General Dance Discussion > Does it make sense to teach an advanced class?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by AirColor, Jul 29, 2017.

1. AirColor

AirColor New Member

In terms of running a business. Since there are more beginners than socially intermediate dancers, and more intermediate dancers than advanced, it makes sense to focus mostly on the beginners (which all studios do). While hosting an advanced class may attract advanced dancers, thus enriching the social dance scene with higher level dancers, in my experience advanced dancers don't even attend classes. While as a student I have benefitted a lot from taking poorly attended advanced classes, in terms of running a studio does it make sense to have advanced classes with much smaller number of students?

2. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

Much depends upon 2 things; The volume of attendees , and the quality of the teaching.

The very last studio in which I gave class work,( States ) was before the social began.

I took the beginners class and another teacher had the Interm./Advanced, both running at the same time. My class consistently had 30 plus( every week for at least a year ) and the other class about 10 to 15 .

The classes were charged separately from the social.

This was in a large metro area of a major city ,so this might not work as well in smaller towns.

3. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

In the end it will be kind of a mixed calculation. Though unprofitable you should try to stick advanced dancers to your studio. Try to offer summer specials or special workshops.

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  4. PaulBunyon

PaulBunyon Active Member

I have the same "doubt" as you, you probably won't attract enough advanced dancers to make the class a viable. That said, my studio offers intermediate and advanced classes and many beginners attend them because they don't see themselves as beginners.

5. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

At the start of a social? No. It'll be really rare that any advanced dancers will be there... though I guess that does depend on what you see as 'advanced'.

I do think that there is space, in certain markets that have a critical mass, for an advanced/competitors class - seriously technique heavy, sometimes with supervised rounds, next to no patterns taught (as they're expected to know them already). I attended one of these while on vacation last year, and it was awesome. It was specifically designated as a gold + class, and you were expected to know and be able to execute all of the syllabus figures with a decent level of proficiency. And if you didn't, they didn't slow everyone else down to explain. The class I took was an hour on different ways to express a series of figures. I would go to that kind of class on a pretty regular basis.

Sadly, the 'advanced' group class in most studios, at least around here, is max full-silver. And as everyone wants to be 'advanced', generally everyone is in one class higher than they probably should be, the class ends up being something like full-bronze. Even the one or two that I have taken that were "come learn a gold/open routine!" were open routines with bronze-level execution.

6. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

No, call it master class and make it a monthly event.

MaggieMoves likes this.
  7. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

Call it a master class...... by invitation only.

Just make sure a top level pro teaches it

opendoor likes this.
  8. flying_backwards

flying_backwards Active Member

I do believe it makes sense to teach an advanced class, not for the negligible profit in money, but rather, for the profit of creating a goal for less advanced students to aspire and the creation of a community of classmates.

There is one standard class at our studio not listed on the schedule. Eventually students find out about it and that it is by invitation. This is a goal for them; they feel accomplished when/if they get invited, usually after at least a year. Some come to watch our class. It is way too small to ever make much profit. Entirely technique, if a choreo is used, our teacher calls it out as figure names, expecting we know the figures. The same warm-up exercises for specific body actions are used as in the bronze classes, but with more dimensions and more precise corrections. Only one of us does not go to bronze classes also. All of us compete. All of us take several private lessons a week. I do feel a stronger tie to the studio thru my classmates than if I only had private lessons there.

In our bronze class we do only bronze figures, but our teachers refuse to compromise on technique. It is common to spend a whole 45 minutes on half a natural, or on continuous feather step three step, or on progressive link and promenade close. And at the end of such a class the teacher is likely to say "I see you practice you no practice. Exam next week or we do again".

True, we lose some students from the pressure, the high expectations, from injury due to the intense and prolonged drilling perhaps more appropriate for young dancers. And we lose some who cannot tolerate being corrected. But those who stay progress. And by sharing the challenge we become close friends.

j_alexandra and Larinda McRaven like this.