Dancing with different instructors

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Sooziq, Dec 2, 2016.

1. anntennis

anntennis Active Member

It is absolutely normal to take lessons with as many instructors as YOU want, but it has to be your decision.

I would be extremely upset as you are.

If it is not the only studio where you live, I would ask for my money back and start searching for other alternatives, perhaps, independent instructor of YOUR choice.

It could be wording in your lesson package that they can switch instructors, though.

Check that first. If the studio owner is a true professional, I hope he would not hold you to that , and will return the money. It is not a good atmosphere.

You are paying for private lessons. It has to be your choice.

I used to pay for package in NYC large studio, but I only wanted to dance with one specific instructor. Only once, when my teacher could not make it, I was offered a lesson with another instructor for half price. (My teacher could not make it that day, and I already was on my way to the studio).

2. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Well-Known Member

Having two instructors can go wrong as I've discovered. A year ago, I casually began taking lessons with a second instructor. My plan was to add to what I had, and hopefully improve my dancing. I had in no way planned to give up my current instructor, who I've been with for 4 years and is the best fit for me. This was clearly conveyed to the second instructor. Second instructor seemed like a nice guy who had a lot to offer. Things started heading south pretty quickly. Second instructor began trying to take over my dance time. He wanted me to commit to comps with him. He became petulant when I mentioned that was not what I had intended. He also kept trying to manipulate me by saying he had other students, from whom he was taking time away to dance with me. This is due to distance involved- I told him it's his choice how he makes time for all his students. If he feels traveling to lessons for me is not worth it, he was not obligated to continue to do so. We only had a handful of lessons, but the whole thing has become a mess. I finally sent him an email saying it won't work for us, and thanked him for his time, wished him well etc....it was a pretty clear email. After 2 weeks, he texted me to say that he will be at a studio nearby, and I could drop by if I like, to dance or to talk. I did not go. ... this story is just to show how it can also go wrong when one tries to have 2 instructors.

3. snapdancer

snapdancer Well-Known Member

My takeaway was different. I think that this issue was more about instructor #2 than having two instructors at a time. Sounds like instructor #2 is a control freak and you would have issues even if he were your only instructor.

A friend of mine is a showcase girl. Last month she performed 3 showcases at an event with 3 different instructors. At the same event. I'm not hearing any reports of conflict. It can work.

IndyLady and s2k like this.
  4. IndyLady

IndyLady Well-Known Member

Agree with this. I'm not the friend in question here (to the best of my knowledge), but same for me re: bolded - I performed routines (5 total) with 3 different instructors at the most recent Showcase. There was no issue between them. Of course, they were all at the same studio and it is the norm at my studio to have two instructors, so the culture was not inherently conducive to conflict.

5. snapdancer

snapdancer Well-Known Member

I should add that all 3 of the instructors in my example were independent instructors, two of whom teach out of the same studio.

IndyLady likes this.
  6. anntennis

anntennis Active Member

I used to perform many showcases at the different studios with three independent teachers, and one "studio" teacher.
    All routines were different. The teachers knew about each other and just concentrated on my dancing with them.
    As far as I know there were not any conflicts.

7. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

wrt sbrn's situation: that sounds more to me like #2 thought he had a chance to become #1...because while I think many are fine with being #2, I don't know of many who would travel to a student for whom they are number 2 unless they thought there was a chance of competing or they had a lot of debt...sounds to me like he wanted to see how likely she was to make him number one by pressuring her and he lost the bet and/or just felt like if she wasn't going to compete, she wasn't worth the trip