DWTS Season 20

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by sbrnsmith, Feb 11, 2015.

1. IndyLady

IndyLady Well-Known Member

Sort of...10 weeks allows your brain and body time to let things sink in, whereas squeezing those hours into one week is a less effective blitzkrieg.

On that note - I thought they had a few weeks to prepare before the first show. I recall someone on a prior season expressing how hard week 2 was because they only had a week to learn that routine.

2. Newdancer81

Newdancer81 Active Member

And I guess these people are like super pros too?

3. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

These routines are barely a minute long. A good pro can put that together in a few hours or less

IndyLady likes this.
  4. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

You mean the pros? The old guard (Anna, Karina, Derek, Mark, etc) are all highly accomplished (black pool finalists or champions in Latin for the four I listed), the newer folks are generally notable for appearing on SYTYCD more than pure excellence in the ballroom sphere (Witney, Lindsey, etc).

IndyLady and theAnnelis like this.
  5. theAnnelis

theAnnelis Active Member

OK, I thought I was just looking in the wrong places. Karina, Derek, Mark - yes. National/World/Blackpool finalists or champions. (And Anna and we could add Val to that.) I remember seeing Witney and Lindsay on SYTYCD and thinking they were clones of Chelsie Hightower, except they had nowhere NEAR her technique.

Point being, yeah, you're right. The Old Guard (I like that) have the numbers to back up their ballroom experience, meanwhile the generation of pros that's coming up have barely even competed internationally. And most of them got annihilated when they did o_O

danceronice likes this.
  6. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

Annihilated is perhaps too harsh since even top 100 is a solid showing at the big international competitions. But yes, you're spot on. My coach and his then-partner apparently had a funny but harsh text exchange when Lacey Schwimmer first became a pro on DWTS (my understanding is they placed a couple rounds ahead of her at the last Blackpool she competed). FWIW, I would definitely add Val and Anna to that list - amateur or pro-rising-star finalist at Blackpool probably is at least if not more difficult than under-21 champion (though it comes later in a career too).

7. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

And really, I wouldn't blow off Tony's American-style titles. It's not equal to blackpool, but it's not a cakewalk.