General Dance Discussion > Dance Audiobooks

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by DanceMentor, Mar 6, 2017.

1. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

I'm sure I am not the only one here that likes to use free time to learn new things. Audio books are great because you can learn a few things while you are driving or about to go to sleep, etc. But are there any good dance audio books? I was thinking maybe there is one that teaches the ballet terms, or discusses dance technique. Have you encountered anything like this?

2. open_mind

open_mind Member

When I saw this post, I thought: what a silly idea, dance audio books. But then I remembered the first workshop I attended given by a very well-known world championship-level ballroom dancer. The tickets were sold out, but I managed to get one. I even brought a partner with me who was just a guy from the studio whom I barely knew. I was so excited. I was prepared to dance and bought a new outfit. Yeah. It was not what I expected. The 45 min of the lecture was spent on very general discussion how one should always dance with music and on what count the rise happens in waltz. No demonstration and no dancing.
    I don't know, maybe I would get something of that lecture now, many years later, but my point is that high-level dancers who routinely give lectures as dance workshops should probably jump onto this business opportunity on dance audio books, because that lecture was a good example of what I could have listened in my car on the way to work, probably for much less expense for me and a much higher profit for them if they sold the book to the same size crowd.

3. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

Yes, and I think it's usually Audio Only may not be something that would be very valuable when talking about dancing. I was just wondering if there was anything that came to mind that was on the market. I suppose there are going to be some biographies of Martha Graham or Fred Astaire or that sort of thing.

4. ivyvaine23

ivyvaine23 New Member

Is there really something like dance audio books? have you guys found anything? I'd be interested in that as well. Lectures and dance workshops are a pretty cool thing to have for aspiring dancers, in my opinion! I just love to listen to them talk about their experiences as dancers and share their knowledge.