Dance Articles > Dance Shoes and Your Feet

Discussion in 'Dance Articles' started by SDsalsaguy, Oct 7, 2003.

1. Strictly Ballroom

Strictly Ballroom New Member

I am with KN. We dance for recreation and not as often as I would like! I don't have an arch problem, but do suffer some cramping the next day If I'm not careful. Hey, no pointing those toes! Pain immedietly.

2. jennyisdancing

jennyisdancing Active Member

Hm, I have flat feet too, and I find that heels are helpful because they essentially create an supportive arch in the shape of your foot when you wear them. Not real high heels are necessary, just up to 2 inches as you say. My feet and legs actually get more tired when I wear flats or sneakers (generally, not just for dancing). I've tried various styles of dance sneakers too, and they all make my feet hurt, probably because they are designed for high arches and so they don't fit me properly.

3. jerseydancer

jerseydancer Active Member

I have flat feet. And same problem here, I get more tired from shoes with no heels. The arch support inserts halep a little, but I cannot use them when dancing.

4. waltzgirl

waltzgirl Active Member

I know people who dance using orthotics in their dance shoes, so it can be done. One woman I know said her dancing immediately became much better when she started wearing the orthotics because it corrected a lot of poor foot mechanics that were harming her dancing.

5. Albanaich

Albanaich New Member

Feet

I'd love to know what it is exactly about foot structure that is so important in dance.

My daughter (who has similar feet to me) was able to get up on pointe without any training whatsoever while her friends, who had spent years doing ballet training found it a struggle.

Explanations?

6. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

Simple answer...... ankle strength .

Ballroom dancers spend yrs developing that aspect of dance...

A world famous coach once noted.. the most important aspect of what you do "on" the floor, will be an investment in the best pair of shoes you can afford .

Salsa / Mambo,etc., unlike some of the Ballroom dances, has little if any " rise and fall ", so.. less extreme ankle use is necessary from that perspective .

7. basicarita

basicarita Member

This is a great and informative article, with new information even for those of us who've been doing it awhile. Thanks so much! :D

8. CCdance

CCdance Active Member

the link is not working...

9. Léa1234

Léa1234 New Member

In my dance, jazz dance is mostly dance barefoot or with small Socks to slide better.

10. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

Ray rose website for shoes

Latino2007 likes this.
  11. earline

earline Member

I have flat feet too and I read a post somewhere that said there are thin gel sole for dancer's with flat feet. Have you hear of it?