DWTS season 19

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by sbrnsmith, Aug 13, 2014.

1. MaggieMoves

MaggieMoves Well-Known Member

They just went back to live for me. Oh well.

2. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

I'm reasonably ok with Bethany going home (and my having been wrong about her followers keeping her in). The remaining female stars were lumped pretty closely together at this point for me, so there was a certain measure of six of one, half dozen of the other. As far as Alfonso goes, it's probably a good thing that I accepted the presence and value of ringers a while ago. For a "star", his foot speed is just sick. He's a joy to watch though, both because he can actually bring it on the dances and because he seems like one of the best people the show's had.

3. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Well-Known Member

If I never have to see Mark dancing in that Duck Dynasty outfit and beard, it will be ok.

chachachacat, Lioness and nikkitta like this.
  4. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

that whole routine was horrid, IMO. Hoppiest Samba ever, intentional or not. Did not deserve 10s by any means.

Lioness likes this.
  5. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Well-Known Member

I also did not care for Mark and Sadie's freestyle.

6. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

I am so on board the Janel and Val train. I love Alfonso as well but they're my faves.

7. Angel HI

Angel HI Well-Known Member

I have come to dislike dwts and not watch on a regular basis, but must say "Contrats to a long time personal friend. Go get'em Tap Dance Kid!"

FoxTrotExtrovert likes this.
  8. FoxTrotExtrovert

FoxTrotExtrovert Active Member

I was very happy to see Alfonso win. He was my favorite since his first dance and I actually thought he might get voted out early because Whitney didn't have the fan base of Derek, Mark and Val. Can't wait to see him live on tour! (I haven't seen him since he was the Tap Dance kid when I was a kid! :D)

ChaChaMama likes this.
  9. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

got tix for the tour and a meet and greet can't wait to tell witney how awesome her choreo was

ChaChaMama likes this.
  10. dncergrl

dncergrl Active Member

I just had a chance to watch the Freestyle. Did anyone notice Alfonso's tap movements did not correspond to the tap sounds, esp in the third bar of his solo. His actual tapping was single taps and the sounds were double. Maybe Whitney was tapping off to the side, but I think they were not even wearing tap shoes during the live show. Now, his tapping was pretty good, but it makes me wonder if tap sounds were dubbed. PS I do like her choreography.

11. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

DanceSpirit has a cover story on Witney this month. The article includes a review of SYTYCD to DWTS transplants.

Regarding the taps...
    Didn't notice it, but years ago when River Dance et al was big I noticed that there was tapping and leaping occurring simultaneously. My friend thought I was crazy. Later, it turned into something embarrassing for the production when someone admitted that, yes, the tapping sounds weren't from the taps.

12. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Tap sounds might have been dubbed, or it's a time lag. I have noticed even with "live" TV there is a sound/video difference. (Yes, I probably pay way too close attention to these things. What can I say.)

13. TwoRightFeet

TwoRightFeet Active Member

I just finished reading the article. I'd always been impressed with Witney's choreography. One thing I didn't realize was that her "dance-sister" Lindsay Arnold choreographs most of the commercial break routines. I'd like to see more of Lindsay and her choreography in the main part of the show, rather than just as a troupe dancer. Another surprise to me was this quote from Witney on her teaching experience prior to DWTS: "I’d never really taught before".