Ballroom Dance > Do you order dancewear and shoes from overseas?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by DanceMentor, Jan 26, 2017.

1. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

You don't appear to be someone here posting for the purpose of advertising. You are welcome to give the name of the company if you like.

raindance likes this.
  2. flying_backwards

flying_backwards Active Member

American Classic Ballroom

raindance and j_alexandra like this.
  3. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

wow. took a look at their website. thanks!

4. NURDRMS

NURDRMS Well-Known Member

I order my shoes directly from the Ray Rose website and have them shipped direct to me.

Dancing Irishman likes this.
  5. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

Samesies - they're so pleasant to work with, too - unfortunately I'm familiar because I never remember to tell my CC company "hey I'm about to buy stuff from England now" and RR always ends up letting me know the transaction was declined.

6. j_alexandra

Thanks for the heads-up about latinodances.com.

HOLY COW

I ordered a gown from them, based on your recommendation. Came in record time, quality far above what I expected, and great customer service, as you note. Also, yes, not Chrisanne fabrics. Not an issue for me. I'm ridiculously thrilled with this gown. Would never have tried latinodances without your recommendation. Thank you!

Sania and scullystwin42 like this.
  7. scullystwin42

scullystwin42 Well-Known Member

I'm so happy! I need a new rhythm dress, and there is a Randall I have my eye on, but i highly doubt i'll be able to offload the dresses i have (SEE MY AD IN THE ADS, lol), so i think i'll go back to latinodances.

8. azntwice

azntwice Member

for everyone who has bought things from overseas, why is it that sometimes you get charged a customs tariff and sometimes you don't? i bought a costume from a woman in london and got hit with a huge customs bill, but i've bought other costumes/shoes from england with no customs bill. do some vendors pre-pay the tariff for you?

9. jiwinco

jiwinco Active Member

They can prepay the tariffs or you can ask them to send them as gifts. If you buy from a private person request that it is shipped as a gift to get around those fees.

10. j_alexandra

I don't know how it works. I know that when I ship overseas, I mark items "gift" and that keeps them from getting smacked with duty.

11. DanceMentor

I am very glad to hear that you had this experience. Maybe I will ask that company if they are interested in advertising on Dance Forums. It seems there are some customers waiting for them.

scullystwin42 likes this.
  12. scullystwin42

The white feather dress I have for sale in the Dance Ads was made by latinodances. I sent a video of a dress i saw on SYTYCD and asked them to make something similar. I got it for a tenth of the price that I would have paid from a US designer, and it's stunning. I hate to part with it. (although, given the resale market, it looks like i won't be anytime soon, sigh.)

13. DanceMentor

Well, I saw that one. It looks very nice. I see you are sale price here on the dance forums. I would be curious to know the retail price you paid, but you may not want to disclose that.

14. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Well-Known Member

It's the alignment of the stars. HAhahah j/k

As someone who's an avid online shopper in Canada, i've noticed that when I receive packages from other countries, it is LESS LIKELY to get dinged at customs when the shipping is slower. Anything expedited always incurs fees. Cheaper shipping options also seem to be less likely to accumulate all the extra charges (like using regular post over Fedex, for example).

DanceMentor likes this.
  15. scullystwin42

I don'
    eh, I don't mind. I paid $500, then another $75 onshore for some additional tailoring - adding a strap on the back and the slit in the back of the skirt. I think i'm offering it up for less than that.

DanceMentor likes this.
  16. ivyvaine23

ivyvaine23 New Member

When I was still dancing, I also used to order from Supadance and I've had nothing but good experiences with it! :) Definitely recommend this site.

17. raindance

raindance Well-Known Member

Did you have them include any stoning? Are the "high quality stones" they mention on the website decent quality??

scullystwin42 likes this.
  18. scullystwin42

I recommend paying the extra for the preciosa stones. I think the "high quality" is still just Korean stones - i had an earlier dress from them that had korean stones. They weren't bad, but the preciosa is still worth it. I requested swarovski on one of my dresses, and they accommodated that.

raindance likes this.
  19. scullystwin42

OMG ALL THIS DRESS TALK MAKES ME WANT A NEW DRESS. wish I could offload the ones that i'm currently selling (shameless plug: go check dance ads!)

Miss Silly likes this.
  20. j_alexandra

I bought the Preciosa stones, which is what I usually use anyway.

raindance likes this.