Swing Discussion Boards > Dancing with Acrylic Nails

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by Lauren Veary, Oct 13, 2017.

1. Lauren Veary

Lauren Veary New Member

I really want to start attending beginner swing classes but have acrylic nails. Will they be a problem?

2. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Try this.
    Go to your first lesson and ask your partners what they are feeling and whether or not it's a problem.
    And, welcome to the Forum.

RiseNFall likes this.
  3. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum Lauren.

Acrylic nails is one of the things that make me hesitant to ask a lady to dance when I go out social dancing...I don't know how long yours are. However, I usually feel like I can't do all the things I want to do with a lady's hands if she has nails like that. I feel like I have to be careful and thoughtful and tentative...and those are things I don't want to be when I'm social dancing.

Your mileage may vary.

4. flying_backwards

flying_backwards Active Member

Welcome Lauren. I realize you want to dance swing. Just know that if your nails interfere with swing, there is another style called "Standard" here in the US, or just called "Ballroom" elsewhere where your hands do not move and you can show off your beautiful manicure.

5. Xelebes

Xelebes Member

Monkey-hook hand position will be a problem. But a country hand position will be fine. Just be sure to be firm with the teacher who will insist on monkey-hooks that it might not be the best position.

*Monkey-hook is the position where the hands hook together with the fingers pointing to the other's palms.