Tango Argentino > Do you have a favorite tango: overall or by orquestra?

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by tangomaniac, Nov 17, 2013.

1. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

La Cantina of course

Recently worked on a mid 50s Casal/Beron TK-label tanda and fell at once in love with that title. I´m simply susceptible for beautiful melodies.

2. tangomaniac

tangomaniac Active Member

This is my favorite milonga. The beginning lifts the spirit more than any other I know.

Estampa de varón D’Arienzo-Echagüe

Despite what you hear, it's not fast. You have to understand the difference between notes and beats.

dchester, LadyLeader and Steve Pastor like this.
  3. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

I've danced to that one many times. I like it, too.

4. caysersose

caysersose New Member

as to tangos I love "manana ire temprano" as sung by Javier dicierco
    milongas there is no beating "milonga de mis tiempo" by canaro

5. Fred&Lily

Fred&Lily New Member

One of my favorite songs is "To Tango Tis Nefelis" sung by Haris Alexiou and written by Canadian Loreena McKennitt

Favorite Vals is " Todo Lo Que Tu Eres" by Hugo Rivas

6. tangomaniac

Favorite Donato: Sin Sabor

7. tangomaniac

Favorite Firpo tango: Don Esteban

8. tangomaniac

Though it's not my favorite Pugliese, why has it disappeared from playlists? It used to be a played a lot.

(I'm amazed it's not on any of my CDs.)

La Tupungatina

dchester likes this.
  9. koinzell

koinzell Active Member

This thread made me curious, lol...

[​IMG]

My favorite right now is Canaro's Ciego, but next week it will probably be something else :D

10. tangomaniac

Favorite Canaro:
    Alma En Pena

11. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

La Tupungatina - Bill Alsup used to play this fairly regularly. I don't spend enough time at the practica to know if he still plays it. I enjoy the changing dynamic in the song, especially the parts that surge, best enjoyed with a partner who knows how respond to that with a varying resistance.

Alma En Pena - Another one I'm quite familiar with thanks to Bill.

12. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

I play this one. I think the "problem" with Pugliese, is that there are so many good ones, that it can take some time before you get back around to some of them.

13. tangomaniac

Favorite Biagi
    La Maleva

14. Maryg

Maryg New Member

Hi, I'm a beginner to tango and dance for that matter. I love the golden age music of the Argentine orchestras but I came across this piece that struck me. Written in the 30s before Hitler invaded Poland. The description says it was one of the most popular tangos in Poland in the 30s and the composer died in the Warsaw ghetto. What do you think? True tango? Or something else?

I am new to the forum and can't post a link per the moderators. I think you can find the piece on YouTube if you search on "old polish tango in polish and Hebrew: Graj"

15. Reuven Thetanguero

Reuven Thetanguero Active Member

I presume you are referring to this piece:

It is a beautiful melody and singing, and it's not the only Polish Tango, check Mieczysław Fogg on Youtube.com. I like in particular Tangomilonga, but if you are in the US you can not play it. Use VPN to change your IP address to another country (works in Poland).
    Having said that, those European Tangos, are "true", but for dancing they are not a substitute to the Golden Age era music.

16. tangomaniac

It sounds like an American style tango. I hear, slow-slow-quick-quick-slow which repeats over and over. Argentine tango doesn't have a repetitive cadence.

17. Maryg

Maryg New Member

That link is the one I was referring to. Regarding the American style tango comment, I agree i think the song has a repetitive cadence. The historical context of the song was interesting.

I also like Loca de amor by Biagi: see "Argentine Tango lovers of Long Island" on YouTube, Beautiful performance too. Edit: La Maleva in previous post is lovely.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
  18. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Hi Maryg, welcome to DF!

Perhaps you haven't got the original. ssqqs by the way isn't a bad thingy. It´s also characteristic for Guardia Nueva tango. Tango was a cross atlantic phenomenon, and the argentines were the junior partner in the tango world, back then.

Adam Aston & Orkiestra Syrena, Odeon 1935

19. Gssh

Gssh Well-Known Member

Hearing this one at the milonga reminded me that i really enjoy a nice murder ballad from time to time. I am not quite sure if it is one of my favourite tangos, but it is one of my favourites to encounter at a milonga.

opendoor likes this.
  20. Maryg

Maryg New Member

Open door- thank you for posting a link to the original recording. Regarding Guardia Nueva and viejo - does that term only refer to Argentine composers and orchestras or would that polish tango be considered guardia nuevo?