General Dance Discussion > Dance Meetup Groups

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by DanceMentor, Mar 12, 2017.

1. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

While I have been invited to a variety of Meetup.com events over the years, not just dance, I have only actually been to one, and that was with a direct invite. I didn't use the meetup.com site. Have you ever used meetup.com? What was it like?

2. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

I didn't originate the MU, but I did go to one dance event several years ago. Turnout was low - maybe 6-8 ppl.

Never bothered with it after that, so things might be quite different now.

3. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

the meet-up group that I attended to had about 10 people. But this one was at a restaurant.

4. snapdancer

snapdancer Well-Known Member

I doubt that any two meetup groups are the same. One of the local meetup groups just invites people to existing events offered by studio and offers a bit of social support. A couple of thousand people on their membership roll, maybe a dozen will show up at any event.

5. Eldoras

Eldoras New Member

Just attended one haha... is $40 for 4 lesson consider cheap?
    also RSVPed from meet-up.

6. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

That would be for group classes and yes, it's on the low end IME.

7. There was a MeetUp here for social ballroom that got handed over to me when the organizer tired of paying the subscription. I ran it for a year then recently deleted it because it was not worth the cost and nobody wanted to take it over from me. Many just used it as an auto-reminder for the regular events. There are cheaper ways to send out messages. I notice some MeetUp groups charge dues. We did not.

8. MaggieMoves

MaggieMoves Well-Known Member

Most of the MeetUp events I've been to are tied directly to an event. I went to one last night without knowing it as a normal ballroom social was much more packed that usual.

9. Eldoras

Eldoras New Member

Yes, its a group class...haha call DanceUnderTheChandelier
    quite a good environment...but am open to other place...any recommendation?