Country? Western?

Discussion in 'Country and Western' started by Bashstkid, Dec 3, 2008.

1. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

I don't think I wrote about this yet...

Group in Portland playing Western Swing calling themselves the Portland Playboys.
    Last night they did C Jam Blues, Cherokee, Freight Train Boogie, etc.
    Pete Krebs, who now has a beard (all the guys wear Western wear, including hats). He and the bass player (no drummer, put down a great beat that's more felt than heard) I think that's called a rhythm section.

First 3 minutes of the video apply. I'm a bit late to the party.

There are a bunch of people doing "swing" and a pretty good number of folks doing Balboa. I'm geussing the dancing is pretty close to what you would have seen back in the 40s and 50s when outfits like Bob Wills and His Texas Playboys, and Spade Cooley's band played here.

2. agmtb

agmtb New Member

Western music rarely has drums, like bluegrass, so dancing is often to the bass and not the drummer. Country rarely yodels. Still of these types of music I prefer progressive bluegrass like Leftover Salmon. They are the best bluegrass band to dance to (to me) because they are so hot, diverse and have a drummer.

3. Steve Pastor

Went out to hear the Barn Door Slammers, another!!! Western Swing band here in Portland.
    Looks like they play about once a month at the same venue as Pete Krebs and the Portland Playboys.
    Smallish crowd, but I got in some East Coast, West Coast, and even a two step (where everyone dancing is doing some type of swing.
    I'll be back.

4. Steve Pastor

Checked out yet another Western Swing band last evening. Not happy with the drummer, and often sat outside the "ballroom," but I had some good dances. The crowd was pretty thin on the dance floor there for a while, which meant the outside of the floor was open for two stepping. At one point they even "called" a two step. The inner city Portland crowd doesn't do two step, but I found a three women who gladly two stepped with me. The one gal even said she was glad to see someone who COULD two step. Did a very satisfying West Coast with her, also.
    Is it the music, or the different roles I find myself in that has me dancing more at Secret Society than Bushwhackers?
    At one point the band leader asked the crowd if they liked "popular" country music. The reply was a definite, NO!

5. JoeB

JoeB Active Member

Actually, proper hat etiquette allows for it to stay on in "common areas" like lobbies and hallways. IMO, applying this to somewhere like Billy Bob's would mean keeping it on in most of the place, but taking it off at a table or when at a bar longer than just to buy a drink and walk away.

Then you might want to skip a lot of the small-to-medium places. Electric Cowboy and Cowboy's Red River were pretty much nothing but fast two step the last few times I was there, and Red River has the extra bar in the middle of the dance floor, so you can't even get out of the way to swing.

6. JoeB

JoeB Active Member

Last time I looked up everything that's called "two step," I'm pretty sure cleaning your ears with a car key while sitting down was somewhere among the 15th page of activities that qualify for the name.

7. Steve Pastor

Another good evening dancing to the Portland Playboys. I couldn't get off the ground trying to do a polka to a fast one (kind of a major fail), but it worked well as a fast two step (same rhythm as nite club, but danced progressively - I just couldn't get the hop in there and stay with the music) Turns out that gal I danced with two weeks ago is Polish, is from Michigan, and asked me if I knew someone I work with. Might have to brush up on my polka. Another great WCS, this time a really slow one.
    A regular told me several times that the dancers there were swing dancers and didn't know about the progressive dances like two step. I told him, "they can learn." At one point there were three couples two steppin' around the outside of the floor. Holy cats, did I actually start something?

JoeB likes this.
  8. JoeB

JoeB Active Member

I'd be happy just to see more swing at the singles dances. I think the most two steppers we've had was two couples at a time, and that only because one lead was really good at plowing line dancers out of the way while protecting his follow, and the other couple just stayed close enough to use the gaps he made.

9. snapdancer

snapdancer Well-Known Member

As much as I detest line dancing, if the floor is filled with line dancers, they have the right of way. Maybe someone will pound some sense into him.

10. JoeB

JoeB Active Member

They tend to form one line all the way across the floor, blocking it for everybody, when 2-3 lines would leave a very good outer lane clear. This has been brought up a few times, and announcements of basic dance floor etiquette were ineffective. At one point, it was so bad that there were even clumps of people standing around on the dance floor, just chatting. The one DJ who had the guts to speak up finally gave up, unfortunately.

11. QuickQuickSlow

QuickQuickSlow New Member

12. snapdancer

At least there was some attempt to correct the situation. More than happens at some places.

13. Steve Pastor

Secret Society, where the Western Swing groups play, doesn't have any line dancers.

At Bushwhackers in Tualatin, where I've danced for many years now, the mantra is share the floor. (It can get interesting at times.)

The Ranch in Anaheim has a strict one dance on the floor at a time policy.

When in Rome...

14. snapdancer

They're probably careful about the music they play, avoiding ambiguous rhythms. I.E. songs that people might do multiple types of dances to.

A studio I go to had a song that was either a foxtrot or a West Coast. The floor is barely large enough to have a center, fits maybe 3 couples if they align their slots in parallel with the long wall. That song did not get played more than twice before it was removed from the play list.

15. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

I was dancing my teacher one night at a practice party, the floor was crowded, and we were doing foxtrot. There was a road jam in front of us and he very smoothly moved us into the center, switched to WCS for a bit, then switched back to foxtrot when it was clear again. :)

JoeB likes this.
  16. snapdancer

I've also done a switch mid-dance. Once I thought I'd try a lady out with the fox trot, she wasn't so good at that so I switched to the West Coast which she was better at and finished the dance. Another time doing a demo for a friend's non-dancing friends I gave them a two-fer.

RiseNFall likes this.
  17. JoeB

JoeB Active Member

How do they manage that? IQ test at the door?

18. Steve Pastor

uneducated city folks

Cripes, no one was even dancing two step.

19. Steve Pastor

Is there a line dance to C Jam Blues?

Course the Playboys didn't play it exactly like that...

How about Cherokee or Freight Train Boogie?