Ballroom Dance > Custom dress.....

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by debmc, Jan 7, 2017.

1. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I just had a beautiful custom dress made from a prominent designer and the dress is stunning...but not on me! I approved the sketch ( I thought it would look great), paid for it, thought it looked gorgeous in the box, but when I tried it on it just doesn't look good on me. What are my options?

2. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Well-Known Member

My experience with custom dresses is that after the color, fabric and design is decided, the designer sends me an unstoned, unfinished dress for a fitting. At that time, I can adjust the length and make any other alterations. If the dress does not look good, changes can be made as it's unstoned. As I do not live near the designer, I send her a video of me trying on my dress. This helps her to see what needs to be adjusted. So before I get my finished dress, I have a pretty good idea how it will look on me. Would you be able to have her make some changes? What did you not like specifically, and could she adjust the design? As a last resort, would she be willing to design another dress for you and give you credit? Most designers are able to move their inventory and sell dresses - however, as it's custom designed to your measurements, that may not work. What an unfortunate situation. I hope others have some suggestions.

debmc and s2k like this.
  3. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I will meet up with the designer at a future comp and discuss. It's a gorgeous dress, but not for my body type/age, but on the sketch I didn't fully envision what it would look like on me. i usually go with a local designer and can have many try ons and fittings as you've described. I'm hoping there will be a solution!!

4. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Well-Known Member

Keeping fingers crossed for you

debmc likes this.
  5. rels77

rels77 Active Member

Is it too revealing? too much skin? too short? Can you add nude mesh? change the skirt? do some sort of alteration?

debmc and s2k like this.
  6. singndance

singndance Well-Known Member

This happened to me once. The sketch looked fabulous, but the spores looked awful on me. My studio owner/female pro had several conversations with the designer and sent pictures, explaining what we wanted reworked on this dress. The designer removed the skirt and remade it in a different color, style and fabric. I was thankfully not charged extra for any of this. I was very grateful for the help of my studio owner, who knew the designer well. I hope you can get this dress redone to your satisfaction. Good luck!

debmc likes this.
  7. MaggieMoves

MaggieMoves Well-Known Member

This is a tough one... I've had the same happen to me, and I ended up reselling it to a friend at a loss that absolutely loved it.

Talk to the designer first if you can get some things redone on it, and if not I would look into reselling it. This kind of situation stinks! I'm sorry.

debmc likes this.
  8. IndyLady

IndyLady Well-Known Member

I know it's too late for this particular instance, but for possible future use:

When I am shopping online and find a dance dress or outfit I am interested in, I will often copy the picture of it (screen shot if necessary and crop) into a spreadsheet or Word doc, where I already have a headshot of myself (usually something cropped from a recent existing photo) and then put my head on top of the dress to get an approximation of how it will look. May require some finagling and it's definitely not perfect since it's not my body from the neck down, but it works remarkably well at helping me to gauge if the dress is likely to be flattering on me. I've used it to rule out some things that looked good on the site but didn't really mesh with my face, and so far the ones that looked promising even in this seemingly strange Frankenstein exercise have worked out. This could also be doable in person if you print out a copy of your headshot. Again, very "quick and dirty" back-of-the-napkin type approach, but it's worth a try.

theAnnelis likes this.