Ballroom Dance > Dancing on TV > DWTS Season 21

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by sbrnsmith, Aug 19, 2015.

1. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

2. MaggieMoves

MaggieMoves Well-Known Member

The only downside of this is missing the pros showcases.

3. theAnnelis

theAnnelis Active Member

Because season 15. And although he's got the "type" that he's always given, it's not like he's never had any good partners other than her. Chynna Phillips and Audrina Patridge come to mind.

I didn't mind it...at first. But then they met their pros together, showed their packages together, AND got scored together. That's when I decided if the "people upstairs" don't let up on the whole married couple thing, it will get old REAL fast. It's no better than having to compete with your identical twin (I'm guessing).

4. slhull.13

slhull.13 Active Member

Skipping week 1, moving on to week 2!

Nick and Sharna--poor Nick stumbled a little, but the jive quality (IMO) was better than either of the PenaVegas from last week. (Eh, Carlos's was pretty good but Alexa looked a little unsteady. I could say the same thing about her salsa this week. She is ready and willing to put on a show, but I get the impression that she's not completely confident in her steps, but she seems to have to catch her balance a lot. )
    Edit--watched Carlos's jive again from last week, and it was better than I remembered it being!

Kim and Tony--HUGE GIGANTIC improvement over week 1! The routine made me smile, for the sheer fact that she performed so much better than last week. I am also one of the few who didn't actually think last week's routine was that bad--other than her being clearly nervous.

Paula and Louis--Louis KNOWS how to showcase a good, classic rumba. He gave Paula exactly the steps she needed to build her confidence back up. I liked this a lot...she was charming

Andy and Allison--poor Andy. I believe we have another victim of Allison's "enthusiasm" on our hands. Though I have to say that apart from the technique on basic box steps in last week's foxtrot, the "ballroom performance" quality has improved a bit

Tamar and Val--Wow!! I have to say--content wise, choreography wise, and polish-wise, that was my favorite dance of the night. I don't think anyone is counting her out yet, but I get the impression no one is really counting her in. Which is a shame, because I think she might be the most natural mover of the bunch. She comes across as a little abrasive, though. We will have to see with her...

Carlos and Witney--good performance. Not a wow performance. It was pleasant to watch, but I didn't love it enough to go back and watch again or anything.

Gary and Anna--I love Anna. I think she's doing exactly what she needs to with Gary and it's going to pay off. They are both super funny together.

Bindi and Derek--Bindi might be one of the cutest things I've ever seen. I think it would be hard for anyone NOT to like her. The tango to ACDC is cool and her technique was alright. I think she'll keep improving, which will be fun to see.

Alek and Lindsey--their foxtrot last week (even though DWTS has apparently decided to forgo the classical style of foxtrot completely) was really nice to watch. I was surprised at how graceful he was. He actually "leads" like a MAN. In dance, that not easy to teach. The lifts in their jazz were cool, but I wasn't in love with the routine.

Chaka and Keo: Well she DID improve this week... :(

Victor and Karina--I just Lol'd

Hayes and Emma--CIA was right--the way he used his arms when he was reaching for an extension was actually pretty good. The transitions need some polish, though, as does the frame.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
  5. MaggieMoves

MaggieMoves Well-Known Member

As much as I laughed at Victor and Karina's routine... anyone feel a bit bad about it? I mean it was borderline offensive?

6. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

It was hometown week and he was born in Mexico. So. Not really

7. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

I doubt Victor would have done it if he thought it was being offensive.

8. islandia55

islandia55 New Member

With all the lifting they have been doing on recent seasons, it seems extremely silly to take a point off when a strong pro male sweeps his partner 2 inches off the floor in a Waltz. How dangerous are the lifts they have been doing on recent seasons? At most, I’ve lifted a 40 pound box upon a shelf so have no idea what it is like to lift a person.

What about Tuesday night when Andy flipped Allison up and back on his shoulder. Was Andy stepping back rapidly as part of the choreography or to keep from falling with her? From the camera angle I couldn't tell.

How does a pro lady, like Lindsay, put her confidence in a novice to balance her seven feet in the air with one hand (on her back while turning no less) as she did Monday night?

9. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

No idea, but I wouldn't do it. I guess they're relying on the guy just being that strong that he can use brute force if something goes wrong (they should all have to watch Hines, IIRC, dropping Kym on her neck on repeat about 100 times.)

It's not really about weight, within certain limits, when it comes to lifts. It's about balance and control and momentum--the places most lifts go wrong even with people who know what they're doing are entries and exits when you're changing position. Notice a lot of the am guy/pro girl lifts, she's got one leg pointed down much of the time--that gives her a little control if the lift goes wrong-you want your hands or feet to hit the ground and control it, not your head.

islandia55 likes this.
  10. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

It did look pretty sloppy to me when they showed the replay, which is what Bruno was talking about, I'd guess.

11. slhull.13

slhull.13 Active Member

I agree, I thought it looked like he was trying to catch his balance.

I think Bruno has taken up the mantle of "technique police" since Len's departure...NOT COMPLAINING about that!! It's a refreshing look into Bruno's actual knowledge and skillset.

IndyLady likes this.
  12. slhull.13

slhull.13 Active Member

Agreed...that clearly wasn't intended to be a lift. Derek just lifted her a little too high and Bindi couldn't reach the floor anymore. The rule is good to prevent flagrant abuse, but I don't think this situation is what the rule was intended for.

So if I was CAI I would have given that point back. However, it still bugs me that that waltz had far, far more contemporary than waltz content :/

13. theAnnelis

theAnnelis Active Member

OMGOMGOMGOMG nooooooo, nobody should ever have to see that! I remember I was in my studio when that aired and we all just happened to be gathered around the front desk and when he fell on her, we all panicked. It is seriously only by some miracle that the impact didn't kill her. I wish I could unsee that, it still turns my stomach a little to think about it :covers eyes:

14. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

Realistically, couldn't that comment be a plant by the PTB to reinforce the "young blond rebel" thing they're still plugging with Derek? He's gotta run afoul of the "authority" (judges) at some point to keep that shtick going.

15. davedove

davedove Active Member

Or paralyze her, she was extremely lucky.

16. slhull.13

slhull.13 Active Member

Personally, I'm not inclined to buy too much into the "producers are conspiring to rig the show" theories. Sure, it's tv and they want to put on a good show, but I think it's more that the judges have their opinions at this point, and their own biases, and their own way they want to see things. I think Carrie Ann has turned this "lift" thing into one of her signatures, and she gets a little carried away sometimes.

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  17. theAnnelis

theAnnelis Active Member

I don't want to believe it either, but I have to because sometimes it's just so blatant when the judges make their critiques (or sometimes even their packages) that I find myself thinking "I can't possibly be THIS wrong about the dance I just saw". I solved most of the problem though, back in season 18 when they had those sickening Meryl critiques and Charlie got ripped a new one every week. I just stopped watching the judges' critiques. It does help!

If there's someone they REALLY want to ram down your throat, I'll still see it though. But skipping the critiques saves me a lot of fury.

18. PaulBunyon

PaulBunyon Member

I don't think anyone is trying to rig the show, but I do think that producers and asst producers try to create "Buzz" which they think translates into ratings. They try to create the perception of romance where there isn't any, feuds where nobody is fighting, and other "items of interest" even where nothing very interesting exists. The package edits for sure are part of this effort. I think the contestants are given suggestions about what to say and do on camera in off camera moments. They probably get baited as well. The judges might be subject to the same kind of treatment. They of course are part of the cast, so theirs might it be a list of talking points (aka a script). Influencing who stays and who goes home is a side effect of the buzz. I honestly believe they try to create Buzz for each and every one of the dancers but not all of it sticks with us, the viewing public. What does stick and they move to build on it looks like Rigging, but I don't think they care who stays and goes, only that their ratings marketing is effective.

19. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Well-Known Member

After watching tonites show, I am wondering why all the female pros are in leotards/bodysuits? All are beautiful ladies with amazing bodies. I don't think that choice of costumes is needed, even though it's a show dance. Obviously producer driven, but oh so unnecessary

theAnnelis likes this.
  20. davedove

davedove Active Member

According to the pros themselves, they design the costumes for the dance they perform with the celebrities. Of course, the producers may make suggestions.