General Dance Discussion > Do you ever take Advil before dancing?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by DanceMentor, Mar 16, 2017.

1. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

I have for at least 3 decades. All due to my baby boy not being able to breakdown pills.

Larinda McRaven likes this.
  2. raindance

raindance Well-Known Member

I think if this happens on a regular basis, it might be a good idea to re-evaluate your training/practice schedule. Ideally, you should dance a pretty consistent amount week to week and month to month. Then there is no big need to ramp up and dance much more often just before an event. Or, if you need to ramp up the intensity, do it gradually so your body has time to adjust. In fact, if you can ease off on intensity just a bit before a big event, you may have more energy (and less pain) for the competition.

So avoiding putting yourself in positions where you know you are going to overwork and bother your knees (or other joints) is a good plan if possible. I realize it's not always possible for a variety of reasons. But I think it's worth thinking about whether you can strategically avoid some of the problems.

Loki, Requiem and RiseNFall like this.
  3. open_mind

open_mind Member

Omen

4. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Like Damien?

open_mind likes this.
  5. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Like shabbat, given the context.

6. Mia

Mia Member

I think to a certain extent, dancers, much like athletes in other sports, have a very good understanding of our own body. We know to a certain extent, the limits of how far we can exert ourselves and I'm sure there are many of you who like to be able to push our boundaries and have sustained an injury (sprains, joints, back are what comes to mind most often) and because we prefer to be on the dancefloor instead of the sidelines, so I suspect many dancers have on occasion taken an Advil before dancing when the need arises.

On that note, a good question would be, how many people here have started a dance, want to keep going and took an Advil to allow that to happen?

7. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

I do know several dancers who just will not take down time or if they do, it's quite minimal even after giving birth, having surgery, etc. I appreciate their zeal, but with my knee being on the iffy side of being scoped, I have to wonder.

8. IndyLady

IndyLady Well-Known Member

That would have to be some pretty powerful "Advil" to work quickly enough to get you back dancing so soon....

We live in a culture that does not properly respect or appreciate rest and recuperation, which is unfortunate. I often think that the only reason some people jump back into stuff as quickly as humanly possible is to be able to say they did it. I was astounded at the number of people who said things like, "oh, you'll be back dancing the next day!" or "Jane popped out her baby and was competing the next week" when I was pregnant. I was like, uh, we will see how things go. This business of constantly driving oneself to the edge and past.... if you just run your body down sooner rather than later, was it worth it?

9. Mia

Mia Member

10. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I don't recommend dancing through an injury using pain meds to mask symptoms but I can see the validity in taking an NSAID or Tylenol to help with the usual competition soreness of multiple heats.