Dancers Anonymous > Do you play a musical instrument?

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by DanceMentor, Mar 14, 2016.

1. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

I played flute in high school and also oboe and bassoon in the concert band. I took a few piano lessons too. My wife plays the guitar. What do you play?

2. MaggieMoves

MaggieMoves Well-Known Member

I sing like a drowning cat. :wacky:

3. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

I played the organ first, then the clarinet, but we moved it seemed a lot so keeping with music lessons didn't happen after an upper grade move. Loved the clarinet.

4. IndyLady

IndyLady Well-Known Member

I played clarinet and piano during late elementary/jr high, but left instrumental music so I could take foreign languages (we only had six class periods per day).

5. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

played cello for two years in elementary school then oboe for about 3 years, also took enough piano to be able to plink my way through simple songs, sometimes even with both hands :)....but voice was really where I had talent and I took several years of vocal coaching

6. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Bass (decent) and guitar (barely adequate), but mainly electronic instruments -- Hammond organ and synthesizers.

7. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

Clarinet. Seems like clarinet is popular

8. SwingingAlong

SwingingAlong Well-Known Member

viola (string version of clarinet!) cello, folk violin, bit of piano, and medieval recorders all for fun. I still play on the odd occasion but would rather dance:)

9. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

I wanted to learn to sing and play an instrument my whole life but never did. Now I'm making it a priority to do some of those things i always wanted to do. I started piano a couple weeks ago!

Sania and j_alexandra like this.
  10. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

good for you....I so wish my parents had made me stick with it

11. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

Well I haven't met too many people who did ballroom dancing and play the oboe like me.

12. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

I kind of wish mine had given me lessons, but I got a horse instead. Hard to complain about that!

dancelvr and RiseNFall like this.
  13. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

"Meow, glug, meow, glug?"

14. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

Flute, piccolo, alto sax and voice here. Thought about being a music major in uni, but decided I didn't love it enough to make it my whole life.

(^ aka, the primary reason why I feel the music and don't count when I dance...)

I'm trying to learn keyboard/piano at the moment, but dance gets in the way ;)

15. MaggieMoves

MaggieMoves Well-Known Member

More like a gargle.

16. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

So here's a question: of those who play an instrument, how many have had lessons, and how many are self taught? I'm in the self-taught camp.

17. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

Private lessons. First chair youth orchestra

18. IndyLady

IndyLady Well-Known Member

Lessons. No way would my parents have bought a 9 y.o. a piano in anticipation of unguided self-teaching.

Now the clarinet was free (it was my aunt's) but that was for band, so again, formal instruction.

I did sing in the choir at church and actually joined the adult choir at 14 (upper age limit on kids' choir) but didn't stick with it. I also tried to learn guitar when I was 18 but fingers hurt. I didn't learn discipline/practice until college, sadly I had skated by on talent alone until that point.

19. bia

bia Well-Known Member

Viola power! Me, too. Plus lots of years of piano, but it was the orchestral playing I always liked best. I was quite serious about it for a good while, but haven't played much lately. Decided during grad school that I could really only manage one non-school thing, and chose dance. Maybe again someday; the joint university-community orchestra here is distinctly non-cringe-worthy. Somehow I keep not joining it, though, so it kinda looks like I don't want to.

Sania likes this.
  20. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Private lessons and school band.