, you likely will need to touch it up partway through the day.

The current lipstick i use which i like is Makeup forever Aqua rouge, but that does transfer and doesn't last as long.

I read some reviews with lipsense from people who must wear it regularly that it starts to really dry out your lips. I didn't find this from 'single-use sessions' like how i wear it.

11. scullystwin42

scullystwin42 Well-Known Member

I'm not a fan of it - i don't like the colors or how it ends up looking after a while, but I know some competitors use it. I'd rather use a good liquid lipstick from Anastasia Beverly Hills, or one of the new Smashbox ones. Too Faced Melted lipsticks are also nice. Better colors, more transfer-proof than regular lipsticks. not so drying.

12. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

I bought some for everyday wear. For work, I apply in the morning, and touch up at lunch. It seems to go the distance until I go home. One application also gets me through a Friday night social dance.

Watch the colors if you buy, preferably test them out. I bought one with the innocuous name "Sheer Berry", which turned out to be a really dark berry. "Caramel Apple" seems to work the best for me.

I don't use the product every day. I also use a sugar lip scrub, and a moisturizing lip balm otherwise. So dry lips are a non issue, at least so far.

13. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

I agree, some of the colors are awful.

14. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

I use them, and have for about 17 years. Well, only two colors. Bu-red when I need a full on red (without a tinge of orange, pink, or brown). Mostly for competition, judging, or show settings. A little dark red or burgandy lip liner with this makes for a powerful color and defined edge. My dress sponsors always thanked me for never getting lipstick smears on their gowns. And I use praline-rose for a neutral when I bother to need lip color in a non-professional setting. . And for that I put my own shimmer gloss over it.

It seems to come and go in giant waves in the ballroom world. And when it disappears, as it will again in a year or so, and friends stop selling it, I just go get it on ebay.

I was surprised a few weeks ago when a non-dance friend of mine started selling it. This is the first I have noticed someone I know trying to market outside of ballroom. I'll buy from her right now because she is local and because I know she is going to get stuck with a very large inventory when the fad dies down again.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
    scullystwin42 and Purr like this.
  15. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Well-Known Member

I found that several hospital staff are selling Lipsense, so I did not find it in ballroom first. Maybe I completely missed it in the dance world. It seems to be very popular right now- people are having FB parties etc. I bought a few colors. I agree that the colors can be hit or miss. So far my favorite is Beige Champagne for everyday use. I tried Bella which is a fav among the nursing staff- but it just looks muddy on me. I also tried Dark Pink which is lighter than I thought it would be and Mulled Wine which is a dark berry. I also tried First Love. I would like a punchy fuchsia for comps, but i can't find the right shade in Lipsense So I'm sticking to Urban Decay Vice Lipsticks as well as Make Up for Ever.
    I apply 3 coats and let dry between each. I think the gloss is needed to seal the color. There is a tingly feeling when the first coat is applied. I have had to use their Oops remover as regular make up remover does not remove it well. I too find it drying to the lips. I will probably just use the nude Beige Champagne for everyday use. It lasts all day so don't have to think about touch ups.

16. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

I bought mine from a vendor at the downtown farmer's market. She said she works downtown also, and if I need anything she could walk it to where I work.

I use Garnier micellar water to remove Lipsense, and it seems to work fine.

17. Sania

Sania Well-Known Member

MAC and Sephora also have long lasting lip stains.

18. theAnnelis

theAnnelis Active Member

Sephora's Cream Lip Stains are INCREDIBLE; they also just added 27 new shades. And MAC's liquid lipsticks stay on forever. Lime Crime's Velvetines do too, but that company is super sketchy.

Sania likes this.