DWTS season 19

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by sbrnsmith, Aug 13, 2014.

1. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Well-Known Member

The pros for season 19 announced today. Along with old favorites, there are 3 new pros- heard of Artem Chigvinsky, not the other two.

2. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

Allison Holker was on SYTYCD, and that weird short series by Nigel Lithgoe that sent two choreographers around the US to find a bunch of dancers to put together a performance in only several weeks (A Chance To Dance?)

3. IndyLady

IndyLady Well-Known Member

I'm becoming increasingly disillusioned with this show (yes, late to the bandwagon, I know) but will probably watch anyways. Sharna was a huge favorite of mine so I'm bummed that she will not be there this season. Surprisingly, Maks' departure doesn't bother me all that much, he lost his bad boy appeal when he partnered with Meryl.

No disrespect to Allison, but I thought she was a contemporary/jazz dancer. Does this mean that DWTS is moving away from being a "ballroom" show and closer to the SYTYCD format? It's hard to believe there was a shortage of well-trained ballroom pros that they could have picked from.

4. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

They tried this before with Tyne. She was lousy Allison was in bwat way back when and will do a better job. Next twitch will be on lol

IndyLady likes this.
  5. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I think they have used SYTYCD finalists before as the pros.

I wonder if a lot of the ballroom pros want to be on the show? There are a lot of super talented, retired from competition pros out there. I would imagine it definitely increases one's visibility and net worth to participate. Many seem to use it to start new careers...Julianne Hough acted in several movies and released an album, Mark Ballas is singing, Derek just wrote a book....to name some...

6. MaggieMoves

MaggieMoves Well-Known Member

I'll probably watch the clips on YouTube when someone uploads them.

Hedwaite and Loki like this.
  7. Mr 4 styles

the show is still good for dance and ballroom in particular keep that in mind

8. sbrnsmith

I watch it as a stress reliever and a guilty pleasure, not for serious ballroom dancing....it's a good couple of hours of cheesy fun with glitter and sparkle and some dance thrown in

Lioness, dancelvr, Loki and 1 other person like this.
  9. Mr 4 styles

You can watch karina for technique tho

10. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

I'll probably keep watching, even though I don't have a great deal of respect for the quality of dance I see. I'll miss Maks, though. Yum. 'Nuff said.

Sania and IndyLady like this.
  11. sbrnsmith

Now that Maks has won the coveted Mirror Ball trophy, he probably wants to take a break. He was always entertaining to watch though

12. DerekWeb

DerekWeb Well-Known Member

Looking at the new pros competition records on dancesportinfo.com, they just do not measure up to Karina, Maks, Val, the Hough siblings, Louis VA, etc.

13. Mr 4 styles

surprised that they will try Allison Holker tho if any non ballroom girl can pull it off its her. Oh and im sure she and Derek will dance something amazing

14. phazesix

phazesix New Member

I just watched the AfterBuzz TV review of this week's SYTYCD & they talked about Allison being on DWTS (b/c the same host does the DWTS reviews). She said Allison is from Utah went to Derek's studio so she is def. ballroom trained...not sure to what degree but I'm guessing he put in a good word for her to get on the show! Makes me feel a little better about it then, I was afraid it was going to be another Tyne Stecklein debacle! Allison was SOOOO amazing in this week's SYTYCD, of course it was contemporary, but still... the girl is good!

I'm not really into Artem that much, we'll have to see how it goes. I'm not surprised he's a pro now though since he was already on Strictly for a couple of seasons. I was actually shocked he was in the troupe last season instead of being a pro.

15. Wannabee

Wannabee Well-Known Member

I'm glad Derek, Mark, Karina, Val, Tony, and Cheryl are back. I get a warm-fuzzy feeling when they are on the show (whether I like them or not lol). Sort of like everything pumpkin during fall. Just feels right ;)

I haven't heard any rumors about the celebs for the upcoming season. Anyone else got the low-down? Oddly, it seems most rumors have proven decently accurate with regards to who ends up on the show.

sbrnsmith likes this.
  16. Mr 4 styles

shania twain so far is rumored

oh and andy and her fiancee from the bachelorette

17. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I'd like that!

18. sbrnsmith

I must disagree....I have had enough of 'the bachelorette' and her fiance....can we get some real B list celebs please!

Sania likes this.
  19. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I loved Josh and Andi! I like Shania Twain too. As long as I actually can recognize the celebs, I'm happy!

20. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Maks is implying (if not saying outright) he's done being a pro on DWTS.