Ballroom Dance > Dancing on TV > DWTS Season 21

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by sbrnsmith, Aug 19, 2015.

1. davedove

davedove Well-Known Member

I find it really refreshing that Bruno seems to have calmed way down this season. He's actually making reasonable comments on technique and the like.

IndyLady likes this.
  2. slhull.13

slhull.13 Active Member

Agreed!! So very much! I enjoy Bruno when he has real suggestions to contribute

3. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Well-Known Member

Still in love with Alek.
    Enjoying the comic interactions between Maks and Bruno, but WTF is going on with Maks' hair???

4. davedove

Alek has surprised me the most this season, in a favorable way. Although, the whole "Let's get Alek a date" gimmick is quickly becoming boring to me. It was cute the first time, but they're probably going to play it to death.

5. IndyLady

IndyLady Well-Known Member

Still working my way through the DVR of last week's show... Apparently "jazz" has shifted from being pseudo-contemporary to being pseudo-hip hop.

6. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

Finally getting around to watching the switch-up

I'm so over Alison.

IndyLady likes this.
  7. davedove

Jazz on the show seems to be "do whatever you think works best with the music you have". Although, the rumbas they did this week have me scratching my head a bit.o_O

Lioness, danceronice and IndyLady like this.
  8. theAnnelis

theAnnelis Active Member

I do think she's a lovely girl and was totally hoping she and Riker won last season. Now that I see her with Andy, I know it was Riker that made me think her ballroom repertoire and technique had both vastly improved. It's not even like Riker made it to the final because of or despite Allison - Allison made it to the final because of him. She does way too much in the routines and Riker is the only guy around who can match her energy. Or maybe in addition, he knew enough to help her out in the choreography department - I remember watching their rehearsals in All Access and wondering why he seemed so quiet and why they spent so much time chatting and NOT dancing. Anyway...she even made that blossoming good egg Hayes look crazy. Poor Andy got shafted LOLOL

IndyLady likes this.
  9. MaggieMoves

MaggieMoves Well-Known Member

No kidding! Andy did great with Sharna! Didn't Riker have Latin ballroom experience too? I remember someone digging something up about he and I believe his sister competing. Regardless of how well they did, it definitely gave Allison a competitive advantage if this was the case.

10. theAnnelis

theAnnelis Active Member

Riker definitely competed in a few Latin competitions with his sister as his partner. It was 7-8 years ago so they were young teens. But I wasn't surprised when I found out - that comfort in dancing and knowledge he has of his own movement doesn't come from a novice. Not to mention how you could tell he was always the one leading her...oooh, it's getting hot in here XD

I feel a little bad for Allison in the pro numbers - I'm getting the feeling that Mark always dances with her because no one else really wants to. And she's such a nice girl - I can't believe she doesn't think she's been robbed of the mirrorball before!

11. islandia55

islandia55 New Member

I have no experience with choreography... just an old lead-follow county boy. In recent seasons of DWTS, the dances by the pros all look the same to my untrained eye. They seem to use the same drops, lifts, poses and tricks. Take away the music and the Cha Cha this week looks much like the Samba, last week and the Jive in the week to come. And often the music seems to be of no particular style anyway. I don’t often see those “Wow, what was that?” moments.

It reminds of the old story about the monks who have heard the same old jokes so often over the centuries that they simply assign each joke a number. When a monk calls out, “47”, everyone laughs. (It goes on that a new monk called out “47” one day and no one laughed. He asked why and they said it was the way he told it.)

Is that the way the routines are choreographed - by the numbers? I can imagine the pros who still have celebrities to train don’t have a lot of time left to consider creativity in the ‘filler’ dances they also have to do. I used to look forward to the pros doing their magic but it seems repetitive and boring these days.

theAnnelis and MaggieMoves like this.
  12. MaggieMoves

I actually really enjoyed the dance off, but it was really clear who the favorites were.

13. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

Agree but the judges got it wrong twice

14. theAnnelis

theAnnelis Active Member

I'm not totally sure how they choreograph, but it's been said they have required figures in each dance. I don't know what those are, but I do notice I've seen promenade runs in literally EVERY. SINGLE. SAMBA.

IndyLady likes this.
  15. MaggieMoves

Fun to do... but often dreadful to watch on DWTS. Just like mashed potatoes. :(

Lioness and theAnnelis like this.
  16. sbrnsmith

Watching Nick and Sharna dance the Quickstep, I'm a bit confused- Is it not supposed to be in closed hold? They broke apart quite a bit in the middle.

17. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

Not happy about who was eliminated tonight. Nope, nope, nope. But then, it never was a true dance-ability contest.

18. IndyLady

IndyLady Well-Known Member

I hate promenade runs. It's a running (oof - pun *not* intended) joke between me and my instructor, now that I'm no longer ticked off about a couple heats we did years ago at a comp event where he apparently blanked and we literally did a minute + of nothing but promenade runs. I was so p*ssed.

19. theAnnelis

theAnnelis Active Member

See, just reading that made me angry LOL. Promenade runs used to be my favorite thing on Earth, now I see them so often I can't stand them anymore. Pretty much anyone doing them makes me think "could they not think of anything else to do?"

20. sbrnsmith

Not much interest in the season finale tonite. Bindi has a lock on the win. If anyone else gets it, I will be shocked.
    The blatant emotional manipulation with the dead dad story is too OTT, in my opinion. I was annoyed by all the fake tears last nite. I suppose it's not a dancing show anyway, so that makes it ok.
    Bindi seems to be a really sweet young lady, but I would be in a diabetic coma if I had to be around her all day. She's just too sweet and bubbly. More than I can handle.

MaggieMoves and IndyLady like this.